New DLC at December, 16th: Spain and Incas

Says the parrotting Civ basher with all of 53 posts.... :rolleyes:

Tell me, did you make your first post saying "i am no0b, dull and very pessimistic" ? You know, before you started trolling people who aren't mindlessly following the very vocal minority that hate the game?

And before you start calling me a noob, dull optimist, check my post on page 3... ;)

"vocal minority" HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA ....minority.... AAAAAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA

Wow, this REALLY puts me off the game now, I understand Babylon since it was a Pre-order bonus, but Spain and Inca WEREN'T, Jeez, now I am with the guys opposing Babylon being paid for. grrrr!

Moderator Action: @all: I'll repeat: stop discussing each other - if you have nothing to add to the discussion but personal attacks, you are welcome to not post them.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Wow, this REALLY puts me off the game now, I understand Babylon since it was a Pre-order bonus, but Spain and Inca WEREN'T, Jeez, now I am with the guys opposing Babylon being paid for. grrrr!

Babylon was a deluxe edition bonus - not a pre-order bonus
Spain and Inca are a pre-order bonus for those that pre-ordered through Direct2Drive - it was clear all along that the D2D deal included 2 civilizations that would be released by December...

Will not buy this.

Since the game in itself is useless, it makes no difference if you play with Spain or Rome...

New patch coming out too!

Really? I never knew that :/.. weird. well then I guess I was wrong xD, but it would be nice if they were free, I geniuely thought that Inca and Spain were brand new nations.

But if they release new nations that were NOT a deluxe or pre-order bonus then I will get annoyed if we have to pay for them.

Moderator Action: @all: I'll repeat: stop discussing each other - if you have nothing to add to the discussion but personal attacks, you are welcome to not post them.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Babylon was a deluxe edition bonus - not a pre-order bonus
Spain and Inca are a pre-order bonus for those that pre-ordered through Direct2Drive - it was clear all along that the D2D deal included 2 civilizations that would be released by December...

I bought deluxe from steam and have never heard of this, do steam buyers get this for free too, because I feel like this should be included since I paid $10 extra already...:undecide:

Really? I never knew that :/.. weird. well then I guess I was wrong xD, but it would be nice if they were free, I geniuely thought that Inca and Spain were brand new nations.

But if they release new nations that were NOT a deluxe or pre-order bonus then I will get annoyed if we have to pay for them.

It was always clear that there would be more civs coming as DLC. Heck some were already a pre-order bonus for some site, as was pointed out.

I wonder why you are expecting to get them for free, you did not get Civ 4 Warlords or BtS for free either. Granted, this is not a full expansion, but the price is not that of an expansion either.

Whether 2 civs are worth $7.5 is something, everyone will have to decide for himself (personally I think it is too high, imo it should be $5 at most). I do not understand the expectation of additional content having to be free however.

Whether 2 civs are worth $7.5 is something, everyone will have to decide for himself (personally I think it is too high, imo it should be $5 at most). I do not understand the expectation of additional content having to be free however.

Well, at $7.50 per 2 civs, how would that equate to Warlords and BtS? Both of which provided some gameplay features. It seems what people are sensing is a comparable cost of DLC to Civ4 expansions, yet no addition of gameplay features/mechanics enhancements.

Well, at $7.50 per 2 civs, how would that equate to Warlords and BtS? Both of which provided some gameplay features. It seems what people are sensing is a comparable cost of DLC to Civ4 expansions, yet no addition of gameplay features/mechanics enhancements.

Civ 4 expansions were about $30 each, so I would not consider that comparable to $7.50.

As I said, whether you consider 2 civs worth the $7.50 they are asking, is up to everyone.

Given that the expansions had about 6 civs each plus some scenarios plus some gameplay changes, it to me is overpriced at $7.50 while $4 to 5 seems to be in line with an expansion (I admit that is difficult to estimate gameplay changes, but let's just assume they make up half the price ;) ).

I'm fairly happy with the civ's I have already. I don't think it would be worth it for me to buy the new civs anytime soon.

That being said, I do think that in a couple of years, when they do release an expansion, these civs (and the mongols) will all be part of it, so I'll buy it then. (and then I'll have to read a ton of posts along the lines of "Why did 2K force me to buy this previously. I demand money back..wah wah wahhh")

Civ 4 expansions were about $30 each, so I would not consider that comparable to $7.50.

