New civilization: Portugal

CivArmy s. 1994 said:
What should be Dom Afonso Henriques bonuses and favourite civic?

I would Say Expansive and Agressive, because he fought (against Moorish and Spanish) and expanded to build Portugal.

Favorite Civic maybe NationHood.

Shouldnt Infante Dom Henrique be organized (->lighthouse) instead of philosophical? (just my humble opinion)

CivArmy s. 1994 said:
@Raen: thanks for the advertasing on the sign!

You welcome :goodjob:

I think Portuguese unit should be a ground unit, since in game all unique units are land units and no strength in having one more move in the carrack I think.

My suggestion is:

Portuguese Arquebusier - replaces musketman
8 1 70 +25% city protection

Description:

The figure bellow represents a Portuguese Arquebusier in the campaigns of India in the XVI century. The figure was based on the tapestries of ‘D.João de Castro’ that illustrate the siege of the Fortress of Diu in India in 1546. This soldier wears a Portuguese Combed Morion and a Corslet to protect his chest. He is equipped with Matchlock Arquebus (name derived from the dutch word Haak-Bus) and a powder flask. The arquebus was the main weapon of the Portuguese in the XVI century. This soldier is dressed in a green doublet, baggy breeches, purple stockings and cow skin shoes.

History:

The Portuguese discovered the maritime way to India in 1498 with the fleet commanded by Vasco da Gama, during the Reign of D. Manuel I. At the time the coast of Malabar and the Indic Ocean was dominated by the Arabs and Turks that controlled the trade between the west, the East and Far-East.

The arrival of the Portuguese changed the balance of forces and soon they would dominate and rule the Asian seas during the entire XVI century substituting the role of the Arabs and turks. As a result, Lisbon became the most prominent city of Europe - ´the capital of the world’ . To ensure control of the seas, the Portuguese built fortresses along the eastern African coast, Malabar coast (India) and Malaca. In 1543, the Portuguese arrived to Japan and were the first Europeans to introduce Firearms in that country. The Portuguese presence in the Asian Seas lasted four centuries until the XX century (India 1961, East Timor 1974 and Macau - China 1999).

In March 1546 , during the government of D.João de Castro, the fortress of Diu built in the coast of Cambaia in India was put under siege by Kodja Sofar with an Army of 7 000 ’Guzerates’ , 1 000 Turkish and 60 artillery guns that would later be reinforced to a total of 40 000 men. The Portuguese were defending the fortress with a strength of 3 500 men in its peak of reinforcements. The great battle of Diu that took place on November 11th, 1546 in a combined action of Land and Sea (where the Portuguese had total control) forces, resulted in a triumphal victory for the Portuguese forces. This victory was key to establish a determined presence of Portugal in India. Portugal would only leave Diu in 1961 after the Invasion of the Army of the recently formed Indian Union.

Attachments

• Portuguesearquebuiser.JPG
    Portuguesearquebuiser.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 583
Why not give the Portuguese Carrack the ability to transport settlers instead? This would enable Portugal to expand to other continents before the development of the Galleon. I think thats a pretty good advantage!

Incoming9000 said:
Why not give the Portuguese Carrack the ability to transport settlers instead? This would enable the Portugal to expand to other continents before the development of the Galleon. I think thats a pretty good advantage!

Didnt tought of that, really good idea :goodjob: that for me makes more sense and is more even with other unique units.

Nau(Carrack)

Caravel: 3 3(+1 mov) 60 (+10 in my opinion)

Cargo Space: 1 (+1 in my opinion but not two settlers if that is possible) (can carry settler, scout, explorer, missionary, spy, or great people)
Can explore rival territory w/o triggering war

Oh and I totally agree with raen D.Afonso Henriques should be Agressive and Expansive, and o Infante D.Henrique should also be Organized instead of Mysticism, cause to be honest the main reason for the expansion was for wealth and trade, not for religious purposes.

Oh and the Carrack idea being able to carry settlers, sound awesome too, it could give the game a completely different twist and give a civ a true naval advantage, which historicaly is accurate.

Ho yes please bring this one on soon.

And Portugal should definitely have that carrack bonus. And Spain too if you ask me.

If we play as either Portugal or Spain in the game in a World map we get squeezed so quickly. I always start going out with my ships straight to Brasil and Africa and later to India. I'm Portuguese so I guess it's in the blood to just turn to the sea in a begging of a game. I do always end up by conquering all of Europe and renaming Madrid to Madride.

hhahahah... I'm kidding there Spanish croud, I Love You guys in a sort of the more you hit me the more I like you.

But what was I talking about. Yes. Portugal. That bonus would be a must. And also definitely Dom Afonso Henriques, he's the reason we exist.
To follow acuracy Porto was the first capital of Portugal, I say this but I'm from Lisboa.

Another thing. When I play with your Portuguese civ I always change the name of Lisbon to Lisboa which prevents me to see what city comes after Porto, problably Coimbra but then I just start making up names.

And another thing. It would be great if the cities names would come in Portuguese. Lisbon - Lisboa, Oporto - Porto.

And yet another beauty would be to have the original names of the cities. Like Lisboa - Olissipo or Coimbra - Coninbriga.

Then later on we can just change them.

Your thoughts guys?!

p.s. Salazar should be out. He did actually save us from bankruptcy at a high cost of course but I mean Hitler isn't on, and he was the most powerfull German leader. So Salazar should be out to.

Paz

I'm sorry but Coimbra's original name was Aeminium not Conimbriga, also Porto never got to be Portugal's capital city but Coimbra did. D. Afonso Henriques and D. Sancho I are buried there at Sta. Cruz church. Only with D. Afonso II the capital moved solely to Lisbon. I mean solely because even when D. Afonso Henriques was king, the ruling acts were somewhat balanced between Lisboa and Coimbra. The status of second city remained until the 2nd dinasty, remember that the court gathered there to decide who should ascend to throne because of the broken succession lineage. D. João I (father of Infante D. Henrique) was chosen.

I'd also consider D. João II as an option for Leader, considering D. Henrique never got to be king and D. João II is generaly considered as being Portugal's best ruler ever (I know it's a bit controversial this statement, let's just remember how D. João II refused Columbuses services... even considering what he asked as a reward).

CivArmy s. 1994 said:
I'll change the UU to Musketman and create the second leader to Portugal soon ;) I just need some few free time to create it, but its hard these weeks :(

Take your time :) you did a great job until now in all civs you have created, you deserve some rest too :)

CivArmy s. 1994 said:
first view of Dom Affonso Henriques... BTW, how can I call this leader (whit title): Rei Affonso I? Dom Affonso? Dom Henrique??? :confuse:

Man, exelent Job!! thats really amazing in my opinion :)

In my opinion he should be called by his (well known) name D. Afonso Henriques.

Like Infante D. Henrique instead of Prince Henry.

:goodjob:

raen said:
Man, exelent Job!! thats really amazing in my opinion :)

In my opinion he should be called by his (well known) name D. Afonso Henriques.

Like Infante D. Henrique instead of Prince Henry.

:goodjob:

I am glad u enjoyed :thanx:
I'll try add his cape and maybe any cross in the background late :D

So, it sould be:
- title: Dom
- name: Afonso Henriques

A question: What, exactly, in your language does the word "dom" mean?

Shqype said:
A question: What, exactly, in your language does the word "dom" mean?

Didnt knew translation to english until I have searched about it:

Dom

From Latin Dominu,

Portuguese Honorific Title meaning Lord in english

Infante

from Latin Infante

Son of a king, but not heir to the throne

Top Bottom