[NFP] New Districts For Civ 7

brewgod

Prince
Hello Fellow Civ Fans,

Although Civ 7 has not been announced which new Districts / Wonders / Massive Engineering - Science - Military Projects be added to the game?

My thoughts that first come to mind are:

The Chunnel - To travel to another continent in one or two turns which is 10-15 hexes away
Pearl Harbor - A massive bonus for Naval Fleets etc.
Grand Canyon - Some type of Engineer Wonder with huge bonuses for mines, dams, ?
Breweries - Huge bonus to create happiness to get out of Dark Ages
Ice Age - Lose production on half your cities on a continent for x number of turns or era

I am guessing this thread has already been discussed. Hopefully us die hard fans like myself since Civ 1 can see Civ 7 come out by end of this year.

Brew God

Moderator Action: Moved to I&S. ~ LK

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Fellow Civ Fans,

Although Civ 7 has not been announced which new Districts / Wonders / Massive Engineering - Science - Military Projects be added to the game?

My thoughts that first come to mind are:

The Chunnel - To travel to another continent in one or two turns which is 10-15 hexes away
Pearl Harbor - A massive bonus for Naval Fleets etc.
Grand Canyon - Some type of Engineer Wonder with huge bonuses for mines, dams, ?
Breweries - Huge bonus to create happiness to get out of Dark Ages
Ice Age - Lose production on half your cities on a continent for x number of turns or era

I am guessing this thread has already been discussed. Hopefully us die hard fans like myself since Civ 1 can see Civ 7 come out by end of this year.

Brew God

Moderator Action: Moved to I&S. ~ LK
I would consolidate the districts. For instance. Theatre and Entertainment were seperate districts in Civ-6, I would combine both. Cultural and Holy districts would be consolidated. City Center, Government, and Industry would be made into one district. And so on.

A population/housing district that is required to grow a city's population.

So, for example, for every three pops past the first five you'd need a population/housing district. Insufficient housing could lower happiness, health, productivity, growth, or whatever. Techs like aqueduct, sanitation, and antibiotics could progressively raise the number of pops you can house within a single housing district provided you built a project in each city to do so (no free lunch). I'd also make them required to be built adjacent to the city center or another housing district, nicely modeling how cities sprawl over time and take over adjacent farmland or unused areas.

I move the Power generation buildings out of the Industrial Zone into a "Power Generation" districts. PG would only provide power because power should be much more powerful in the late game. (pun intended). Add different tier 3 building(s) for the IZ.

Palace district. Mostly just for fun so they can bring throne room decoration.

Rail Yard. Doesn't have any buildings. I'd like the AOE to be tied into roads and rails.

Cemetary. Sure, why not, you have to keep your dead somewhere.

Cemetary. Sure, why not, you have to keep your dead somewhere.
This should probably be tied to religion since that usually dictates how people dispose of their dead--e.g., Zoroastrian sky burials, Germanic pagan funeral pyres and ship burials, Egyptian monumental tombs, etc.

I'd 'devolve' all the District characteristics to the Buildings.

In other words, there would be exactly 2 types of District:
Urban and Separate. Urban has to be built adjacent to another District, it forms a city.
Separate is a separate Town, Village. Hamlet, can be built by itself but cannot grow past a single tile without Political Clout - but can be used to exploit terrain and extend your borders.
And the two would be graphically different, so that separate Towns LOOK different from Urban Districts.

The 'type' of District depends on the Buildings in it.
Each District has 6 slots for Structures. Some structures, like Wonders, the Palace, modern Factories, could take up more than one slot. The first Urban District built always has to have some kind of Administrative Building - the Palace for your Capital, a Governor's (or Satrap's or other Unique) Palace or House in other cities.
So, for example, in your first District of your first city, you automatically have a Palace taking up 2 slots.
You add a basic Religious Building (Shrine, Temple, Altar, whatever Cv VII decides to call it), and if you have a Theocracy or God King government, that structure will give you some extra Political/Loyalty as well as Religion. If, on the other hand, you have an early Chieftain government-type, you can add a Granary to the Palace for free (storerooms in the basement of the Palace, as at Knossos) OR you could build a separate Granary. Build a Market as well, and it and the Granary multiply each other because now you can trade Grain/Food more easily.
Adjacencies would be among and between Building, not Districts. So, if you want the equivalent of a Commercial District, build a Market, Warehouse, and Caravanserai in the same District and they will all provide Gold/Trade bonuses to each other. If they are in a District next to the coast, you can build a Harbor on the coastal tile and it will provide more Trade bonuses to the 'Commercial' Buildings in a District (or Districts) next to it.

