New DLC on December 16

Who exactly should the angry letter be addressed to when complaining about unfair pricing? 2K or Steam? At the very least, half an excuse for it would be nice.

Those of you who are tempted to buy CIV V DLC:

I ask you to put your credit card down and step away from the monitor for a moment. Consider the facts in front of you...how do you feel about the direction of the Civ franchise? What are you being asked to subsidize? I conclude that it is unconscionable to ask real Civ fans to pay this amount of money for this kind of content for this sort of game.

I don't care that it's only a business and they're allowed to charge whatever they won't blah blah. Selling this stuff at this price for this game is just plain wrong.

Those of you who are tempted to buy CIV V DLC:

I ask you to put your credit card down and step away from the monitor for a moment. Consider the facts in front of you...how do you feel about the game and the direction of the Civ franchise?

I enjoy the game. I figure gameplay will vary depending on which Civ game it is. I'm content with this game, so it's worth adding to it.

What are you being asked to do here?

Pay for art made by professionals that add to the game.

I am left with an unshakable conviction that it is unconscionable to ask real Civ fans to pay this amount of money for thiskind of content for this sort of game.

That's nice. I'm left with the impression that it's completely affordable and adds a nice little touch to a game I enjoy playing.

I don't care that it's only a business and they're allowed to charge whatever they won't blah blah. Selling this stuff at this price for this game is just plain wrong.

Eh, I won't turn down free. By any chance, can I have your car?

My point is the seller sets the price and the buyer then chooses whether or not to buy it. There are so many factors to consider, such as the cost of production and the amount of people expected to purchase it. If the buyer got to choose what the seller should sell it for and declare any amount higher to be just plain wrong, I'll peg the price at free.

...Selling this stuff at this price for this game is just plain wrong.

Duh - you mean to tell me *HOW* & *WHY* i must decide what i should do with my own hard earned money? Working for a living is soooo much fun in fact, that if i'm ever restricted by anything or anybody in the choices i make for personal leisures... i'll immediately quit job(s), go_remain_die on Welfare and be done with society, responsability, ambition, pride and miscellaneous other notions of the whole participatory fiscal Capitalism as performed here in Québec or anywhere else on planet Earth. Never to look back.
Then, right after having stopped worrying about the Rich-vs-Poor obsessive principles of the many, i'd file for divorce from my dear wife & her two girls, get rid of the Toyota, sell the house, pull some marbles out of the bank account(s) & so on.

THIS (yes, this too) would provide plenty enough spare time to play CiV along with every damn DLC stuff i'd care spending my last nickels & stacked savings on.

Com'on, this suggestion of yours is entirely off the scale of rationalized consumer freedoms while trying to punch a hole in sales number for Firaxis.

Truth be told... hater_nay-sayer_troller & others of their kind will never have any influence over my personal decisions.

Truth be told... hater_nay-sayer_troller & others of their kind will never have any influence over my personal decisions.

Truth be told...they're not pricing their dlc product especially for sale to you, they're selling the same thing at the same price to all of us depending on what country we live in...So much for your cherished individualism.

The funny thing about market fundamentalism is in the end you have one side setting rules and things and the other side reacting silently in isolation -- to buy or not buy? Of course that's not the way real human being behave or the way the real world works. I'm calling 2K out on their shoddy business practices. If you want to reward mediocrity with your own cash obviously you can. They're only too happy to oblige you.

If you want to reward mediocrity with your own cash obviously you can. They're only too happy to oblige you.

Yes indeed.

Also, by my estimate, if this DLC is worth 7.50$, Beyond the Sword for Civ IV should have been sold at around 75$ at the very least.

I don't say no to DLC, but I will vote with my wallet and wait 'til things are bundled and priced more reasonably.

Oh, shut up. I'm not buying this DLC right now either because I don't think it's worth it. But it's getting really annoying having a bunch of burger flippers complain about prices every single time. Too bad some of us have actual skills that companies are willing to pay for.
Moderator Action: Trolling is not allowed in this forum.

