1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New fan and player

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by trevi2, Dec 31, 2010.

1. trevi2

trevi2 Chieftain

Dear all,

I played and a lot to other civ games, and I've just bought civ 4. I have different questions that I haven't seen answered in other posts...

1. Terraforming, and for example create hills or mountains, or eliminating dessert or peaks is no more possible, right?

2. I have constructed the old Hoover Dam ( Three throats), but I see that the program gives me the chance of still generating new nuclear, or coal electric centrals. I believe it gives a 10% production plus, so it is possible to build electric centrals in the cities. Is it worth it to construct different centrals in the same city?

3. I see it is possible to build offshore platforms, but I do not kwow how to do it. My workers do not do it.

4. I see it is hard to gain battles. I have seen some posts regarding the issue. The normal way to win is diplomatic, or with the space trip?

2. xenex

xenex Prince

To create maps you press Ctrl+w to open world builder which allows you to put anything you want in the game.

For stuff on water you use boats, in this case work boat is what you are looking for, but you need the correct tech.

The normal way to win is whichever way you are capable of winning.

3. Shoes

Shoes Warlord

First of all welcome to Civfanatics I hope you have as good time as I am having.

Now to try and answer your questions:

1. Do you mean worker terraforming or cheat terraforming? If u ment worker terraforming then no it's not possible. For cheat terraforming check the post above.

2. Since when does it give 10% bonus? I don't think so though I might be wrong since I haven't paid a visit to Civilopedia in a while.

3. You 1st need to get the "Plastics" technology then move your work boat on top of a oil resource and there should be a "Construct Offshore Platform" in its action bar.

4. Depends, small maps can be won fairly easy by conquest or domination, but when it comes to huge maps then yeah what you said.

PS: Happy New Year

4. snepp

snepp King

1. No terraforming. There might be mods that enable this?

2. Only 1 power helps.

3. Offshore platforms get built on whale and oil resources. You need the 'Optics' tech to build them on whales and the 'Plastics' tech to do it on oil.

4. The beauty of Civ 4, you can do whatever you want.

5. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

1. If you are talking about changing things on the map that you do not like, use World Builder, like Xenex said. If you mean having your workers do these things, no you can't.

2. All of the power plant options remain available once you have the tech for them, even if you have already built one of the others. They do not add together in any way. There is no reason to build one if you have one of the others. The exception being that if you have coal plants and then build one of the other options, you will no longer have the coal plant health penalty.

3. Once you have the tech "plastics", build a work boat and send it to the offshore oil patch. Then select the icon to build the platform, similar to using a work boat to harvest fish.

4. You can win by any method that you like. I like to choose a different method for each game. There are many people here who style themselves "warmongers" and always play for the military victory.

6. Shoes

Shoes Warlord

Lol 2 minutes 3 posts xDD

7. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

You need the Plastics tech and a work boat to create an offshore platform. (snepp - that's a whaling boat :) )

I assume you mean terraforming land with workers. That is not available in the normal game. However, there are some mods that have this feature. You can change or create Maps with Worldbuilder as mentioned, but it's really consider cheating in a straight up game. Of course, you can create your own maps for fun.

You only need one power source and Hydro is the most healthy. However, coal plants come earlier and you may want them in your high production cities fast. 3 Gorges Dam can be built in a city on a river and the nice thing is that it powers all cities on the same land mass. Those cities don't need to build a plant. It's a very expensive wonder, but if you have a bunch of cities on one big land mass the hammers pay off. If your empire is small though, the investement is probably not worth it.

8. trevi2

trevi2 Chieftain

Thanks all.

9. xenex

xenex Prince

Thats one of the things that there is in CTP2 ( dunno if its in 1 too) that I really wish was in Civ.being able to improve the land to a better land with workers
    ice>tundra>plains
    desert>plains>grassland

10. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Deity

Welcome to the forums!:band:

1. Only if you use worldbuilder (which is generally regarded as slightly cheating, but hey, it's single player)
    2. Hoover Dam was terrific wonder in Civ3. Three Gorges in Civ4 generally isn't worth building because it comes so late. If you have the health and coal, coal plants are good and the earliest. Without pollution you won't have cleanup driving you crazy.
    3. Similar to Fish, Crabs and Clams. Build workboat and move to resource. Option comes up to gain the resource. Consumes workboat. Oil only accessible at Plastics, others with Fishing.
    4. No, military isn't that hard. However, a lot like to build with minimal military. Siege is key - after very early rush you need Siege or Bombers in very late game. Diplo very different from 3 - you can't just give 100 gold to everybody and get voted in. Civ's votes depend on population - when you get very large you can just vote yourself in even if everybody hates you.