New DLC civs vs new DLC leaders

I hope there will be eventually multiple leaders for every civ to display multiple aspects of the civilization. Bismarck with an ability that lets you recruit defeated barbarians really didn't make much sense.
New leaders will probably be far cheaper than new civs. You can recycle the city art, the UUs, UBs, UDs and music, and fans won't get that angry for being stuck with a bad choice like Gandhi or Cleopatra.

Guys, you should all remember, that every second-leader-for-civs-already-in means one less proper civ. Diversity rill be pretty much RIP. I really hope devs will leave additional leaders to modders.

Do we know the maximum number of civs that can be active in a game for Civ 6?

Guys, you should all remember, that every second-leader-for-civs-already-in means one less proper civ. Diversity rill be pretty much RIP. I really hope devs will leave additional leaders to modders.

Generally yes, but not for DLC. Developers could sell more DLC if the separate those with new civs and those with new leaders. I have a strong feeling that's what they intend to do.

still, more hours spent on "more leaders" DLCs = less civ DLCs. Budget is not endless, money will be spent only on one of those things, not both

For reference, here's Jon Shafer's post from last month about leader vs. civ development time in Civ V. (And for those that don't know, Jon has stated he doesn't really have any insider knowledge specifically about Civ 6 development.)

Leaders are actually ALL of the extra work. Adding new civs is pretty trivial by comparison. I wanted to keep multiple leaders in 5 but it was just too expensive. I'd assume the same is true for Civ 6, but hey, you never know.

- Jon

For reference, here's Jon Shafer's post from last month about leader vs. civ development time in Civ V. (And for those that don't know, Jon has stated he doesn't really have any insider knowledge specifically about Civ 6 development.)

Interesting. I guess I'm not sure how much programming there is to implement unique bonuses and such. I figured the art would be the big time spent.

Interesting. I guess I'm not sure how much programming there is to implement unique bonuses and such. I figured the art would be the big time spent.

Well tbh, John Shafer and co were clearly too busy making leader screens to focus any time on the little things like balance :p Maybe if you take those other sorts of considerations into effect the leader screens aren't such a big percentage of the consideration

Well tbh, John Shafer and co were clearly too busy making leader screens to focus any time on the little things like balance :p Maybe if you take those other sorts of considerations into effect the leader screens aren't such a big percentage of the consideration

I get the sarcasm. I'm pretty positive he had nothing to do with leader screens for those that take what you wrote as serious.

Since Hojo Tokomune seems to be the leader for Japan, I hope there will be several leaders for some civs. Please Meiji, Please!

If there were multiple leaders for civilizations in Civ VI -- something that fans have been asking for for a while -- don't you think Firaxis would say so? Don't you think that would right on the top of the list of features in all of their marketing materials?

Folks aren't using their common sense.

If there were multiple leaders for civilizations in Civ VI -- something that people have been asking for for a while -- don't you think Firaxis would say so?

I feel like they are just keeping their options open. They appear to have made a framework for it, but I imagine they are not using it yet for multiple leaders. I did not follow the hype for Civ 4, but I can imagine that they did not advertise multiple leaders for the base game release.

To me, the framework seems to be for the benefit of Modders. It would be a visible demonstration of Firaxis' commitment to making the game more modder-friendly than Civ V.

To me, the framework seems to be for the benefit of Modders. It would be a visible demonstration of Firaxis' commitment to making the game more modder-friendly than Civ V.

That's a good point, but I'm sure it is on the table for the future. We will never know their true intention most likely, but I have a feeling it is something they will re-evaluate in the future.

I think multiple leaders per civ would be great, especially as DLC. Having multiple leaders for the same civ offers more variety if you have a group of favorite civs to play as/against. And it allows for focus on different time periods for the longer-lived civs represented (China, India, Rome, etc) without cramming everything into one amalgamation of a civ. Plus, it would continue a pattern: so far, even numbered civ games have multiple leaders (although Civ2 was rather trivial, as it was just a change in a static portrait) while odd numbered games have had one leader per civ.

If there were multiple leaders for civilizations in Civ VI -- something that fans have been asking for for a while -- don't you think Firaxis would say so? Don't you think that would right on the top of the list of features in all of their marketing materials?

Were pretty sure on release we'll have 18 civs with 1 leader each, so multiple leaders don't go into list of features.

On the other hand, DLC with additional leaders is highly possible, since additional DLC type means more sales and a lot of things in the game suggests it's multiple-leaders ready.

How long did it take after launch of Civ V that we got the first dlcs ?
I think as a non-bundled, non-free DLC, Babylon was available a month after launch. Then, Spain and Inca were about 3 months after launch.

Top Bottom