1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Cumulative General History Quiz III

Discussion in 'World History' started by Steph, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. privatehudson

privatehudson The Ultimate Badass

Oopsie, must pay more attention :lol:

Merci anyway ;)

2. Taliesin

Taliesin Puttin' on the Ritz

Is number 4 Moses Mendelssohn?

3. Israelite9191

Israelite9191 You should be reading

Sorry, #4 is nor Moses Mendelssohn. Since it has been a good number of days since I was last here, I will post the answers.

As already answered: The second is the Baal Shem Tov, the third is Baruch Spinoza, and the sixth is Rashi.

Not Answered: The first is Maimonedies, a man who lived in Muslim Spain and wrote the Thirteen Principles, often considered the only thing close to dogma in Judaism (there is doctrine, but not dogma). THe fourth is Martin Buber, he wrote "I and Thou," a title consisting of two pronouns. As a child he was brought into close proximity to Hassidic Judaism and would often write about it later in life. The fifth is the Gaon of Vilna, or the Vilna Gaon, which literraly means the Genius of Vilinus (Come on people! I actually gave you his name!). He is the most extensive comentator on the Jewish works, surpassing even Rashi. He had such extensive knowledge that by ten he no longer needed teaching, and from an early age studied astronomy and mathematics to a point where scholars from all over Europe sought him out on issues of astronomy and mathematics. Despite his great reputation, he never took the position of rabbi or oppened a yeshiva. He greatly criticized Hasidism, yet was still reagarded by the Hassidic community as one of the gratest tzadiks to ever live.

Easy Question for the Lazy and Cowardly People of the History Forum: These two languages are major derivatives of Hebrew. One is derived from an Iberian language but is now spoken mainly in Israel, Thesaloniki, and Istanbul. The second is derived from a Germanic language and was for a large part destroyed during the first half of the 20th century, but it continues, to this day, to have significant speakers with many of its words having borrowed by American English.

4. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

Language #2 is obviously Yiddish; #1 is Esperanto?

5. SoCalian

SoCalian Deity

Moses Malone?

6. Israelite9191

The second one is Yiddish. The first, however, is not Esperanto. IIRC, Esperanto is an invented language that mixes the different European languages. I am looking for a partially Hebrew derived language coming from the Iberian peninsula that is spoken mainly in the areas I mentioned. Here's another hint: This language was not derived in the Catalan speaking area of Iberia.

7. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

Beyond suspecting that it is some blend of Arabic and
    Hebrew from the Moorish period, I have no clue.

8. Israelite9191

Actually it isn't an Arabic-Hebrew blend (which, as a side note, is called Judaeo-Arabic and has its largest communities in Morocc [underground] and the Arab states of the Middle East including Yemen, Lebanon, and Iraq among others).

Here's another hint: It is a blend of Hebrew and one of the largest languages in the world maintaining many of that language's now outgrown characteristics.

9. SoCalian

SoCalian Deity

is the other language english?

10. Israelite9191

No, not English. This is one of the most spoken languages around the world, has an Iberian origin, and is not from the Catalan region. If you are able to figure out what the second language is you are permitted to use wikipedia to find the name of the mixed language.

11. SoCalian

SoCalian Deity

ok, I figured it was spanish, so I looked at wikipedia, and came up with Ladino

12. Israelite9191

Ladino is correct! Ladino developed out of Medieval Castillian among the then prosperous Jewish communities of Castille. The language maintains many facets of Medieval Castillan that are not present in modern Spanish. After the Spanish Inquisition the speakers were dispersed. The majority of speakers now live in the Sephardi communities of Israel, Thesaloniki, and Istanbul. They are still some speakers left in Spain, but there are larger communities in the United States, Canada, other Western Countries, and particularly the ex-Spanish colonies of Latin America that recieved many Spanish Jews attempting escaping the Inquisition even though Spanish law forbade non-Catholics to go to the colonies. Ladino has a very large musical tradition and there are many traditional folk songs written in the language. The specific reason I pointed out that it did not originate in Castille is that Judaeo-Castillan is another Hebrew derived language.

Your turn SoCalian.

13. SoCalian

SoCalian Deity

oh man, I have no idea what to ask. If I con't com up with anything by friday, then let the guy who got yiddish go.

14. Israelite9191

@Serutan- I guess its your turn.

15. SoCalian

SoCalian Deity

ok, wait, I have one.

In the Capitol Building in Washington DC, there are two statues sent by every state. The statues are prominet people from each state's history. Who are the two depicted in statue sent by California.

16. sydhe

sydhe King of Kongs

I would guess Hiram Johnson and Earl Warren

17. SoCalian

SoCalian Deity

nope, niether of those are correct.

18. Israelite9191

Thomas Starr King and Father Junipero Serra.

19. SoCalian

SoCalian Deity

Father Serra is one, King, is not.

20. thetrooper

thetrooper Schweinhund

How on Earth would anyone outside the US know that? ;) :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.