This system would avoid the ridiculous disjointed 'cities' scattered all over the map in Civ VI, build a city composed of like-building Districts similar to those built historically, and , for intance, City Walls now would go around the entire city and not just a single District - and would get more expensive to build and upgrade as the city got more Districts needing protection.

Many Buildings could be built more than once in the same city - here's no reason you couldn't have two Harbors if the city has more than one coastal tile adjacent to its Districts, no reason not to have multiple Workshops, Markets - or Wonders, many of which could be (must be) built next to population/Districts - what's the point of putting a Cathedral out in the countryside where no one can get to it? - and, of course, a Cathedral/Temple Wonder would provide Religion/religious bonuses to buildings around it, as other Wonders in the city would provide direct 'adjacency' bonuses of their respective types.
Grouping Buildings of similar effect should provide Mutliplying bonuses: here's no reason that a single District or even an adjacent pair of Districts couldn't have a pack of Theaters or Banks and so act like an On-Map New York's Broadway or London's The City financial area - or a collection of Universities, technical Colleges, and other education/science buildings couldn't recreate Cambridge, Massachusettes suburb of Boston or a Silicon Valley.

Many Buildings could be built more than once in the same city - here's no reason you couldn't have two Harbors if the city has more than one coastal tile adjacent to its Districts, no reason not to have multiple Workshops, Markets - or Wonders, many of which could be (must be) built next to population/Districts - what's the point of putting a Cathedral out in the countryside where no one can get to it? - and, of course, a Cathedral/Temple Wonder would provide Religion/religious bonuses to buildings around it, as other Wonders in the city would provide direct 'adjacency' bonuses of their respective types.
Grouping Buildings of similar effect should provide Mutliplying bonuses: here's no reason that a single District or even an adjacent pair of Districts couldn't have a pack of Theaters or Banks and so act like an On-Map New York's Broadway or London's The City financial area - or a collection of Universities, technical Colleges, and other education/science buildings couldn't recreate Cambridge, Massachusettes suburb of Boston or a Silicon Valley.
I have kind of a problem with building more than one type of building in the city.
Sure it makes sense in real life, but what would prevent someone from just spamming multiple universities in all of their cities, which would then sky rocket them into an easy lead in science?
If you want to build something like an Oxford college, sure you can do that by building the Oxford wonder next to a university, or even in place of. But I'd rather not every single city be an Oxford, if that makes any sense.

I think it'd be cool to have a Theme Park district unlocked late in the game that just gives a ton of tourism, it would make the cultural end game more than just spamming rock bands (assuming that the cultural victory is even in civ 7) and could mesh quite nicely with a corporation mechanic.

I have kind of a problem with building more than one type of building in the city.
Sure it makes sense in real life, but what would prevent someone from just spamming multiple universities in all of their cities, which would then sky rocket them into an easy lead in science?
If you want to build something like an Oxford college, sure you can do that by building the Oxford wonder next to a university, or even in place of. But I'd rather not every single city be an Oxford, if that makes any sense.

External Limitations.
That is, no Solid Rule that you can only build one of each Building, but rules of support and placement that effectively limit them.
Examples:
1 Harbor per coastal tile adjacent to land: unless you are on an island, that limits the number automatically, and if Sea/Coastal resources disappear under a Harbor, that limits it even more (Historical Example, the oyster beds around Manhatten made oysters the cheapest food availabe in the city until the mid-19th century, after which pollution from the harbor and shipping destroyed them and made oysters strictly a specialty item in restaurants)
Every University requires X Gold 'maintenance' every turn. IF the city does not generate that Gold, the state has to, making multiple Universities a drain on the economy (Example: personal experience: I grew up in a 'college town' in which the central 1/3 of the town was State University, which could not be taxed by the town or township, leaving a huge hole in the tax resource base for the community)
You can build a Temple or Wonder Temple for each different religion you have in the city, and no more. That limits Religious Building Spamming for whatever reason it might seem useful.
Markets - limited by population/Trade routes. Extra Markets in practice would simply be stealing income from each other.

All of which combines to mean a sufficiently large and prosperous City can support multiple Universities, Markets, Banks, Harbors (with the right coastal configuration) but spamming buildings in a small city would cost you and normally be counter-productive.
The alternative we have now, where a Megalopolis of 15 - 35 population still only supports one Market, one Temple, one Harbor, just makes no sense to me.

The alternative we have now, where a Megalopolis of 15 - 35 population still only supports one Market, one Temple, one Harbor, just makes no sense to me.
Certainly the number of districts like Neighborhoods and Industrial Zones should not be limited, maybe neither Harbors considering there are few options to use coast tiles.
But others more specialized are OK being limited to one by city because most (if not all) Megalopolis are not really a single city but the fusion of many.

Districts or no districts or combined 'Quarters' (Districts and improvements TWO IN ONE, seen in Humankind, most have unlimited built per 'city' as long as there\s space available.)?
1. Personally 'Mines' should be built 'on resource plot' and not jus any hill with or without resources. Mining begins with 'traces of ore' discovered
2. I favor HK's Makers Quarters over Civ's Industrial Zone. And it should be available EARLY
3. City walls should cover the entirety of city limits including all districts adjacent to City center.
4. 'Forts' should now be 'Military dedicated Districts' and not only acts as unit spawning points. But also training slots.
Do you agree or disagree with this three (maybe more) proposals of district/quater concepts @Boris Gudenuf ?

I think it'd be cool to have a Theme Park district unlocked late in the game that just gives a ton of tourism, it would make the cultural end game more than just spamming rock bands (assuming that the cultural victory is even in civ 7) and could mesh quite nicely with a corporation mechanic.
I always thought that having a theme park could be tied to a late game corporation that focused around both tourism and amenities. I'd also love for corporations to not only focus on developing products out of resources, considering in real life that's only one kind. I think to expand the corporation mechanic more adding in new types of corporations would be nice.

I think every district should be the same and only allow the city more land for buildings. Thus districts would only serve two functions, as a graphical display of how big a city is, and as additional defense of larger cities (need to hold all districts to control the city).
I don't know how I feel about having to build just generic districts, which can put any building inside.
On one hand it makes sense considering there are places like Greek agoras which were home to both temples, markets etc. On the other hand it would mean taking away the possiblility of more unique infrastructure from other civs, such as unique Holy Sites, Campuses, Commercial Hubs etc.
The alternative could be something to where Korea could also build a shrine building in their unique Seowon district, without needing a Holy Site, making unique districts even more unique.

I always thought that having a theme park could be tied to a late game corporation that focused around both tourism and amenities. I'd also love for corporations to not only focus on developing products out of resources, considering in real life that's only one kind. I think to expand the corporation mechanic more adding in new types of corporations would be nice..

While Theme Parks are certainly Tourist Attractions, they are also first and foremost Commercial, Gold-Producing places. Possibly, then, Theme Park should be an Improvement buildable with a Great Merchant in the Atomic Era or later (first Theme Park: Disneyland opened in 1955). I've always thought Walt Disney could be a Great Person as either a Great Merchant or Great Artist given that he opened two of the greatest Tourism money-makers in history in Disneyland and Disneyworld and won 22 Academy Awards for his movies (yes, a record)

I don't know how I feel about having to build just generic districts, which can put any building inside.
On one hand it makes sense considering there are places like Greek agoras which were home to both temples, markets etc. On the other hand it would mean taking away the possiblility of more unique infrastructure from other civs, such as unique Holy Sites, Campuses, Commercial Hubs etc.
The alternative could be something to where Korea could also build a shrine building in their unique Seowon district, without needing a Holy Site, making unique districts even more unique.

This is one I've wrestled with fofr months now. On the one hand, I like the sheer flexibility of making all Districts just places to put Buildings and all bonuese and adjacencies related to the Buildings rather than the Districts. On the other hand, people like the Unique Infrastructure of 'structured' Districts.

One possibility is to give each District 5 slots for structures. At least 3 of them have to be filled by Buildings related to the 'theme' of the District: Religious, Commercial, Scientific, Military, Industrial/Production, Government, Cultural, Amenity/Entertainment, Air or Sea Transport (and, I would argue, one dedicated to Railroads given the amount of space taken up by railroad yards, stations, loading and unloading facilities, which easily match the space used by airports or harbors)

The 'minority' of slots could be used by Almost Any Other Buildings, which would allow a tremendous flexibility in Unique placements as well as such IRL situations as the Temple next to the Agora (Commercial) or the Workshop next to the Market making specialty goods for sale or trade route.

