New comers

Zearo

Part Time Revolutionary
The two silhouettes walked slowly along to the roads. They both seemed intrigued, even amazed by the sight of the roads. One knelt down, feeling the stones that lined the road. The other remained standing, his posture imaculate. The woman, kneeling, began to out reach her arms, and muttered words in a strange dialect, as if in worship.
"Becareful what you do Anaia, the people might not be so accepting of stange behaviour. You might upset them."
"I am not affraid of people, Zearo. The gods are far more powerfull than any mortal."
"I disagree. People are far more dangerous than any god will ever be."
"You may laugh but the gods took my son, and my husband. I have nothing left to treasure, but the gods will sure enough find something else to take if I do not appease them."
Zearo looked at her with pity. He walked on. The tribe that lived here seemed strange. A strange looking man carrying a toad. Another man playing with a small beast. And a woman carrying a fish.
"This is by far the strangest place we have come to", Zearo spoke softly.
"But there is food in abundance! we should stay here. We will never go hungry again!"
"Thats if we stay"
"Well I'm staying". Zearo looked shocked.
"You can't be serious!"
"Why would you want to leave?"
Zearo turned around to look at the tribe once again.
"Fine. we'll stay around. but Anaia, what ever you do, do not submit to thier crude customs. If you do I will leave this village myself!"
And with that he left Anaia, and went to introduce himself to the man with the dog.

"Hey Dog! Here boy!" Dog glanced back at his master but didn't slow the last few bounds to grab the bone-like stick in his mouth. Turning back, Dog noticed what Cyc had already seen. Dog knew not to disobey and went to Cyc, who was now kneeling with a piece of jerky in his hand.

Satified, Cyc rose and looked to the man walking towards him. He had a proud, confident walk. Had probably served in someone's military. Maybe he was educated. And he had a woman with him. Cyc cleaned his hands with the dry dirt as the man approached.

"Greetings stranger," Cyc called out, extending a hand. The stranger grimaced and squinted, as the sun was behind Cyc. He nodded at Cyc, but kept his eye on Dog, as he too lifted his hand.

"I hope all is well. Have you journeyed far? I see your friend is resting, or giving thanks." Cyc mused in a lower voice. The visitor smiled and glanced back before responding.

"My name is Zearo, and yes, we have come far. We do require some food and drink if there is some available. And who might you be?"

"Cyc is my name. Lived in these parts most of my life. I know most everyone and can probably help you and your friend become settled, if that's what you wish. Ah..., you are planning on staying, are you not?'

Zearo smiled softly "We are staying. We cannot go back to where we were." His face hardened.
"We once lived in a tribe, know as the english. It was a wondeful place. A real city"
Cyc looked perplexed "a... city?"
"Yes. many houses, built all over the place."
"Why did you ever leave?" Asked Cyc.
"A fire ravaged the village. Every single last house was burned. Then the fights started. Some of us wanted to rebuild. Others, like me, wanted to move on and forage.
At first we were contented to go our seperate ways. But the people who wanted to stay were angry. Many of strongest men, and the best house builders wanted to move. They did awful things. Many people were beaten to death, my father among them. In the end the men the "stayers" wanted stayed." The "movers" moved on as planned."
"So what happend to you all?"
"The rains came. And with the rains illness. We were to tired, and to sick to hunt. Some died of starvation. Others died of illness. Some went back to the city. At the end of winter, four were still alive. Out of the four only two made it here today."
Zearo sighed briefly. Cyc took a step back.
"You are welcome to stay here for as long as you want."
Zearo nodded, and thanked Cyc for his genrosity.

Cyc called on Maeghan to help Anaia clean up. The two travelers freshened after their long journey, ate, and rested. Both had bathed in the creek and upon returning, Jodoc the witch examined them. Afterwards, Cyc let them rest in his home. Cyc had put Dog outside.

While eating, Cyc learned of Anaia's spiritual side. He advised her to seek out Sinead. They would get along well. He then inquired about Zearo.

"When you lived in this city, please tell me it's name, before the fire, what did you do for a living? And these English, they sound a bit treacherous. Are they approachable?"

At that moment, Degwyn burst into the hut, with a barrel of fresh maple syrup in both of his hands, each bearing the words Maple River and the company's emblem, a maple leaf.
"Would you like to buy maple syrup for the this festive occasion? I think you would. It is only five pounds of gold for each barrel of rich delight!"
Cyc sighed.
"Only? I'd rather think that is quite expensive, Degwyn. But I will buy it anyways."
Degwyn pulled a out brass scale and counted out 10 poundweights, each finely cut and crafted, bearing a maple leaf. After filling one end of the scale, Cyc added and removed gold until the scale was at perfect balance, and then Degwyn greedily grabbed the gold, poundweights and scale and shoved them in his bag, thankful to the Guru for providing one very handy invention to Hibernia.
"Pleasure doing business with you, sir." recited Degwyn while Cyc collected the barrels and put them in the cellar of his hut.

Degwyn left as quickly as he had entered. Cyc returned to was he was doing, first offering Zearo a sample of the syrup. Tasting it, Zearo smiled and continued with his tale.

Cyc listened intently as Zearo described the old city and the people who had inhabited it. Zearo would not say the name of the old city, as he had sworn never to repeat the vile name again. He was not sure what the name of the new city would be. It seemed the main difference between Tara and this "other place" was that this other place was a seaport. With direct access to the ocean,s waters, commerce flourished there.

"So were you a builder of water vessels?...a merchant, perhaps? Maybe you were a builder of houses like your father?"

While Cyc waited for a response from the man, his mind wandered to the image of this other place Zearo had described. Tara had great farming lands and access to a river, but Cyc had only heard of the Sea. Maybe a trip to explore this city that had resources from land AND sea was called for. Hmm.

OOC - For future reference, technologies discussed in any RPG thread should remain consistant with the technology level of the game itself. A technology 1 tier higher than the one we are currently at (have already finished researching a tech on) is mentionable. So if we have researched the Alphabet, we would be building Curraghs while drawing letters in the dirt. We could then discuss writing on tablets or another media. Once we have researched Writing, then making maps to record our journeys and thus building Galleys could be discussed.

But we are at a stage in our civilization where we are farmers and road builders. Guru or no, we just don't burst in with a mechanism like a finely tooled scale and the idea of "selling things for gold". We are making clay pots and other items. We are building Temples to worship in, trying to figure out things like earthquakes and storms. Detailed measuring devised are not really available to us this time.

In the future, please try to keep technological discussions and products current to our current game technology (or just one tier above). Thanks.

"I was a ship builder" Zearo said. "We built small surdy seacraft, a currugh (occ:spelling?),that were good for exploring, however were limited in where they travelled. I can still build these vessels, with enough wood and acces to the sea. I would be happy to build these vessels when we can do that"

Cyc looked truly pleased. "Excellent. There is a rumor floating around that there may be a second Hibernian city Settlement headed SE. And the rumor also says there may be access to the sea."

"Enough," Cyc said, lightly slapping his own legs while standing. "You must rest. You will find the bed comfortable. I will take Dog outside and look into rounding up some supplies. I believe I may have a road trip ahead of me."

Top Bottom