1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Firaxis BE blog "Systematic Destiny"

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by SupremacyKing2, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Lord Tirian

Lord Tirian Erratic Poster

Yeah, I really like the "twist" and the implicit world building with the genetically locked computers here. Turned it from "interesting world setup" (my opinion/post above) to making me actually interested in seeing how this turns out!

Still on the short side compared to SMAC's "Journey to Centauri" story back then (which, arguably, would be too long to work nicely in blog posts these days), but I really like where this is going. :)

2. beestar

beestar subdeity

Definitely agree - with the tent, the old man, and the younger man

3. Verrucosus

Verrucosus Warlord

I always felt that the old man in the Civ5 intro started playing Civ4 the moment the young guy was out of the tent.

4. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

Now I wonder why the computers needed a genetic code-lock.

5. groorg1

groorg1 Chieftain

6. Lord Tirian

Huh, Civ:BE interest really has waned over the last few weeks, hasn't it?

Anyway, still liking the story, it's starting to find its tone and voice but I can't help but think that the slow trickle release is kind of hurting it, it'll probably read a bit better once it's complete.

7. Gort

Gort Emperor

Not really, it's been pretty much dead and decomposing since February. Here's a graph of player numbers - Beyond Earth in green, Civ 5 in blue.

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      21.2 KB
      Views:
  8. Barathor

Barathor Emperor

The latest one is very enlightening; I learned some cool things from it. Just like Civ taught me some history all these years, Beyond Earth is giving me a nice taste of science. :D

- - - - - -

Haha, dead and decomposing -- I like it! Hopefully, Will and David are necromancers.

9. calad

calad Emperor

This forum has also become close to dead zone. On this month only nine threads have been active and even hardcore fans dont bother to defend this game. What is the most sad for me that civ series is very likely spoiled from this point on. I cant imagine that firaxis can make a good civ6 game after this botch.

10. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

People defend what they want to defend.

Of course, there's little point if the people they're debating with are never going to change their minds. Not bothering with people who don't want to change their opinion isn't the same as not bothering in general.

Everyone's allowed their perspective. I just wish the people that didn't like the game, or don't want to like the game as it is now would leave the place alone. Would make for a more progressive environment for debate. We don't need people going "this game is bad" or "this game is great". What we have at this point are people discussing aspects they want to improve, and aspects they think are satisfactory.

With a bit of lore discussion thrown in, like in this thread :)

11. Gort

Gort Emperor

Yeah, I'd say this is my worry as well. There's nothing to show that Firaxis can actually put out a Civ 5-beater at this point, their game design skills don't appear to be up to it.

12. Doviello

Doviello Warlord

Posted on reddit 12h ago:

Maybe 2.0 is being playtested?

13. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

Something seem to have changed? Previous time I played (somewhere in April I think), there was still a red symbol on the UI top bar if you went over the unit supply limit. Now it doesn't, and there's no production penalty if you're over the limit?

14. Lord Tirian

The problem is also that it's a very multi-faceted problem. It isn't just about a Civ5 beater (and I'd argue that Civ5 and Civ:BE with their different themes scratch somewhat different itches), but also whether they can deliver on the promises, meaning:
    • It needs to actually paint the picture of a new world, the Systematic Destiny entries are nice but we'd need vignettes like that for every jump in affinity
    • Have some unique gameplay, it doesn't need to beat Civ5 in the same way Endless Legend doesn't beat Civ5 but is still worthwhile
    • They need to add content - I want to come back for 2.0, but it needs to bring something fresh, not just Civ:BE re-arranged, there must be something to explore.
    • Need to have something that compares to the spectre of SMAC

It's a daunting task.

Back to the topic itself: Part 4 is up

Much like last week, the snippets are short and a bit too narrow but not only does it continue to have its own voice, I actually now get the vibe that post-Mistake Earth is its own place, not just "our Earth but a bit later", it's starting to feel foreign: the act of cloning isn't treated as new, novel or strange and not understood - but rather as a crime, suggesting that illegal cloning is somewhat commonplace.

15. jackal1234

jackal1234 Chieftain

i haven't played it in months myself, but the new storyline (read all at once today) seems pretty interesting. im optimistic that they can do more (especially if there's at least one dedicated programmer working on the reboot)... :thumbsup:

16. GenyaArikado

GenyaArikado Judge of Love

So cloning exists. I guess that finally answers Kavitha's existance.

17. groorg1

groorg1 Chieftain

18. iki

iki Warlord

Huh that was kinda an odd ending.... I liked it though.

19. Halbbruder

Halbbruder Prince

In that she claims to be 400 years old? It sure does.

20. groorg1

groorg1 Chieftain

Glad you enjoyed it! It was fun to work on as a collaboration, and even though the six parts have very different emphasis, I think it works well as a collective story, and it tackles some of the logistics of Beyond Earth (and Rising Tide).

I love thinking about alien worlds. There's a great vintage postcard set for the Solar System that came out a few weeks ago:

http://www.linkza.net/daily/science...osters-reveal-colonised-solar-Earth-ruin.html

Joel