I would still argue for all adjacency bonuses to be at the Building/Structure level, rather than District, to avoid the ludicrous scattering of a city's Districts that happens now: separate Districts should only be allowed for those Districts that functioned separately: Holy Sites, Harbors, and possibly a new category of Settlement that represents a separate Town or Village that may b replaced by a City Center later and grow into a city. That 'District' would have virtually no restrictions on what Buildings could be in it, since the reason for placing the Settlement could vary widely, from Military (border town to seize territory, a 'Settlement Bomb' if you will) to Commercial (Trading Post/Depot to extend Trade Routes) to Exploiting Resources (Town of Hacinebi, that had Mines, Smelters and Workshops to supply Uruk with Copper and other metalwork: in game terms, that Settlement could contain Mine, Workshop as its basic Buldings, but also a Srine or Temple and some kind of 'Governor's House' for administration).

I've always thought Walt Disney could be a Great Person as either a Great Merchant or Great Artist given that he opened two of the greatest Tourism money-makers in history in Disneyland and Disneyworld and won 22 Academy Awards for his movies (yes, a record)
Well when you own a company that owns almost everything in the world, including most movies, it's hard not to win. :mischief:

I would still argue for all adjacency bonuses to be at the Building/Structure level, rather than District, to avoid the ludicrous scattering of a city's Districts that happens now: separate Districts should only be allowed for those Districts that functioned separately: Holy Sites, Harbors, and possibly a new category of Settlement that represents a separate Town or Village that may b replaced by a City Center later and grow into a city. That 'District' would have virtually no restrictions on what Buildings could be in it, since the reason for placing the Settlement could vary widely, from Military (border town to seize territory, a 'Settlement Bomb' if you will) to Commercial (Trading Post/Depot to extend Trade Routes) to Exploiting Resources (Town of Hacinebi, that had Mines, Smelters and Workshops to supply Uruk with Copper and other metalwork: in game terms, that Settlement could contain Mine, Workshop as its basic Buldings, but also a Srine or Temple and some kind of 'Governor's House' for administration).
I think a good solution to district sprawling, at least early game, is to have the majority of districts needed to be built adjacent to the city center until you reach like Urbanization in the Industrial era, with Encampments, Harbors, Preserves, and possibly Industrial Zones, Holy Sites being the exception.

While Theme Parks are certainly Tourist Attractions, they are also first and foremost Commercial, Gold-Producing places.
I kind of feel like maybe tourism should be moved over to the economy anyway. Sure, once upon a time "tourism," so to speak, may have been motivated by culture--maybe you were going on pilgrimage or you're a young gentleman going on the European tour--but what we think of tourism now is chiefly a commercial exercise. We should find something new for the culture victory.

I think a good solution to district sprawling, at least early game, is to have the majority of districts needed to be built adjacent to the city center until you reach like Urbanization in the Industrial era, with Encampments, Harbors, Preserves, and possibly Industrial Zones, Holy Sites being the exception.

My suggestion, made elsewhere and earlier, was that all Districts except the specialty Settlements (including Harbors, Holy Sites, Encampments) had to be adjacent to another District, and at Start of Game, had to be adjacent to the City Center.
Later, with better Transportation/street & road building Technologies, you could be up to one District away from the city center, and along a river you could always be an extra District/tile away. This sounds very restrictive until you realize that from Start of Game you can build 7 Districts with, say, room for 35 Building Slots. Even if things like the Palace and Wonders take more than one Slot, that's still plenty of room given that Civ VI only gives you less than 30 Buildings total to construct by end of game not counting City Walls - which shouldn't go in a District anyway.
By the Modern Era, with modern personal transportation (automobiles, trucks) and paved roads, pretty much all limits except adjacency would be removed, and your cities could sprawl all over the landscape and, as IRL, absorb a lot of smaller Settlements as they go: note that Brooklyn and Bronx were separate towns from New York City before the 20th century, and once upon an Early Modern, Early Industrial time Spandau and Potsdam were separate towns/settlements from Berlin, which has now expanded to include both of them.

I kind of feel like maybe tourism should be moved over to the economy anyway. Sure, once upon a time "tourism," so to speak, may have been motivated by culture--maybe you were going on pilgrimage or you're a young gentleman going on the European tour--but what we think of tourism now is chiefly a commercial exercise. We should find something new for the culture victory.

