New Fictional Civ

Jarula

King
I'm trying to make a fictional civ wondering if anyone would like to help.

CBP compatible

Based loselly on Eradonia and Stalin, Hoxha etc...

leader man of steel
ability basically like a progress type thing relating to culture and production

Buildings
Factory replacement without coal
Stock exchange that yields smaller yields of culture, gold, science, and production

More metals? Yes.

Greater production of infrastructure. More. Always greater.

Dynamism. Multiplicity. Extensiveness.

If you want that compatible with Vox Populi you must set three uniques:
Unique Ability, Unique Unit, and Unique Building/Improvement. Also, they need to be balanced as a whole.
Unique Units shouldn't come later than Modern Age, since many games are finished by that date. Maybe you could use a Field Gun replacement, as I think there's no unique unit already with that role.

If you want your civ to focus on wide playing, then an unique improvement works best. I think there are no unique mines/quarries yet. Maybe a mine that can be placed without hills?

The Unique Ability should be something that makes you want to do things differently.

Basically Leader trait:
Leader The Great Leader

Every time a tech is researched gain 5 culture, 5 gold, and 5 production in each city, like progress tree and factories cost 0 coal

Unique building: Stock exchange replacement
Workers Council
+1 Gold +10%
+1 culture +10%
+1 Science +10%
+1 production +10%

Unique Unit: Commissar
Great Merchant replacement founds towns that add less gold more production and food.

Basically Leader trait:
Leader The Great Leader

Every time a tech is researched gain 5 culture, 5 gold, and 5 production in each city, like progress tree and factories cost 0 coal

Unique building: Stock exchange replacement
Workers Council
+1 Gold +10%
+1 culture +10%
+1 Science +10%
+1 production +10%

Unique Unit: Commissar
Great Merchant replacement founds towns that add less gold more production and food.
Workers Council is overpowered, in my opinion.
Unique Ability is fine, but is very similar to Ethiopia's.
Which unit is replacing the Commissar, and what effects, buffs does it have?

Commissar is replacing great merchant.
has the ability to write a political treatise, and can plop down to create a unique improvement yielding food, production, gold basically like a colonia for venice but less gold more production.

how about a rework of workers council something like 1 for 3 gold instead of 1 for 2 and 1 for 4 pop for the other ones?

Havent started yet.

Last edited:
Commissar is replacing great merchant.
has the ability to write a political treatise, and can plop down to create a unique improvement yielding food, production, gold basically like a colonia for venice but less gold more production.

how about a rework of workers council something like 1 for 3 gold instead of 1 for 2 and 1 for 4 pop for the other ones?
There's already a Merchant of Venice as a merchant replacement. You may chose Great Engineer instead, fits better.

Workers council may work better. You might want to increase or decrease yields to balance it, but you will need field experience. It's quite difficult to find the sweet spot without actual gameplay.

How about making this worker's council improvement-related, since, y'know, workers make those.
Finishing an improvement grants 10 :c5gold: and :c5production: in the city it is built, scaling with era and game speed. Half of those yields if repairing an improvement.
I wouldn't know how to implement this, to be clear--
Dunno how balanced the amount of yields would be, but I think it'd have good synergy (probably OP?) with a wide, progress-oriented civ. It could help conquest too, pillaging the enemy for the gold, then repairing a conquered city's lands to help it recover faster than normal.

How about making this worker's council improvement-related, since, y'know, workers make those.
Finishing an improvement grants 10 :c5gold: and :c5production: in the city it is built, scaling with era and game speed. Half of those yields if repairing an improvement.
I wouldn't know how to implement this, to be clear--
Dunno how balanced the amount of yields would be, but I think it'd have good synergy (probably OP?) with a wide, progress-oriented civ. It could help conquest too, pillaging the enemy for the gold, then repairing a conquered city's lands to help it recover faster than normal.

That's interesting. I think you need to learn LUA for this, though.

Never made a mod before that ability would work fine for a UA but for a late game stock exchange replacement... not too many improvements made at that point in time. If you're playing marathon than every workable tile has already been improved.

Actually for a UA +10 culture, gold and production per improved tile could be almost fair...?

I do think I'd need someone like Gazebo to critique the balance. Who worked on the CBP of course because I really don't know what is too OP.

Last edited:
Considering that I made most of the civilization compatible for Vox Populi with little critics from the community, I'm surprised he didn't ask what is OP, but instead ask Gazebo.

You're pretty unorganized in your thoughts, but based on what I've gathered from the forum thread.

This is how I would balance the civ:
UA: Improving a tile grants 10 random yields of Culture, Gold, and Science scaling upon era. Workers of this civilization cannot be captured/freed.
UB: Worker's Council (Council Replacement): In addition to providing +1 science, it also provides +1 Production and a free worker when constructed.
UU: Commissar (???): ? ?

Last edited:
Actually great to get ahold of you. You see the thing with what I'm going to try to do I know for example your Vietnam can easily become superpowered with a exclusive prioritization of Tradition, Honor, and progress.

I really can't decide on what would be less unfair. A buff like he said earlier regarding per improvement or 5 culture production and gold per tech per city scaling per era on a tech? Which one do you think would be better?

Actually great to get ahold of you. You see the thing with what I'm going to try to do I know for example your Vietnam can easily become superpowered with a exclusive prioritization of Tradition, Honor, and progress.

I really can't decide on what would be less unfair. A buff like he said earlier regarding per improvement or 5 culture production and gold per tech per city scaling per era on a tech? Which one do you think would be better?
Yeah that's what I intended for Vietnam's unique role to be in CBP as being able to pursue any ancient social policy trees and receiving the old "traditional" Vietnam playstyle as often civilizations would be a lack of happiness if they didn't pursue medieval policy trees and late game yields if they didn't pursue industrial policies. With Vietnam's UA, it's possible to get +60% Food and +60% Culture which is surprisingly historical.

As for your UA, if you went for the second idea that would mean this civilization would be progressively based whereas every civilization's UA is supposed to work with any social policies. (Authority Venice is really effective when surprisingly you would think Tradition Venice).

Overall I take forever to make compatible civilizations from suggestions because I have a week-long game that I want to finish or I haven't chosen a strong role for that civilization. (Leuig's Israel is getting a Crusader UA where their missionaries and inquisitors are Great Generals and Admirals copies allowing them to use their GG for citadels which energizes with their UU because their unit earns faith upon kill allowing for more religious units to come out and provide great general aura while the UI in the later eras acts as a village buffer that grants village tiles a huge amount of yields)

Oh no actually I'm gonna try to make this myself. The yield of +5 culture, gold, and production when a tech is researched scaled with era might be best because it plays for large empires. what I was going for was a civ playstyle that rewards a expand and advance approach. If I could in order to balance it create a negative like for example coding for an increase in boredom or would that work?

Going to be super hard considering it is my first attempt at modding.

Oh by the way your ideology mod sounds awesome. I know on steam there is a fundamentalism policy block it would be super cool if there was a mod to add that. (it gets super lame when all the civs on a huge map choose order. And its like for marathon games the second ideologies are chosen they wind up flipping.

Last edited:
Oh no actually I'm gonna try to make this myself. The yield of +5 culture, gold, and production when a tech is researched scaled with era might be best because it plays for large empires. what I was going for was a civ playstyle that rewards a expand and advance approach. If I could in order to balance it create a negative like for example coding for an increase in boredom or would that work?

Going to be super hard considering it is my first attempt at modding.

Oh by the way your ideology mod sounds awesome. I know on steam there is a fundamentalism policy block it would be super cool if there was a mod to add that. (it gets super lame when all the civs on a huge map choose order. And its like for marathon games the second ideologies are chosen they wind up flipping.
I mean scaled with era? The UA will provide +25 Culture, +25 Gold, and +25 Production when researching a tech in the renaissance era. Unless you're using Lua to modify the Scaling with Era, that seems very little considering you're trying to promote a wide playstyle(science cost and policy cost increases!).

And yeah my ideology mod sounds fantastic. I just need more data to find the correct setting that allows a dictatorship/republic/aristocracy to rise. (Right now I'm encountering the Tragedy of the Yields where the given bonuses from these respective parties actually counteract their platform to gain support (Dictatorship has a higher CS in all cities which reduces crime which ironically causes a dictatorship to rise up in the first place)

UB: Worker's Council (Council Replacement): In addition to providing +1 science, it also provides +1 Production and a free worker when constructed
This is surprisingly powerful. A free worker in every starting city, and a free extra hammer, in a cheap and free maintenance building, available on turn 12. It allows to expand like crazy, even with Tradition. And I remember that the original idea, replacing the Stock Exchange, conflicts with the Hansa (Germany). Do you mean free produced, or free maintainance?

UA: Improving a tile grants 10 random yields of Culture, Gold, and Science scaling upon era. Workers of this civilization cannot be captured/freed.
I don't fully understand. Does it give 10 gold, culture and science? Does it give 10 gold or 10 culture or 10 science? Does it give X gold, Y culture and Z science, where X+Y+Z = 10?
The invincible worker, added to the early free worker, so you have them and don't care about barbs. Nice.

The Commisar could be a Great Engineer replacement, when expended to rush a building, it may yield 25% of its hammers in every city with a Factory. Useful only in Industrial, where you may build it with faith. Maybe not as good as the other uniques, but hey, the workers thing is already powerful. It goes well with Tradition (faith purchase GE), and with large sized empires (coal for the factories).

This is surprisingly powerful. A free worker in every starting city, and a free extra hammer, in a cheap and free maintenance building, available on turn 12. It allows to expand like crazy, even with Tradition. And I remember that the original idea, replacing the Stock Exchange, conflicts with the Hansa (Germany). Do you mean free produced, or free maintainance?
That's the point. Workers are destroyed upon capture while promoting this unique style of improving "everything"

I don't fully understand. Does it give 10 gold, culture and science? Does it give 10 gold or 10 culture or 10 science? Does it give X gold, Y culture and Z science, where X+Y+Z = 10?
The invincible worker, added to the early free worker, so you have them and don't care about barbs. Nice.
It has a 1/3 chance of giving +10 Gold/Culture/Science per tile that recently got improved scaling upon era.

Top Bottom