New Cumulative General History Quiz III

Status
Not open for further replies.
SoCalian said:
was the station one that was for a liberated estonia?

No it wasn't.

YLE is Finland's equivalent of the BBC. I guess that makes it more of a network than a single station.

Here's a hint. It has to do with something Finland and Estonia have in common.

It's not linked to language. It is relevant that YNE is Finland's national network. As I said, it has to do with something Finland and Estonia have in common.

Wasn't Finland at war with USSR for a while? Is it related to immigrants from Finland listening to their national station, despite them being owned by the USSR who was at war with Finland.

No, although it would have been patriotic for Finns as well. This is something that was banned in Estonia while it was under Soviet rule.

It's been 72 hours so I'll withdraw the question.

When Estonia was part of the Soviet Union, why would it have been patriotic (and dangerous) for Estonians to listen to Finnish radio station YLE?

Because the national anthem of independent Estonia, Mu isamaa, mu õnn ja rõõm, was banned by the Soviets. The music of this was composed by Fredrik Pacius, the German-born "Father of Finnish Music," and is also the music of Finland's unofficial national anthem, Maamme. Thus when YLE shut down each night, Estonians could hear the music of their banned national anthem.

wow, that has go to be one of the more obscure answers we had yet. congrats on comming up with it sydhe.

This time, I'm after a place:

(Sorry about the size of the pictures. I don't have a good editing program on this computer.)

No takers yet? I should also mention that the city also has a place in the history of religious toleration. I couldn't think of a picture that illustrated that.

I think I got a couple of the pics.

Maybe a city named after Augustus; Augusta something-um.

No guess on which and what it's called today though.

Edit: good to have these association/picture questions back!

:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom