1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Civilization: Vikings

Discussion in 'Civ4 - New Civilizations' started by CivArmy s. 1994, Nov 20, 2005.

1. CivArmy s. 1994

CivArmy s. 1994 Deity

I don't know, I'm waiting for the Civ4 *.NIF importer/exporter/editor . I expect use all these static models to create the future animated LHs.

-----------------------------

ON POST NUMER 01: THE NEW VERSION IS READY, WITH 2ND LEADERHEAD, BERSERKER AS UU, NEW CITY LIST...
    enjoy :D

2. Munterpipe

Munterpipe Clums

great work!

3. himasaram

himasaram Chieftain

Very well done, CivArmy.

The flag you use is very pretty but have quite low contrast.

If you want to you can use the Gunfani (raven) banner I made for Freeciv. Attached to this post in two versions. It might need some remixing to work as a Civ4 vertical banner, but the results could be really nice loooking. :)

Attached Files:

4. la cosa nostra

la cosa nostra Godfather

I played my last two (half) games with this civ, nice work civarmy.

5. Optimizer

Optimizer Sthlm, SWE

It's true that "Viking" is a bad term, comparable with calling the Americans "cowboys". Use the term "Norsemen" instead.

The Berserker is a good unit choice, but it should have Woodsman I, so that it gets useful on inland maps too. Moreover, it should replace Maceman, to fit the chronology better.

6. v0iDDr0iD

v0iDDr0iD Chieftain

"it should replace Maceman, to fit the chronology better."

I agree.

7. Banira

Banira Chieftain

8. Jarrod32

Jarrod32 Warlord

I like an earlier UU suggestion to apply the amphibious attack capability to the ship. Maybe a longboat - replacing the galley - that give amphibious attack benefits to any unit attacking from it, along with +1 movement, and the ability to cross ocean squares. Those are significant upgrades.

I know that to suggest something other than a berzerker is going to be met with scorn, and make no mistake...I loved the berzerker in Civ 3. But the longboat seems to me to be a fair improvment, but not too overpowered. The Civ IV UUs don't seem to be that much more powerful than the units they replace (with a few exceptions).

9. CivArmy s. 1994

CivArmy s. 1994 Deity

thanks for enjoying the civ!!! :D

the UU case and the civ name case were debated weeks/mounths ago ;)

10. C_ivil-I-ZATION

C_ivil-I-ZATION Chieftain

Where do I put these files so that it works?

I readme would have been an idea :goodjob:

11. Banira

Banira Chieftain

We know it was debated earlier, but there isn't any good reason why not to do the distinct and unique longship, except that you don't want to. If that's the case, fine. But as you stated, the longship is an "easy change"*, so why not?

If you ever want to proceed and inlcude the longship, think about giving it the ability to cross ocean, albeit at a speed of 1. It's base movement or strength could be increased instead/also.

I can't recall why, but I couldn't get the civ to work.

12. Morred

Morred Warlord

Just a note about the leaders. King Canute wasn't actually Viking, he was Danish and he ruled England. He was also king at a very different time period to the Vikings. So I don't think he should be used. Instead could I suggest Erik the Red, or Leif Eriksson?

13. CivArmy s. 1994

CivArmy s. 1994 Deity

I must add a read me with instruction how to do the civ works, its a good idea :D Many people have asked how it works on these boarders, e-mails, PMs...

14. Morred

Morred Warlord

...So. Does my suggestion have merit?

15. Carewolf

Carewolf Gammelt røvhul

No, not really.

Knud (Canute) was danish king during the viking age and is therefore suitable. The others you mentioned were outcasts and never leaders.

Ofcourse since vikings was the nordic word for outcasts you could argue that so should the leaders of a viking civ, but you just getting into more and more fantasy.

16. Morred

Morred Warlord

Oh please, if you're going to go by that logic, why don't we just use William the Conqueror? He's Norman, and Normans are descendants of the Vikings gone Christian. Erik the Red did things, His son discovered America, what did Canute do? Drown himself trying to get the tide to do his bidding.
    :rotfl:
    I love that story :)

17. Tiedt

Tiedt Chieftain

The term viking is really ok to use. Its not a name for a nation but its widely used as a term for the scandinavian culture from about 700 - 1050 ad.
    This time period is called "the viking era" or "-age". Politically scandinavia was divided into numerous tiny kingdoms, almost every chieftain was called "king". Only at the very end of the viking era there was formed something which could be called an empire. But by then the distinct nations of scandinavia had already formed, the Danish being the largest. The details of that empire under "Canute the great" or as he is called in danish "Knud den Store" has lready been pointed out earlier in this thread.

18. PleRider

PleRider Chieftain

There`sa lot of misinformation about the Vikings, Norsemen and Scandinavians. even most of the stuff I learned at scool here in Norway has showed up to be myths or plain misinformation. They shure didn`t wear Celtic helmets (w.horns) and was not just local pirates located around the North sea. They dominated Europe for centuryes, with territory from Moscov to Rome. (Russian means "blonde" btw.)They also had "ten cityes"in Africa astrade-stations. When I see Civ.IV w.out any Norsemen I..:rolleyes:
    Theyr leaders were well known by the Romans, Cesar used Vikings
    as life-guards, his elite-soldiers were trained by Vikings, known for unmatched performance, exspecially unarmed. The island Cicily is named after a Viking-kings daughter, and was ruled by Vikings for cenurys. They also were known as fearful fighters as late as the year of 1400; see "Valdemar Sejr" - tale about famous Danish king. When he sometimes couldn`t handle the larger German army he called for the wild Norwegians. And when/if they arrived, the Germans just run fortheyr lives.

And Viking cityes? Viken, Tunsberg, Hamar, Bjørgvin, Nidaros, Tvedestrand, Kaupang, Farsund, Langesund, Seljord and Nordagutu are good old Viking cityes. The king should definetly be Harald Haarfagre, the one that wouldn`t cut hishair until Norway was under one king. He was known for his beautiful long hair..:lol:

Btw; Sweden (Svearige) was founded by Vikings that were sendt away because of shoving covardness in fight, cold hard facts:eek: :mischief:

But beside all this I`m looking forwardto uppgrade my Civ.III:king:

19. Nials

Nials Prince

Your post definitely has a lot of misinformation as well.

The Viking era took place several centuries after Caesar died. Furthermore, there is no evidence that the Vikings had or founded cities in neither Africa or stretched their territory to Rome. However, the general belief does seem to indicate that they indeed did explore these areas.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Vikings-Voyages.png

20. tombeef

tombeef King

I can't get this mod to work, i extracted the files to the custom assets file in Civ 4, but when i load up the game, nothing happens. Somebody please help!! What do I do to get this to work?!