As I said, whether you consider 2 civs worth the $7.50 they are asking, is up to everyone.

Given that the expansions had about 6 civs each plus some scenarios plus some gameplay changes, it to me is overpriced at $7.50 while $4 to 5 seems to be in line with an expansion (I admit that is difficult to estimate gameplay changes, but let's just assume they make up half the price ;) ).

Nor would I, that's my point.

That being said, I do think that in a couple of years, when they do release an expansion, these civs (and the mongols) will all be part of it, so I'll buy it then...

'When'? I can't help but think that, unless the are no - or very few - more purchasable DSLs, the likelihood of an expansion has diminished. Like I said, each DSL that included new content - apart from Mongolia - cost money, and each patch update was free. I'll be watching the DSLs from Firaxis, but unless I miss my guess, as every DSL comes out now, you need to consider the implications it WILL affect any expansion. 'When' at this stage is albeit very very slowly changing into 'if'.

I agree the first one was $4.99 what are they god damn money hungry???!!! I wonder how much they made off the first DLC?

'When'? I can't help but think that, unless the are no - or very few - more purchasable DSLs, the likelihood of an expansion has diminished. Like I said, each DSL that included new content - apart from Mongolia - cost money, and each patch update was free. I'll be watching the DSLs from Firaxis, but unless I miss my guess, as every DSL comes out now, you need to consider the implications it WILL affect any expansion. 'When' at this stage is albeit very very slowly changing into 'if'.

I have no idea where you get this idea from. Civ was released a few months ago and now we get some new civs. Perfectly in line for an expansion a year or so down the line, which was the release cycle before.

I agree the first one was $4.99 what are they god damn money hungry???!!! I wonder how much they made off the first DLC?

The first one was one civ though, now there are two.

I bought deluxe from steam and have never heard of this, do steam buyers get this for free too, because I feel like this should be included since I paid $10 extra already...:undecide:

steam customers do not receive it - it was the direct2drive per-order deal: get the game and "the first 2 civilizations + scenario" DLC pack with an ETA at the time being "late 2010".

I have no idea where you get this idea from. Civ was released a few months ago and now we get some new civs. Perfectly in line for an expansion a year or so down the line, which was the release cycle before.

Simple;

If we take out some of the elements of a typical Civilization expansion pack - new concepts, updated unit stats, and possibly any new wonders - what we have left are new civilizations, new units/buildings/abilities for each civilization, new custom maps, and new scenarios. I can see that Civilization can break these up into small packets, and interestingly enough they seem to be, and charge each new shiny thing on Steam, or wherever it is one has CiV, for a small fee.

Therefore, if a new expansion were to come out, it can't add any of the separately released material into it - otherwise Firaxis faces a large and growing angst from the community for what appears to be double charging - which leaves any unreleased material and all the new concepts and so on. Basically, the more new content Firaxis distributes as extra stuff for your game, the impending expansion contains less value and less content, therefore the expansion depreciates in value and becomes less likely to exist. Also, given that this theoretical expansion is losing value from every DSL, this will mean that if Firaxis keeps this up, this expansion is most likely to cost lower than most, if not any, other typical Civilization expansions.

It seems there are two types of people bashin new DLC: those who don't like the whole DLC business model as such and those who think that the current state of the game doesn't justify players to spend more money on content.

I am more of the second kind. I'd be perfectly ready to pay up for new Civs as long as the game would manage to make me crave for new content. Alas, it doesn't. Until now, I only played two of the included Civs but gameplay and stability issues did not inspire me to try more. The game is biding it's time on my hard drive. Steam says I played it for just 10 hours and haven't touched it in weeks. I never thought that possible for a Civ game...

The DLC cannot include gameplay changes otherwise it would send the entire civ community in a tailspin. The DLC is eye-candy, and that's fine. Perhaps, Firaxis is not going to develop an expansion. What might be the benefits of the DLC sales coupled with gameplay features/mechanics added through patches?

(1) no need to go through the process for developing, promoting, and releasing expansion packs.
(2) no civ version conflicts for the wider community, since every one has the same game through the patches. Imagine one CIV GOTM.
(3) greater revenue from DLC than expansions.

For the people questioning about patches, they've said on the official site that the next patch will be out before the DLC is released.

Top Bottom