New Cumulative history Quiz VII

He's the one who destroyed something. The building's not a royal mansion.

He's roughly the right sort of time for the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre, but other than knowing who he was, I have no idea what he did. If one of the other pictures is a French zoo, it's unlikely to refer to his time as King of Poland.

French reign. Here's another clue, I had to confirm:

The most famous incident associated with this place.

All I see is a large red rectangle.

Yes, it is the flag of the Paris Commune, and the incident took place during the Commune.

The man to the upper right saved it in the 1790s when it moved to its present location.

No. Remember the move took place in the 1790s and that was when it was saved, not during the Commune.

I'll recapitulate
(a) Henri III destroyed something (which later was restored, or there wouldn't be a quiz)
(b) It has something to do with some sort of old zoo. (No one has identified the exact thing in the picture.)
(c) A natural philosopher saved it by moving it from a palace in the 1790s to its current location. [It also got its current name.]
(d,e) It has something to do with the unidentified gentlemen who worked there.
(f) One of the best-known incidents involving it happened during the Paris Commune. The incident took place in Paris.
(g) It still exists in Paris.

I'd better mention, this was located at Versailles before it moved to Paris and became what it is today.

Is Antoine Lavoisier involved at all? He was probably France's most famous scientist before his untimely end around this time.

Conceivably, though I don't know for sure. It's something he might well have been interested in.

I'll recapitulate
(a) Henri III destroyed something (which later was restored, or there wouldn't be a quiz)
(b) It has something to do with some sort of old zoo. (No one has identified the exact thing in the picture.)
(c) A natural philosopher saved it by moving it from a palace in the 1790s to its current location. [It also got its current name.]
(d,e) It has something to do with the unidentified gentlemen who worked there.
(f) One of the best-known incidents involving it happened during the Paris Commune. The incident took place in Paris.
(g) It still exists in Paris.

I'd better mention, this was located at Versailles before it moved to Paris and became what it is today.

:nono: That was the Ménagerie de Versailles not a zoo! Image is a colourised copper plate by Antoine Aveline.

Top Bottom