New DLC, December 1?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Willowmound, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Pojman

Pojman Chieftain

No, I would not

2. Pojman

Pojman Chieftain

I am not computer savvy.. I rely on others to do great works such as Civ 1-4 for me. I am a Pharmacist by occupation.. Unless you have questions regarding medicine, or chemistry, or compounding I am of no use.

3. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

If you're so inclined, go into the Off-Topic section and start an "Ask a Pharmacist" thread! :D

4. 2K Greg

2K Greg <span style="font-weight:bold; text-decoration: un

I'm around! I just don't read CFC very much. As I've said in the past, the 2K Forums is already almost too active to follow, and so there just aren't enough hours in the day for me to come here as well.

We're hard at work on the next big patch; when I have an ETA you will hear about it. :)

As for the topic of this thread, as others have mentioned, this is simply the pre-order incentives now being offered to everyone for sale. It had been announced before release that these would eventually go on sale, and so here it is!

5. stormerne

stormerne is just a Retired Moderator

I appreciate your candor. :goodjob: I wonder, however, whether modders ever want play testers. If so, you might consider it. I think they'd find enthusiasm combined with a sharpness of eye a boon to mod creation.

(My apologies to the OP for drifting off-topic. I shall stop now.)

6. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

Thanks for dropping in Greg. Would just like to say while many are complaining, some do enjoy the game and know that the shortcomings are not your fault.

7. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

So we have to go to 2K forums to get heard? I refuse to go there, the people there are even stupider than here! :mischief:
    Moderator Action: Please don't insult any related forums here or elsewhere, thanks.

8. Pojman

Pojman Chieftain

Deleted. I dont want to sound like the crazy lady at the service desk, in a retail store, trying to return something and getting nowhere. I just need to go back to the Civ 4 forum. This place brings out the worst in me.

9. DaveGold

DaveGold Emperor

STOP WHINING!

If you don't want packs don't buy them.

If they had given the packs away for free then anyone who had pre-ordered would have had a valid complaint.

If there is content that players want, and they didn't buy the pre-order, then let them purchase it now. The buyer gets what they want, the seller gets the money, and that's perfectly good business.

10. Pojman

Pojman Chieftain

My post was not really a whine. I was simply stating that my intelligence is far superior to anyone that does not see how absurd it is to go along with the way Civ 5 is being developed.

So, if you believe that Civ 5 is some sort of wonderful creation compared to its predecessors - I believe I am on a higher mental level than you. That's all.
    Moderator Action: Insluting other members is not allowed here.

11. John-SJ

John-SJ Chieftain

I'm afraid I just don't see what the big deal is.

Before release, Firaxis/2K offered to make some extra content available to anyone who pre-ordered the game. They even said that those who did not take advantage would be able to purchase the content at a later date.

Those who did not pre-order did not get the free content, understandable, that is the nature of incentives. But, as they said, the content is now available for sale to anyone.

So, once again, what is the big deal here? And, for some reason I can't explain, the words "mountain" and "mole hill" seem to be strongly in my mind right about now.

There are so many much more important things to spend emotional energy on, I can't believe that so many seem to be spending so much on something so inconsequential.

But that's just me.

12. John-SJ

John-SJ Chieftain

Perhaps that is so. But those who tend to think themselves better than others are almost without exception lacking in the department of emotional maturity.
    Moderator Action: And don't insult back. Report insulting posts instead.

13. Pojman

Pojman Chieftain

You got me there.. My wife would agree with you on that one.. I guess we all have our strengths and weaknesses.

14. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

Yep they do.

The only thing worth using is Zaeed, the Firewalker missions are kind of meh, the armour permanently has the helmet on, and the Arc Projector isn't very useful. As well if you buy the game second hand you have to buy the Cerberus thing to even access ANY DLC. The Shadow Broker is a good DLC, but they still charge a couple of bucks too much for it imo.

As well as numerous $20 expansions, with EUIII coming onto its 4th expansion this month (which with Paradox I am okay with). However yeah paradox does listen to their community fairly well (hell that is the only reason they are making Crusader Kings 2 because the community really wants it, they don't expect a profit), sadly they are unique in this.

That was their development model yes, and indeed I myself bought in at $13 with version .632, however they are still rather unique in this and unlike Firaxis are an independent developer who literally started as a husband and wife :p (And I love them for it).

As I said above you have to buy the game new or get the cerberus network card for $10+ in order to get them, and only a couple of the free DLCs are actually worth using.

Pre-orders from different sites, there's a thread on this stickied here.

I'm going to be honest with you, a single map isn't much of an incentive, especially when they are restricted to different websites, with some having up to three of them but not being even on the same continent! Neither do they look like they are worth $2.99 each. I appreciate the effort but I don't buy DLC unless I expect to get my money's worth (Dragon Age: Origins DLC is a GIANT RIP OFF! Never again. Bioware I am disappoint.)

Very, very few developer/publisher's community PR guys check non-official forums, its nice that 2KGreg is still checking CFC, which is a good sign.

15. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

I'm curious, why should I pay 3 bucks for one of these maps when I can just convert the excellent Civ4 location maps, do a few quick changes in WB, and have practicaly the same thing while saving 3 bucks?

16. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Super Moderator Supporter

Corporate greed everywhere...how unexpected...

I'd disagree with the last sentence, but i agree with the first part.
    But not to mention, probably the minority thought here that it was a good idea at the beginning.

you should be able to download it in Steam, you should check that.
    And i think there's a thread in the tech subforum somewhere :think:.

17. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

Firaxis put them up for anyone who wants the pre-order packs. Buy them or don't, you're choice. Feel free to create your own maps :)

18. Tatran

Tatran Deity

:lol::lol::lol:
    You've responded in a thread which has been created 14 hours ago.

Tip : save the art work and abandon the civ5 project.

19. CivFanaticMan

CivFanaticMan Warlord

what a rip off. they sell you maps that you can easily make yourself.

20. Arsenic Steel

Arsenic Steel Warlord

Intriguing, as I thought those that wanted pre-order bonues items would be the ones that pre-order the game.

So now to get pre-order items you can either pay for a pre-order or wait and pay for the items as DLC. That gives me less incentive to pre-order from companies that do things like that.