New DLC, December 1?

Willowmound

Wordbug
Steam tells me there is a Cradle of Civilization map pack bundle for sale and that it was released today, December 1.

Was this announced?

I see them too, dated Nov 30 for me. Four separate DLCs, each for $2.99 (or $9.99 for the bundle). Didn't see an announcement. Won't be getting any of them anyway! :rolleyes:

I don't think those are new as such, just available to all for purchase. I'm pretty sure I got the Asia map pack with my pre-order (based on my geographical location).

Oh man I was so excited when I saw this thread, only to be let down...

Selling maps seems to be a bit hopeful (and bundling them together for a discount seems to be pretty smart). I mean, these maps should not be terribly difficult to replicate for free, right? From the small blurb:
The Cradle of Civilization map packs are Firaxis-designed maps of real-world locations. You can play random leaders in these settings, or choose leaders appropriate to the history of these areas. The maps can also be opened up in World Builder, where you can even create specific scenarios.
There doesn't seem to be anything particularly special about them that you couldn't get through your own map creation.

You can indeed recreate them, but that just might violate some intellectual property laws.

A, nyway for me civ is about random maps and exploitation rather then playing maps that I know in advance. These maps do not speak to new the least bit.

And now they're charging for the rest of the "pre-order exclusives".

Disgusting business practice. I feel betrayed. Getting a pre-order shouldn't cost $10 more, and yet it did.

There is far too much wrong with the game - far beyond any dispute over personal preferences - for me to even consider DLC, not a snowballs chance in hell. The gauling thing is they know thats true, yet still release more fluff before the desparately needed Patches. Its ultimate arrogance and treating the deminishing Traditional fanbase as irrelevant cash cows .... grrr .... makes my blood boil.

Regards
Zy

DLCs ?
Is it the name of a new disease ? Do we have anti-retro virals for it?

Seeying them aswell.
2.99 per map is abit TOO MUCH.

Not to forget there are already FREE community maps of higher standard imho.

- im not buying it, and i hope with me many others, these DLC shakedowns of normal consumers have got to end, a new civ i can see the reasoning as it brings alot of extra work (animation, modeling, balancing etc)
But a simple freaking map for 2.99 a pop NO freaking WAY, they can shove those maps where the sun dont shine.

You can indeed recreate them, but that just might violate some intellectual property laws.

So are people now not allowed to make any Americas, Asian, Mediterranean or Mesopotamian maps, or would it just extend to direct map copies? If the former, well, that sucks, if the latter, then just change a tile and voila.

...probably not, judging on how well the developers are handling releases so far!

Still waiting for patches that will fix the vanilla game, AI, diplomacy, bugs and MP...

I realise that everything has to be tested in order not to introduce even more bugs (is that possible?) but there shouldn´t be any shortage of willing testers on this and other forums to help the developers in the testing process given the chance to do so!

Frankly not using the huge communities in testing the game more thoroughly prior and after release in order to fix problems faster is a disgrace!

So are people now not allowed to make any Americas, Asian, Mediterranean or Mesopotamian maps, or would it just extend to direct map copies? If the former, well, that sucks, if the latter, then just change a tile and voila.

It is frustrating they couldn't be bothered to pay someone to finish end-game replays and put historical graphs in the game (a core component of all Civ games)... but they did have the money for map-packs. Not cool.

Frankly not using the huge communities in testing the game more thoroughly prior and after release in order to fix problems faster is a disgrace!

Things sure are different than a few years ago aren't they? It would be nice to have a Firaxis employee just lay it all out as to why things have gone this way. No punches pulled, no BS. This series is so much more than "just a game" for us. Maybe Take2 doesn't realize that if they're the ones behind the change.

I should have gotten the cradle of civilization mappack when I preordered the game.
Never got it however...

You are free to make your own maps, which will probably be better. Just don't use the DLC ones. Iirc these were all the pre-order bonus map packs.

My pre-order had 3 maps, missing mesopotamia. Not gonna buy it thou.

You are free to make your own maps, which will probably be better. Just don't use the DLC ones. Iirc these were all the pre-order bonus map packs.

The cradle of civ pre-order bonus was just Mesopotamia & Nebakadezzar for us Steam purchasers. So it would cost $9 more to get the missing content.

So there isn't anything to stop some kind-hearted map maker from making these exact same maps and putting them up on CFC for free? If so, I would suggest everyone just wait a day and get this content for free.

Top Bottom