1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Demogame Start Here

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Demo Game: Citizens' started by 1889, Oct 15, 2006.

1. 1889

1889 Mayor of H-Marker Lake

You've got here just in time, a new demogame is in the works.

The first step is to decide our first step.

Here is one suggestion on how a different kind of game may work. Role Play DG

Discuss what other ideas you would like to see in the next game even if you missed the current one. Please join the discussion at: Is this demogame dead?

2. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Widowmaker: Ghost Operative

Versailles City, United Systems of New Coruscant
    I feel the first step is to create a list of simple rules that both gamers and politician players can both agree on. We need a happy moderation (Middle way) in order to have a good and enjoyable game.

3. ice2k4

ice2k4 Chieftain

I dont mean to shoot you down 1889, but the system you have sems to be a bit flawed. Theres no checks and balances as far as I see and what may be good for a certain guild may not be nesecarilly good for the nation as a whole.

Lets say to keep the merchants guild the controlling political party, they push to build forges in every city. But building these forges creates a lot of wasted production time that can be used for soldiers. But if soldiers are built then it would most likely put the soldiers in power. The nation would be divided and collapse.

Also who would control the governing of cities. Merchants would push to have as mant citizens in a city as possible work the mines while scribes (or whomever) push to work the farms.

What if, instead of a democracy game, we have a game that has no real government.

We start off by electing someone. They play the first however many turns, until we settle our second city. Someone gets elected to control that city and everything it produces. This is the part where citizens can pick what city they want to live in.

Once they live in that city the leader of that city sets up a government. If there are any national issues the city leaders (and only the leaders) vote upon it. This includes settlement of new cities.

Citizens have the right to move to other cities, and if a citie's population falls below 50% of the highest city's population, the leader is overthrown and the capitol city leader will establish a new government.

I mean this is jsut a basis of an idea. Feel free to gun it out of the sky.

4. 1889

In this next game I’d like to cut out most of that bureaucracy, some people like it but it sounds really tedious to me. On the other hand a few test games have revealed that my original idea leaves the soldiers in power for most of the game.

So instead how about 4 political parties: a party each for conquest, diplomatic, cultural, space race victories. Each player chooses one.

To begin power is in the hands of the party with largest membership. The political parties decide for themselves how to play the game when they are in power, whether it is a single turn player, ministers running polls or chat. Out of power parties can plan, scheme and complain loudly. (Just kidding, but remember this is supposed to be a role playing game.)

Whenever a new technology is discovered it is assumed that society has changed and the ruling class has failed to keep up, they are now out of power, but get to choose which party replaces them. Once the new party is in power all players have an opportunity to change party affiliation and the game resumes.

This setting provides ample inspiration for role play but if you don’t care for that aspect you can just join the ruling party each turn and forget about it. If you love political intrigue you can make secret deals by promising to carry out certain actions for the ousted party if they grant you power in the next term. Or you can be a purist and nurture your lost cause political party spending the entire game refining a constitution just incase you get into power.

5. dutchfire

dutchfire Moderator Moderator

Main part of a demogame is demo.
    To be a true demo-game, each and every citizen needs to have the right and power to influence almost every decision.

6. 1889

Gah, that sounds awful. A few of the sugestions from the other thread mentioned the pointlesness of being elected to a governing position and then having no power, sounds very frustrating and I don't think I would enjoy a game like that.

Maybe a little variety and a few different types of demo games would attract more players.

7. GeorgeOP

GeorgeOP RF Bleachers

Then maybe we should make a Republicgame. Or a Fascistgame.

8. dutchfire

dutchfire Moderator Moderator

Another important thing is that this site is owned by Thunderfall, and ruled by TF and the mods, and I don't think they'd like a fascist game.

9. 1889

Here are some, hopefully most, of the rules for my proposed RP game.
    1. We're here to have fun. Any citizen can do anything fun as long as it's not against the forum rules and doesn't infringe on another citizen's right to have fun.
    2. a conflict between what one citizen finds fun vs what other citizens find In fun, the majority prevails.
    3. If you're not having fun, either live with it, or the door's over there. You are not permitted to ruin someone else's fun. It is OK to try to convince people that your way is more fun, but refer to rule #1 while you're doing it.
    4. A player may only belong to one party at a time. Party membership is declared after a new government is placed in power.
    5. A player may only read and post in threads designated for all players and threads of his current party. Players may not read or post in threads created by another party. (No private forums in this game so note party affiliation in the thread title and trust in the honor system.)
    6. A party may not change its constitution while in power. A party’s constitution may only be changed when it is out of power. While a party is in power it must play according to the rules of its last constitution.

10. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Widowmaker: Ghost Operative

Versailles City, United Systems of New Coruscant
    I think Chieftess already tried a republic game. However it ended up as a flop. Plus I dont like the idea of political parties anyway.