Oh, shut up. I'm not buying this DLC right now either because I don't think it's worth it. But it's getting really annoying having a bunch of burger flippers complain about prices every single time. Too bad some of us have actual skills that companies are willing to pay for.

Let them eat cake.

It's not really the price of course it's the rudemess of asking CIV fans us to pay more on top of what we already paid for this hollow shell of a game that was broken and incomplete on release and isn't terribly fun to play even after several patches. It's the odiousness of asking for more money at the same time as releasing a patch -- making the all-too-obvious connection that if you want a shoddy, boring game polished you'll need to keep shoveling money in our direction.

What part of the $49.99 I already spent did 2K not receive? Good lord. Have they paid it out already as a shareholder dividend?

What they're doing is almost beneath contempt.

Let them eat cake.

It's not really the price of course it's the rudemess of asking CIV fans us to pay more on top of what we already paid for this hollow shell of a game that was broken and incomplete on release and isn't terribly fun to play even after several patches. It's the odiousness of asking for more money at the same time as releasing a patch -- making the all-too-obvious connection that if you want a shoddy, boring game polished you'll need to keep shoveling money in our direction.

What part of the $49.99 I already spent did 2K not receive? Good lord. Have they paid it out already as a shareholder dividend?

What they're doing is almost beneath contempt.

I'm curious, now. How exactly is this any different from, say, offering an expansion? The only real difference is that you have to wait longer between content releases.

I make more than enough to fall well out of your 'burger flipper' designation, and I feel like they're just nickle-and-diming everyone with piddly expansions like this.

I'm curious, now. How exactly is this any different from, say, offering an expansion? The only real difference is that you have to wait longer between content releases.

Quite right if they released an expansion to Civ V in its current form, it would be obnoxious and I would find it offensive.

At the same time the DLC is a micro-transaction -- nowhere near the depth of an expansion. You must argue that those little bits of DLC add up at some point to a quality expansion offering.

If your major concern is content ASAP of course then DLC is the way to go.

Edit: This has been hashed out before, but it seems to many that DLC doesn't represent value for money as a general proposition. Here I am making the point that with this game in its current state this micro transaction "ask" only exacerbates hard feelings between long time CIV fans and Firaxis/2K.

Quite right if they released an expansion to Civ V in its current form, it would be obnoxious and I would find it offensive.

At the same time the DLC is a micro-transaction -- nowhere near the depth of an expansion. You must argue that those little bits of DLC add up at some point to a quality expansion offering.

Edit: This has been hashed out before, but it seems to many that DLC doesn't represent value for money as a general proposition. Here I am making the point that with this game in its current state this micro transaction "ask" only exacerbates hard feelings between long time CIV fans and Firaxis/2K.

My thoughts on the above quote:

Quite right if they released an expansion to Civ V in its current form, it would be obnoxious to me and I would find it offensive.

At the same time the DLC is a micro-transaction -- nowhere near the depth of an expansion. You must argue that those little bits of DLC add up at some point to a quality expansion offering. The same could be said about a book series or DVD collection, but that does not stop book and movie publishers from profitably distributing books and DVD as individual units

Edit: This has been hashed out before, but it seems to me and some others, but not necessarily a majority that DLC doesn't represent value for money as a general proposition. Here I am making the point that based on how I feel about this game in its current state this micro transaction "ask" the term offer would be more appropriate, no one from 2K/Firaxis has asked me or anyone else as far as I know for anything only exacerbates hard feelings between this long time CIV fans and Firaxis/2K

As a long time Civ fan myself, I respectfully ask to NOT be lumped into this category. I personally have no hard feelings to be exacerbated
Just because Firaxis is offering content that some may want to purchase immediately, that does not make it (in and of itself) offensive

The difference is between paying for every dish in restaurant and paying separately for every bit of each dish you put into your mouth. Even if the price is the same in the end, the feeling is not.

The difference is between paying for every dish in restaurant and paying separately for every bit of each dish you put into your mouth. Even if the price is the same in the end, the feeling is not.

Yet with the second, you only pay for those bites you want.

Top Bottom