1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New computer

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by civ_king, Jul 3, 2011.

1. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

I'm looking for a new computer, this computer will be essentially exclusive for Civ V. I don't need the shiniest graphics, medium at a good FPS is probably fine, I normally play Civ IV at 1366x768, but I eventually I'll get a new monitor. I am looking for a k-series processor in a P67 or Z68 mobo so I can overclock it (turn speed is what I care about). anyone know where I can find a computer that combines k-series, overclocking chipset and great cooling (so the CPU can be clocked high). I'm looking at ~$800, but not over ~$1000.

2. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Get a new monitor first.

30" 2560x1600 is good, or 2x 24" 1920x1200.

3. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

Overclocking is a pointless gimmick, good only for wasting time. You want more speed, you pay a little more for a tested piece. Unless your time is worthless.

4. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

I've been running my $100 cpu 40% overclocked for the past 5 years.

If I had the fastest cpu ever released for my socket, it would have been several times more expensive and still slower.

5. civ_king

My civ computer is running a Pentium 4 @3.2GHz with a 9600 GSO
    I am a student, my time is worth very little for the next month and a half. I can deal with overclocking. OTOH my dad loves civ and plays it a lot, if I can coax a i5-2500k to run at 4.5GHz I'm totally happy

6. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    You may want to also invest in a aftermarket water cooler for the processor. And some RAM sticks with a cooler on them.

7. civ_king

water cooling I can see, but why should my RAM have coolers on them?

8. Genocidicbunny

Genocidicbunny Bug squasher

Go with a modern intel chip and you wont need water cooling at all to get some massive overclocks. The Core i7-2600K has been shown to hit like 4.5gHz on not much more than decent air cooling. If you really want to splurge on cooling though, get a good Noctua or a Corsair H50/70

9. civ_king

Yeah, I'm looking at the i5-2500k, I think a computer with the i7-2600k is out of my price range

10. Nials

Nials Prince

I just built this and am very happy with it -

Intel i5-2500k
    ASRock Z68 Extreme4
    Crucial 128GB C300 SSD
    8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz

All built within a Fractal Design Define R3, which is a great case considering the price. Pretty quiet.

I pulled a 2TB Hitachi HDD and my Radeon HD 5770 from my old PC. Don't feel like upgrading the video card just yet.

I spent about €650 + VAT on CPU, RAM, motherboard, SSD, case, plus I got an aftermarket cooler and an Asus Xonar DSI discrete sound card.

You might want to opt for the P67 chipset instead if you don't care about the few extra features that Z68 offers (SSD caching and integrated Intel HD graphics). I just got it because the price difference was negligible when I compared it to P67 boards that I was interested in, like the Asus P8P67.

11. civ_king

12. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

Meh... processors are fast enough for just about everything I need but some work-related tasks, and for those I can't risk corrupting the data. I did play around with overclocking, since the supersparc workstations where you had to make a few changes to the mainboard, until the Pentium II/Celeron A days when changing a few dip switches got you up to those 50% overclocking and did a lot of difference. Then the interest just died. Can't even bother to tweak BIOS settings now! Then again, I'm not playing civ5, new games are probably the only think which keeps driving up processor requirements for home machines.

I guess I got old. I better get off your lawn and let you young folks play with these new iProcessors! :lol:

13. civ_king

I dunno about you, but when the time between turns breaches 10 seconds I stop enjoying it a lot, once it breaches 30 I'm not amused and by 60 I'm pissed

14. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

Two words: smaller maps.

But yes, I know, too small and it's no fun...

15. civ_king

Actually I don't run into 60 second turns, my dad does though.

16. tokala

tokala Emperor