1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New DLC on December 16

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Supr49er, Dec 9, 2010.

1. zerotwo

zerotwo Chieftain

2 civs for $10? Are they bananas?

I complain about DLC because back in the game I got a huge expansion pack full of leaders and maps and new gameplay mechanics for $40.

Now I have to spend $10 for two civs that they took out of the game in the first place.

I want value for my dollar and today's DLC doesn't do it for me. When all the DLC is out they will have a package deal on steam at 50% off, then I'll buy it.

2. Grapa

Grapa Warlord

It's actually 7:50. It's basically like getting a meal at McDonalds. Don't like it, don't buy it. Those are the joys of capitalism.

3. anandus

anandus Errorist

I can't find it, does anyone have a link for me to the DLC?

4. Yskonyn

Yskonyn Chieftain

It's not out yet, anandus.
    A few more hours still. ;)

5. PAnz3r

PAnz3r Chieftain

their cost still 7.50 in euro or it is 5 euro and something? sorry for the question but i'm at work and i dont have steam

6. ripple01

ripple01 Emperor

Something to consider:

Civ5 comes with the default map allowing up to 22 civs. Civ5 came with 18 civs.

Civ4 comes with the default map allowing up to 18 civs. Civ4 came with 18 civs.

If you take the 18 civs in Civ V, and add Babylon, Mongolia, Spain, and Inca (the 4 civs released as DLC), you get a total of 22 civs which matches the amount the default map allows. Also consider the fact that Mongolia sound files were found in the original game, and also one of the previews that said one of the leaders spoke Quecha, and I don't think it is a stretch at all to deduce that these 4 civs were done and complete before the release of the game.

7. ClarenceSeedorf

ClarenceSeedorf Chieftain

Anytime today?

8. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

I think it's a stretch to say they were done. I agree it's not a stretch to say they were considered and the sound files were done. But if you understand the time constraints of the video game industry, it's a stretch to say all the art files were done. That's just not logical. What are the artists doing right now? It makes sense to do all the sound recordings at the same time. But if you know you're going to release Civs as DLC, it makes sense to not start their art until after you release the game. There's other, more important art to work on ahead of time. I mean (to show I'm not entirely supporting Firaxis blindly) do you think if they had free time, they'd have made Civs not to be released for four months instead of working on the rivers?

9. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

:( wish I had more money, I'd love Babylon, Inca and Spain in my game but I don't have the money (or any credit card that works :p )

Sight :(, I hope that this are going to be the only nations that will be paid for, because it would be stupid for them to charge us for all other civilizations :(

10. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

They also charge for new civs. That's what expansion packs are, aren't they?

I'm not sure what the Euro price is for Babylon, but you can't get access to 5-10 Euros? That's the price of a dinner at a restaurant. It's three pints of Guinness at a pub in London (can't speak for Ireland, want to go, but still can't).

11. lschnarch

lschnarch Emperor

Regarding the rivers:
    I am pretty sure they were "dumbed down" to ease the stress on the graphics cards. For the same reason, I don't expect them to get improved anytime soon, if at all.

As far as civilizations are concerned, I agree to the theory that they have been left out of the vanilla version for a purpose.
    After all, Firaxis did set free artists and other people in July or August.

About your theory that the soundfiles all had to be made at the same time: this doesn't make any sense. After all, we're talking about completely different languages. So, to temporarily save some money, it would have been more advisable to make the sound files short before the release of the DLC. Yet, obviously they were done pre-release.
    Strong indication that it was planned at some time to have these civilizations in the game at release time. That they changed their plans for making more money does not invalidate this assumption.

12. marekb

marekb Warlord

If I remember well Babylon costs 3.49€. It's closer to the price of one or two beers than to the price of a dinner at a restaurant.

13. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

They had to rent a studio to record the sound. Firaxis is based in Baltimore, the sound files were recorded in Montreal. Of course it makes sense to record them at the same time. In addition, we're talking about the Dawn of Man recordings. Do you think they wanted to bug Morgan Sheppard every single time or have him record 22 at once? Ockham's razor suggests that they recorded the sound files at the same time because it was more economical. But it does not suggest that finished all the art files at the same time. Pointing to some people laid off is far from conclusive proof. It simply fails to address the time constraints that all video game companies are under (and it's pretty conclusive that Firaxis was under).

Under your theory, they not only had plenty of time to get all the artwork done for release, but they had extra time so they could lay off employees and make the art for 22 civs. Look at the pre-release screens. How long did it take before the Social Policy screenshots stopped showing filler icons? Those icons are simple compared to making leaders and even they took time. Your idea only makes sense if you take a few cherry picked points and ignore reality.

Well, I meant the whole thing. But I just remembered I was converting pounds to euros as if they're equivalent (although they practically are today). IIRC, 3 quid 50 was the price of one pint of Guinness when I was in London. Didn't pay for beer when I was in Italy, since wine was so much cheaper. But I meant the overall price (8.49 euro) is the equivalent to a dinner.

14. Shylock76

Shylock76 Chieftain

€4 for a pint of Guinness in Dublin, €3.50 at best so approx €5.68 is less than two pints, lasts alot longer and doesnt give you a hangover......mmmmmmmmmmm Guinness!

15. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

I suppose asking an Irishman to give up to pints of Guinness for Civ might not have been the best argument in the world I could have made :p

16. Helmling

Helmling Philosopher King

Okay, now, seriously...what time of day is this stupid thing coming out!

17. Sneaks

Sneaks Brooklyn Bum

My guess is either 12EST or 3EST

18. anandus

anandus Errorist

So in fortyfive minutes or 3 hours and fortyfive minutes. If my timezoneconversioncalculations are correct?

19. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Yeah, 40 minutes til noon on the east coast right now

20. DGMan

DGMan Chieftain

The D2D pre-order codes are live now - and they work. Have the DLC downloaded already (155MB)