Definitely separate modern Tourism from Cultural Influence. Let's face it, the current Tourism = Cultural Dominance makes no sense in Reality. Lots of people go to visit the Great Wall or the Pyramids of Giza, but I don't remember seeing any great wave of attempts to emulate or adopt either Egyptian or Chinese Culture as a result.
- Although, come to think of it, I could get behind a movement to lock up a bunch of current World Leaders and local politicians in massive stone structures without doors or windows, but that has nothing to do with Gaming . . .

The aspects of Cultural Domination appear to be Language, Art (styles), Music, Cinema and Literature. Use of Language is really more related to its use as a 'standard' in interCiv communication, like the predominance of French in diplomacy in the 17th - 19th centuries or the dominance of English in Scientific journals and on the Internet today - in both cases really relating to a completely Non-Cultural activity of Diplomacy and Science, and I'm not sure how that could be easily modeled in-game.
The rest are directly related to Culture in the game, and Music = Rock Bands explicitly so. Possibly, then, relate 'Cultural Dominance' to acquisition of Great People in the Arts, Music, Writing, and Great Works of those types into some kind of International Influence mechanic like Rock Bands (Art Works do 'tour' these days, but that smacks of Gaminess). Perhaps institutions, including Wonders like the Louvre or Met, that attract international attention and emulation by displaying Great Works . . .

- Although, come to think of it, I could get behind a movement to lock up a bunch of current World Leaders and local politicians in massive stone structures without doors or windows, but that has nothing to do with Gaming . . .
I'd sign that petition. :mischief:

The aspects of Cultural Domination appear to be Language, Art (styles), Music, Cinema and Literature. Use of Language is really more related to its use as a 'standard' in interCiv communication, like the predominance of French in diplomacy in the 17th - 19th centuries or the dominance of English in Scientific journals and on the Internet today - in both cases really relating to a completely Non-Cultural activity of Diplomacy and Science, and I'm not sure how that could be easily modeled in-game.
I think this could tie in, to some extent, with what I've been suggesting about having ethnicity or cultural identity in the game. Language could easily go along with that. I'm not sure how you easily translate the concept of a lingua franca or prestige language, though. Cases like French in Early Modern Europe could be tied to cultural prestige (i.e., the civilization leading the culture race in any given area also has the prestige language among its neighbors); cases like Aramaic in antiquity could be tied to immigration; but cases like Latin in Medieval Europe would be hard to match without a rise and fall mechanic, which is unlikely to happen in a way anyone finds satisfying.

What if Holy Sites are actually "holy" and linked to your religion istead of spam them as generic distritcs?
- Temple is a building in the City Center, in each temple you can chose a Deity for that city. Of course each deity would be thematic with some kind of bonus but also it would produce Prophet points from related elements in that city, like:
* War Deity, from Militar buildings/improvements, stationed troops and resources like Horses.
* Fertility Deity, from farms, rivers, food resources.
* Sea Deity, Harbors buildings, sea improvements, sea resources and naval units.​
So you can get a lot of Prophet points from both a well located and improved city (playing tall) and also from many cities (playing wide).
- Prophets have the unique ability to found a Holy Site and its corresponding Religion. Then each religion have its how unique Wonder-like Holy City district with fitting buildings, for example Catholic can have Monastery, Basilica, Cathedral, still some of these could be equivalent to others religions but would have their visual unique styles.
- Also when you have an Official religion you can replace City Center's Temples with the unique equivalent like Shiite Mosques or Catholic Cathedrals.

Last edited:
What if Holy Sites are actually "holy" and linked to your religion istead of spam them as generic distritcs?
- Temple is a building in the City Center, in each temple you can chose a Deity for that city. Of course each deity would be thematic with some kind of bonus but also it would produce Prophet points from related elements in that city, like:
* War Deity, from Militar buildings/improvements, stationed troops and resources like Horses.
* Fertility Deity, from farms, rivers, food resources.
* Sea Deity, Harbors buildings, sea improvements, sea resources and naval units.​
So you can get a lot of Prophet points from both a well located and improved city (playing tall) and also from many cities (playing wide).
- Prophets have the unique ability to found a Holy Site and its corresponding Religion. Then each religion have its how unique Wonder-like Holy City district with fitting buildings, for example Catholic can have Monastery, Basilica, Cathedral, still some of these could be equivalent to others religions but would have their visual unique styles.
- Also when you have an Official religion you can replace City Center's Temples with the unique equivalent like Shiite Mosques or Catholic Cathedrals.
I prefer religion detached from civs as I've proposed before, but this would still be an improvement over what we have now.

Top Bottom