New combat mechanics suggestion

You never know how true is story because both sides will tell different story...
But this was from source about Napoleon vs Russia war... Napoleon superb tactic before was "big army vs big army" in one 1 battle while some fast/very skilled units would flank attack some moments later..
But there was one general in Russia side who knew this and decide to run away (he said: keep them walking after us and wait for oportunity, because 1 vs 1 fight would be suicide mission). But many of people (including others generals and soldiers ofcourse) were more than unhappy about that and in just a very short moment army got new general... 1 that wanted to face Napoleon army.. but who had no idea about "flanking attack" trick.
So they sent scout to say "we are ready for big battle"... That morning Napoleon army was more than ready to attack (including 40000 men flanking attack force that would crash that moment Russian military).. but this new general was too drunk to wake up early enough.. and when he did... well - scouts already had find out about this "back-up force" and they managed to run away.. few more beers saved many thousands of man :) So drink beer and be saved :D
/I don't want to say this was 100% sure and i guess I forgot some details.. but this is just about "everything can happen" thing inside civ4 too./

I think the combat in Civ IV is fine, but there should be some abstract Manpower resource so that there is still a cost for victorious nations. It's rediculous that you can crush a huge army with your stack and barely survive, but 3 turns later everyone is healed and it's like there was never a war at all.

Agreed. I'm considering some options here
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=559625
I also changed the max % a unit can heal outside of border, inside enemy borders, and inside own borders, with the only place a unit can heal 100% is inside own city. Newly captured cities can't heal units at all, until the city is out of disorder.
I'm even considering that units can only heal inside own cities and will take hammers to do so, though it will take some extra work with the AI to work properly.

A second thing I changed in my mod is that a dead civs culture doesn't magically disappears when a civs last city is captured, and on top of that I changed it so that foreign culture affects the commerce output, so it only give half. So when capturing a city and there is 0% own culture it gives 50% commerce. When city have 50% own culture it gives 75% commerce etc etc.

Top Bottom