1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New DLC, December 1?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Willowmound, Dec 1, 2010.

1. ImperialGuard

ImperialGuard Chieftain

If you send me two dollars I will make you any map you like. :lol:

Maybe we should set something up on: "Kickstarter - an online fundraising site for creative projects"

Setup a creative project for each map, and once enough orders are in have someone build them.

We could donate the money to CivFanatics or a charity. Wouldn't that just burn 2K ?:devil:

2. Victorvanwavere

Victorvanwavere Chieftain

Someone make a poll, let's see who will actually buy this, and if they do, I'd love to know why.

3. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

I read the title expecting to see Pachacuti and Isabella... how dissapointing. $10 - four maps? Ripoff.

4. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Hm, the civ series is not renown for its accuracy when it comes to maps. Im sure modders can make better ones for free :)

5. stormerne

stormerne is just a Retired Moderator

You know... I'm quite surprised at the business naivety behind this. It strikes me as a massive PR fail. (To offer these before the next long-awaited patch.) Or is it me that's being naive?

6. Lazy Knight

Lazy Knight Chieftain

They made it months ago as Pre-Order bonusses. Now they're selling it. I don't see anything wrong with that, although I don't see any reason to buy it either.

7. LordTC

LordTC Chieftain

Do they start screwing over modders who make similar maps?

I mean someone already has a classical world map up that is similar (and from what I've seen slightly better) than the mediterranean map they have.

Maps of Asia are awkward, in general I seldom see requests for them, people usually want to include Europe or at least the middle east because its hard to do a good Asia scenario without a power to the east.

I like how they advertise that "you can create scenarios" buy DLC so you can do the work :p.

The mesopotemia map looks ok. The americas map looks a little strange, seems like they cut off most or all of Canada, part of the Ohio Valley is missing too, and the great lakes aren't even on the map. Heck the Iroquois start in Florida instead of at the great lakes. And they want people to pay for this :p. Here's a hint the Iroquois are not the Seminoles :p

8. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

We're probably both being naive. :blush: Most of the Civ5 playerbase isn't going to care (or even know) that Firaxis is releasing these prior to the next round of bug-fixes and rebalancing. The only think Firaxis risks in selling more DLC before fixing more bugs is the wrath of a very marginal portion of its user base - us. :sad: (And not even all of us. Some of us. Which is maybe a couple hundred people? A drop in the bucket as far as they're concerned.)

9. Methos

Methos HoF Quattromaster Super Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

After the statement that they were selling the Babylon civ, then this should be expected. There's no monetary loss for them, since its already created content. This doesn't bother me at all. What worries me is future content that isn't already offered from pre-sale offers.

As to the maps, I do like the Mediterranean map. I wouldn't mind it, but I also know that I don't play scenarios/maps to make the purchase worth it for me. Heck, I still haven't downloaded the map that came with my purchase.

10. bryanw1995

bryanw1995 Chieftain

ha! I have the maps but don't ever play them. I much prefer random maps.

11. denna39

denna39 Chieftain

What I would like to see are some Fantasy maps. Y'know, change the terrain look, some cool natural wonders like "Skull Mountain"....a change of scenery (literally).

12. Methos

I suggest you watch the Civ5 - Creation & Customization forums.

13. Doctahg

Doctahg Chieftain

Since I'm new let me ask...These appear to be slightly more detailed maps than the *earth* map. Is this so? Do these get incorporated inot the *EARTH* map if you play on it? Are these maps part of a scenario involving this area? Don't reallty get what you get for the DLC?
    Ty

14. Methos

They are separate maps from the Earth map. They are not incorporated into the Earth map.

15. Pojman

Pojman Chieftain

This is absurd.. Anyone here that thinks that selling these maps and or whatever the hell they have labeled "DLC" has a mental disorder.

I can not believe what has happened to my most cherished video game and memories.

I do not care what anyone says in response to this, but I would like to say something.

Anyone who thinks that Civ 5 is a good game, or has anything good at all to say about it compared to is predecessors, is on a lower mental level than I am.

*Waits for mod action* Sorry, I am in a complete state of shock that my favorite hobby is being abused so harshly.

Moderator Action: Trolling. If you knew it was against the rules, then why post it?
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

16. stormerne

stormerne is just a Retired Moderator

Pojman - I sympathize. However, none of us is entitled. And underneath the husk of Civ5 is a core engine that we may be able to do something with. So please may I suggest that you take your obvious passion, and your ideas, and provide yourself and the real fans of the Civ series with some great mods that restore its integrity? Thanks in advance!

17. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

It would definitely be interesting if 2k 'Liz or Greg suddenly showed up and touted the pack with their PR Speak. Then again, maybe not. Haven't seen them in the forums in awhile, and not sure what 2k covers in the way of medical.

18. zulu9812

zulu9812 The Newbie Nightmare

They'd just be opening themselves up to flak. I'd be very surprised if we see anyone from 2K or Firaxis on these forums for a long while.

19. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

Real Fans? Interesting. Would you care to clarify Sir?

Moderator Action: No, he would not.

20. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

Agreed. Although from a "supposed" community manager, 2k Greg has been notoriously absent.