New Expansion Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bite

Unofficial Civilization Cartographer
Super Moderator
Until there is an official announcement of some kind this will be the thread where we can discus and pontificate on what a future expansion might look like.

A reminder that

a) We don't know what it will contain so please don't get into fights over content we don't know about
b) Firaxis has not in any way released any information that they are working on a second expansion, the info we have now comes from an unconfirmed leak, so please no pestering of Firaxis staff in this thread about more information
c) HERE is a link to the leak, but remember this has not been confirmed

Last edited:
Do you think the new sea tile improvements imply a new mechanic, or the expansion of say the adviser system?

My Italy theories
:
- Expansion codename Vesuvius (italian location)

- No italian city-states in the game even though Civ 5 had like four of them

- Basegame Civ 6 files had a trace of Genoa, whatever that meant

- Stuff like canal districts and Venice are big fan requests for Civ 6 so it could happen..

and a bit more far fetched:
- in the picture of water infrastructure, the one with the dome reminds me of Aquaria di Genoa, a big tourist attraction located in Genoa, Italy https://static.thousandwonders.net/Aquarium.of.Genoa.original.12235.jpg

I think we are getting italy in some form, I hope we get Venice but who knows

Honestly, I just don't get why people care to speculate on new expansions, DLCs.
My question would be more like: When all the glaring bugs and disconnections will be finally fixed in the current game.

Original posted here.

So, it looks like we’ll get either an expansion or dlc in the near future. Maybe February next year?

I really like Civ VI. I think the core ideas of the game and execution have been excellent. But it also feels half finished. The early game is very tight, maybe even into Medieval. But to my mind the mid and late game aren’t great, and so much of the game needs better balancing and expanding.

At this stage we don’t know much [...] If you take the pictures at face value, it looks like we might get some more ocean districts. If the name is for real, maybe natural disasters or something like that?

Any expansion will have new mechanics and new bling. I don’t mind, but do get a little worried about bloat. Coastal cities maybe need a boost, but do they need new districts? Well, it’s not like the water park was game changing. But yeah, okay. Sounds great.

But what the game really needs is much more work on core gameplay and core mechanics. RnF in particular introduced a tonne of stuff which feels very incomplete - particularly Governors.

My biggest concern is that FXS don’t have a plan. Vanilla had a very clear plan - make the map matter. That goal determined how tactical combat worked, how districts worked, how techs and envoys worked, and so on. It’s why Vanilla was so good. RnF felt like just throwing stuff at the wall, and I’m worried the next expansion (or dlc) might be the same.

Do people think FXS can get there? Or is there just too much for FXS to do? Is this going to be RnF and we get a heap more bling that makes the game feel bloated and doesn’t really take things forward much, or will new stuff just be a cover for really getting the rest of the game as tight as the early game? Are past versions any guide, and if so what do they suggest? Or are we in safe hands, and we should just sit back and play on our iPads and switches while everything falls into place.

I'd wish they change the way loyalty works. Now its basically just big populations that do the trick. I'd rather lessen loyalty with distance to the capital and have different cultures (occupying other civs' cities) like RFC in CIv4 did it with the stability mechanism. That worked really well. Small civs with maybe one or two cities shouldn't fall to big civs' population pressure. In fact, the other way round. Small, compact civs should exert more loyalty pressure on big, bloated warmonger civs. In the Revolutions DCM mod of Civ4 warmongering on a big scale was really difficult because conquered civs were always prone to independance.
I don't need any more districts and I would like to see air units be buildable and usable without so much infrastructure. That's really hampering the AI. Aircraft should play a big role in the Atomic era, currently its nonexistant. A district is fine to improve the quality of your aircraft but it shoudn't be a necessary condition.

I hope they're revisiting the RnF game systems to make them more interesting, more relevant, more balanced, more integrated with the rest of the game.

But "new bling" I'm fine with, too. It's just that new civs, districts, even game systems will likely only get me back into the game for some dozen hours at best which isn't much for a Civ game. For me to really get into the game like I got into Civ5 and Civ4, they need to significantly improve the stuff that's already there.

I looked at the original leak thread and the post qith the blond queen has words "forgot image haha" so I feel its from the original poster and legitimate.

I googled images of Aethelflaed and she has been pictured with same color dress on some book and fan art drawings, red dress with blue sleeves or cape.

Also the freely flowing hair and crown has some similarities..

I think she is an English alt-leader. If it ia so I feel we get more than one alt-leader as well.

What we know:
- A new expansion is likely under way. Eagle Pursuit pointed out it's unlikely to be a DLC due to the code name.
- Inclusion of a new male leader. The styling of the hair and clothing suggest polynesian origins, specifically Maori.
- The new leader leads a new Civ. None of the current in-game civs match the style of hair and clothing (see above), so he's not an Alt.
- New aquatic improvement, district or wonder. I personally *think* it's a tile improvement and not a district or wonder, but who knows.

Unconfirmed so far:
- Unknown Blonde Queen ("Waifu.pgn" aka "Queen Doe") art posted by the same FourChan user who leaked the Polynesian leader. Through our collective efforts, tentatively identified as Eleanor of Aquitaine, thought some believe she might be Æthelflæd. Lack of context means this new female leader could technically still be a hoax.
- Possible release date of 14/02/2019. I've seen this date parroted around, but where are the receits exactly?
- Name of the expansion. Its codename is "Vesuvius", which is an unlikely name for a Civ XPac.

Idle Speculation (don't believe unless proven otherwise):
- Potential Environmental or aquatic theme (spawned by the screenshot of the new aquatic tile improvement and the code name. We still have to see any concrete indication towards either)
- Possible inclusion of Italy as a Civ (based on the codename "Vesuvius". Same thing, no concrete evidence pointing towards that either)

I'll restate it here. I think the two structures are on the bottom are new water districts in the fashion of the water park. It is too much of a coincidence that the one that looks like a factory is red and the one that looks like a science is blue. There is a precedent of doing this with the water park, which may have been a test case. I'm not too fond of the idea but that is what it looks like to me. The concept of a giant Pittsburgh suspended over the water on floats is too much for me.

I'm not a big fan either. Unless they are planning on bringing the game further into future eras. Which would mean delaying current victory condition mechanics which cause victories to come quite early. As far as I know there is no precedent for industrial facilities at sea aside from oil rigs. As for science, most science stations at sea are fairly small.

With the indifference at best, and opposed regular response to the waterpark, I have to say that I'm surprised that they might have doubled down.

I'll restate it here. I think the two structures are on the bottom are new water districts in the fashion of the water park. It is too much of a coincidence that the one that looks like a factory is red and the one that looks like a science is blue. There is a precedent of doing this with the water park, which may have been a test case. I'm not too fond of the idea but that is what it looks like to me. The concept of a giant Pittsburgh suspended over the water on floats is too much for me.

Agreed. The colours clearly suggest campus and industrial, and the “campus” one has a classic district shape. The power blades look slightly greenish like Neighbourhoods so I wonder if there’s a connection there.

If these are science and industrial related, it might suggest a change to how these districts work - particularly Industrial which FXS must know people think is week. The water park did lead to significant changes to the entertainment zone, adding in regional tile buffs. It’s all very curious.

Until there is an official announcement of some kind this will be the thread where we can discus and pontificate on what a future expansion might look like.
YOU CLOSED MY THREAD!

Side note: I couldn't find any actual protest smilies, which made me sad.

Onward to the new thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom