New Colonies/Leaders Discussion

TC01

Deity
v0.3 is almost finished, and I don't think anything more will be added to it.

However, for the future, I was thinking about expanding the number of colonies and leaders we have currently. We only have 6 leaders and four colonies:

American Colonies:

• Oregon Territory: John McLoughin
  • Utah Territory: Brigham Young

Mexican Colonies:

• Republic of Texas: Stephen Austin, Sam Houston
  • California Republic: John Fremont, William Ide

master_akura suggested adding either Jim Bridger or Caleb Walton West as a second Utah leader. Which one should I use? Should I use both? Any other leader suggestions (specifically for Oregon Territory, but also for Texas or California?)

He also suggested adding "New Mexico Territory". I'd love to add an additional civilization, but I think we should balance it by adding another American colony. I didn't really like "Minnesota Territory". Are there any better suggestions for another American colony? Any leader suggestions for either of these?

I'd like to add more civs/leaders by v0.4 or v0.5 at least, so I thought I'd start this discussion topic now.

whoops, sorry. Just had a look through my great migrations book and saw that you already had the Mormon settlers in the game.
New mexico would be a good colony for mexico and you could have kansas, nebraska or arkansas territories for the US.

why not add one of the Mormon settlers as an American colony. I don't know much about the Mormon exbeditions but I know they did settle in the west.

Yes, they settled in Utah. Hence... Utah Territory as an existing civilization.

That's another thing that needs to be done- pedia entries for everything.

EDIT: Never mind, you posted while I was posting.

Any leader ideas for any of those potential civilizations? I'd probably go with Kansas or Nebraska over Arkansas, though.

Kansas terriotory could have Andrew Horatio Reeder as a leader since he was the first govenor of the territory. he could have a trait that gives higher production rates because at the time Kansas was a pro slavery territory.
not sure who to have for Nebraska though.
Another possible Civ could be Colorado territory with Antoine Janis as a leader.

Just thinking about Dakota Territory (Montana, North and South Dakota), Indian Territory (Oklahoma), Washington Territory (Washington, Idaho), Nebraska Territory (Nebraska, Wyoming), Idaho Territory after 1863, and so on. These are all a bit north of the zone you're concentrating on in the mod, but they were being colonized and developed in parallel with the south-western territories.

The "Dakota Boom" from 1870 to 1880 saw a large influx of settlers from other western territories as well as many from Northern and Western Europe. The non-American settlers were mostly Norwegians, Germans, Swedes, and Canadians. Abraham Lincoln's cousin-in-law, J.B.S. Todd, personally lobbied for the creation of Dakota Territory, so I'd make him the LH for Dakota Territory.

Attachments

• 800px-United_States_1861-03-1861-08.png
    800px-United_States_1861-03-1861-08.png
    236.6 KB · Views: 267
  • JBSTodd.jpg
    JBSTodd.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 185
texas had its own split up during the civil war look up the Constitution of west texas for your civ revoloution. and use one of the republic of texas flags instead of the state flag also remember that the original republic of texas had part of 5 other states in it so it doesnt look like texas of today ... I need a texas civ :(

I wonder if it would be too complicated to make the DERIVATIVE_CIV field in CivilizationInfos an array? I think I saw something to this effect for Civ4 a while ago.

Setting multiple civilizations to the same parent was much easier than I previously thought - all that is needed to be done is to change every reference to "DerivativeCiv" in Civ4CivilizationsSchema.xml, CvInfos.cpp, CvInfos.h and CyInfoInterface2.cpp to "ParentCiv" and then edit CvPlayer.cpp so that this:

Code:
	//assign europe civilization as parent
	for (int iParent = 0; iParent < MAX_PLAYERS; ++iParent)
	{
		CvPlayer& kParent = GET_PLAYER((PlayerTypes) iParent);
		if(kParent.getCivilizationType() != NO_CIVILIZATION)
		{
			if(GC.getCivilizationInfo(kParent.getCivilizationType()).getDerivativeCiv() == getCivilizationType())
			{
				setParent((PlayerTypes) iParent);
				break;
			}
		}
	}

is replaced with this:

Code:
	//assign europe civilization as parent
	if(GC.getCivilizationInfo(getCivilizationType()).getParentCiv() != NO_CIVILIZATION)
	{
		for (int iParent = 0; iParent < MAX_PLAYERS; ++iParent)
		{
			CvPlayer& kParent = GET_PLAYER((PlayerTypes) iParent);
			if(kParent.getCivilizationType() == GC.getCivilizationInfo(getCivilizationType()).getParentCiv())
			{
				setParent((PlayerTypes) iParent);
			}
		}
	}

and then that this:

Code:
bool CvPlayer::isEurope() const
{
	if (getCivilizationType() == NO_CIVILIZATION)
	{
		return false;
	}

if (GC.getCivilizationInfo(getCivilizationType()).getDerivativeCiv() == NO_CIVILIZATION)
	{
		return false;
	}

return true;
}

is replaced with this:

Code:
bool CvPlayer::isEurope() const
{
	if (getCivilizationType() == NO_CIVILIZATION)
	{
		return false;
	}

for (int iChild = 0; iChild < MAX_PLAYERS; ++iChild)
	{
		CvPlayer& kChild = GET_PLAYER((PlayerTypes) iChild);
		if(kChild.getCivilizationType() != NO_CIVILIZATION)
		{
			if(GC.getCivilizationInfo(kChild.getCivilizationType()).getParentCiv() == getCivilizationType())
			{
				return true;
			}
		}
	}

return false;
}

The Civ4CivilizationInfos.xml would have to be edited as well, so that the <DerivativeCiv> tags are replaced with <ParentCiv> ones, and changing the civilization references accordingly (for instance, with the original Civ4Col civilizations, that would mean setting CIVILIZATION_ENGLAND's <ParentCiv> field to CIVILIZATION_ENGLAND_EUROPE, while setting CIVILIZATION_ENGLAND_EUROPE's <ParentCiv> field to NONE.

It seems to work... My only concern would be what happened if two civs had the same parent, and one declared a revolution and the other didn't.

Would the REF be twice the size, like it is if two players sign a Permanent Alliance? Would the King have a separate REF per colony?

I suspect he wouldn't, but without testing or a better understanding of how things work, I can't definitively say. All I know is that prior to Revolution, the REF units are stored in the King's Europe.

It seems to work... My only concern would be what happened if two civs had the same parent, and one declared a revolution and the other didn't.

Would the REF be twice the size, like it is if two players sign a Permanent Alliance? Would the King have a separate REF per colony?

I suspect he wouldn't, but without testing or a better understanding of how things work, I can't definitively say. All I know is that prior to Revolution, the REF units are stored in the King's Europe.

I haven't tested that, but though I thought too that it was stored in the King's Europe, after taking a look at CvPlayer.cpp it seems that the REF units aren't stored in the King's Europe, but rather in the m_aEuropeRevolutionUnits array in the child.

I haven't tested that, but though I thought too that it was stored in the King's Europe, after taking a look at CvPlayer.cpp it seems that the REF units aren't stored in the King's Europe, but rather in the m_aEuropeRevolutionUnits array in the child.

Ah. Looking at CvTeam::doRevolution, I see that REF units are spawned in Europe when revolution occurs.

Still, though, I could see a problem where one civ revolts and is crushed, and the REF still on the field joins with the REF for the other civ.

Delivering on my very late promise.

Here is William B Ide.

The attached rar should be all the files

Thanks Ekmek! I'll include this in the next patch/version.

Top Bottom