New Claim Territory Button for Fixed Borders!

TechXLtd

Prime Directorate
THIS THREAD HAS BECOME TEMPORARILY OBSOLETE DUE TO THE EFFECTS OF A.N.D. 1.53
PLEASE RESEARCH [INSERT FUTURETECH HERE] TO REESTABLISH ACCESS ON [NONDESCRIPT DATA]...

Compatible with A New Dawn 1.52 w RoM 2.81

There should be no bugs or errors since I only changed one line of xml to reference the ClaimTerritory.dds. Any suspected issues should preferably be reported to the main mod/modmodder.

Feel free to ask any questions pertaining to the graphic or A.N.D 1.52.

After fiddling around with several ideas and failed attempts to make an acceptable button for the "Claim Territory" command to replace the ugly pillage button used to represent said command I present to you my new Claim Territory V2.0 button for Afforess's Fixed Borders Option by Dexy.

Spoiler :
Ver 2.0

I will upgrade the button to something more hi-res and/or detailed later on when I find good either better graphics or I get idea feedback.

Feel free to request button art and a layout if you wish for your mods/modmods if you feel like you need some spare help :goodjob:

Install Procedures
Spoiler :
To install, simply unrar/unzip and overwrite the Rise of Mankind folder.

This is NOT saved game compatible. For future releases I will release just the .dds file unless specifically noted. These "Upgrades" will be saved game compatible.

Credits
Spoiler :
Asioasioasio for the photoshop layouts/backgrounds
Google Images for the clip art and ideas
Dexy for making Fixed Borders
Afforess for making A.N.D.
Zappara for RoM
Firaxis and the makers of Civ 4

Attachments

• Claim Territory for Fixed Borders.rar
    9.4 KB · Views: 179
  • Claim Territory for Fixed Borders fix.rar
    8.7 KB · Views: 203
Hey, neat icon, but I noticed that it doesn't have the typical transparency around the edge; This means it will likely look funny next to other icons that do have the transparency. I'm not sure which program you used to make the icon, but it's pretty easy in Photoshop or the GIMP to get the border to look proper.
I use the template attached to this post: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=5079055&postcount=16, which features megenta around the edges that you select and clear to make the transparency happen -- I recommend that you either make use of it as well, or find another way to fix the borders if the icon.

[If you need/want additional instructions for anything, I can probably help some more.]

Hey, neat icon, but I noticed that it doesn't have the typical transparency around the edge; This means it will likely look funny next to other icons that do have the transparency. I'm not sure which program you used to make the icon, but it's pretty easy in Photoshop or the GIMP to get the border to look proper.
I use the template attached to this post: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=5079055&postcount=16, which features megenta around the edges that you select and clear to make the transparency happen -- I recommend that you either make use of it as well, or find another way to fix the borders if the icon.

[If you need/want additional instructions for anything, I can probably help some more.]
I thank you for that, I did notice that once I started playing. When I'm finished, I'll get around to fixing it. It shouldn't take but a minute to fix and another to upload. Yes I did use PhotoShop and I have GIMP installed. I'm just too lazy to use GIMP at the moment though because I am more PhotoShop literate ;)

EDIT: Uploaded new fix for the file as well as updating main file. Fix is for those that already downloaded the main file. The fix IS savegame compatible.

I thank you for that, I did notice that once I started playing. When I'm finished, I'll get around to fixing it. It shouldn't take but a minute to fix and another to upload. Yes I did use PhotoShop and I have GIMP installed. I'm just too lazy to use GIMP at the moment though because I am more PhotoShop literate ;)
EDIT: Uploaded new fix for the file as well as updating main file. Fix is for those that already downloaded the main file. The fix IS savegame compatible.

All right, good job -- see, it was pretty easy! :)

pertaining to "something more hi-res and/or detailed" i think what you have is pretty good, but just needs a little more photoshop filters. IMO you should do two things: 1. copy paste the flag so there's two, paint the second one completely black, put an alpha gradient on it so it's see through, then make it fuzzy and distort it to make it look like it's a shadow on the grass.
2. fiddle around with the sharpen, blur, sponge, dodge and burn filters on both flags to make it match the grass's texture so it looks more like it's one piece than something that's been modified by someone other than the original artist.
I hope you take this as constructive criticism.

I have a question: could it be modded that claiming territory costs some gold? Like a negative instead of positive pillaging value formula attached to the claiming. The sum could be a fixed one or a sum connected to the value of others already having culture there. In my games I now claim what I get but I manage to hold off settling others there. Even at war they can't settle in my territory that is unrealistic. The AI doesn't go there and just claim the land like I do. Btw. if enemy has fixed borders, too, the claimed tiles get assimilated very next turn again if surrounded by culture, so the AI would never ever be able to get a whole continent or any large area I claimed completely. That is not plausible unless you have to pay a huge amount of gold to do so, slowing down the process in the early stages. You still could claim important coastal strongholds like ancient nations did, but claiming something means to invest peoples power, time, equipment etc. - represented by some gold. I'd say 10-20-40-100-500 gold per claimed tile is a good amount, defined by aera of course, if possible.. just some thoughts.

Nice new button btw! Hopefully it will be in next A.N.D. beta^^

I have a question: could it be modded that claiming territory costs some gold? Like a negative instead of positive pillaging value formula attached to the claiming. The sum could be a fixed one or a sum connected to the value of others already having culture there. In my games I now claim what I get but I manage to hold off settling others there. Even at war they can't settle in my territory that is unrealistic. The AI doesn't go there and just claim the land like I do. Btw. if enemy has fixed borders, too, the claimed tiles get assimilated very next turn again if surrounded by culture, so the AI would never ever be able to get a whole continent or any large area I claimed completely. That is not plausible unless you have to pay a huge amount of gold to do so, slowing down the process in the early stages. You still could claim important coastal strongholds like ancient nations did, but claiming something means to invest peoples power, time, equipment etc. - represented by some gold. I'd say 10-20-40-100-500 gold per claimed tile is a good amount, defined by aera of course, if possible.. just some thoughts.

You're asking in the wrong thread buddy, look here

Ah yeah thx! I was a bit confused I guess...3:32 am here...

I hope you take this as constructive criticism.
Of course ;). As I said earlier in a thread that escapes my memory at the moment, I only learned how to use photoshop in a matter of hours as well as learning to use gimp in minutes. So of course I'm open to deconstructive criticism :lol:.

I'm proficient enough in XML and Python to do something of the sort. However, I kind of like the current "free claiming" of the land. As for the tiles being assimilate when surrounded, that was a feature that I believe Dexy introduced to keep borders clean and as he said "shredded" at the end of a war.

Ah yeah thx! I was a bit confused I guess...3:32 am here...
It happens, I've been catnapping throughout the day so I know how it is :sleep:

Top Bottom