New Firaxis tweet about turkey/Byzantium

Both Byzantine Empire and Ottoman Empire are in Civ5 and today is May 29 ... so the tweet may have no further meaning at all.

Oh great tweet lovely Firaxis. If you give us Ottomans, especially Mehmed II, that'd be just perfect.

Give us Devlet-i Ebed-Müddet The Eternal State!

Ottomans FTW!

On one hand, the tweet means nothing except that it's May 29th and Civilization is simply a game about history in which the Ottomans and Byzantines are both playable.

On the other hand, it would be great to see Ottomans in the base game for Civ VI. Byzantines probably wont be in the base game, though. In the Civilization games, they usually never are.

On one hand, the tweet means nothing except that it's May 29th and Civilization is simply a game about history in which the Ottomans and Byzantines are both playable.
Civilization isn't quite a game about history, so I'd assume there's more to that tweet than a simple great event anniversary reminder.

On the other hand, it would be great to see Ottomans in the base game for Civ VI. Byzantines probably wont be in the base game, though. In the Civilization games, they usually never are.

They shouldn't even be a playable civ in the first place... but that's another story.

They shouldn't even be a playable civ in the first place... but that's another story.

Wait, who shouldn't be playable, Byzantium? or Ottomans? Because if it's Byzantium you're referring to, yeah, I agree.

Civilization isn't quite a game about history, so I'd assume there's more to that tweet than a simple great event anniversary reminder.

One of the most interesting empires in history that made a number of very important contributions to the world and an empire that lasted well over 1,000 years but they shouldn't be in the game? :crazyeye:

One of the most interesting empires in history that made a number of very important contributions to the world and an empire that lasted well over 1,000 years but they shouldn't be in the game? :crazyeye:

Byzantium was basically a continuation of Rome. In fact, it essentially WAS Rome, just the parts of it that weren't conquered by "barbarians", and that's how the people living in Byzantium saw themselves - as Roman.

I personally can tolerate Firaxis having a separate Byzantine civilization, It's just that the decision to do so always strikes me as very odd at best and ahistorical at worst...

That's just my opinion, though... :dunno:

Maybe I'm reading too far into that picture, but that is a mighty big cannon (UU)?

Byzantium was basically a continuation of Rome. In fact, it essentially WAS Rome, just the parts of it that weren't conquered by "barbarians", and that's how the people living in Byzantium saw themselves - as Roman.

I personally can tolerate Firaxis having a separate Byzantine civilization, It's just that the decision to do so always strikes me as very odd at best and ahistorical at worst...

That's just my opinion, though... :dunno:

Ahistorical? Has Civ ever been historical? --> :spear:

They may have seen themselves as a continuation of the Roman Empire but they were an entirely different entity. Lots of empires saw themselves as a continuation of Rome but that was more a matter of prestige or to legitimize their empire. Consider the title Czar or the Sultunate of Rum? How about the country Romania?

Byzantium, of course.

But Brazil has to be? :lol::lol::lol:

Seriously, they have gotten too far with their inclusion of "civilizations" for the sake of market penetration. I can accept it, but barely, and if you ask me, I would say go back to the roots and only include states or societies that had a minimum impact in history. I can easily make a list of civs that should not be there according to that parameter, but I will not for the sake of keeping this thread away from a spam war.

But saying Byzantium should not be there, is a little too much...

Anyway, if the Ottomans are in, that's great. :)

Well, that is unless they are not ancient enough for some. ;)

Having both Byzantium and Rome is the same as having the HRE and Germany, but people for some reason hate the latter because Romans kept good records and won wars so history tells lots of their stories. The Ottomans, however, are a unique civilization with an extensive impact on history worldwide, and they have lots of usable uniques and leaders.

I hope the Ottomans under Mehmet are confirmed.

Anyway, if the Ottomans are in, that's great. :)

Well, that is unless they are not ancient enough for some. ;)

Yes, Ottomans were not ancient but had great impact in the world. You can't tell history of europe without Ottomans. Actually, history of europe during Ottoman era was like history of Ottomans and a few useless kingdoms lol.

Even the streets of france cleared from enemy by Ottomans during Suleiman the Magnificent. Especially his letter to king of france killed me. He calls him king of the province of france :D

Btw, this is letter of Sultan

"I who am the Sultan of Sultans, the sovereign of sovereigns, the dispenser of crowns to the monarchs on the face of the earth, the shadow of the God on Earth, the Sultan and sovereign lord of the Mediterranean Sea and of the Black Sea, of Rumelia and of Anatolia, of Karamania, of the land of Romans, of Dhulkadria, of Diyarbakir, of Kurdistan, of Azerbaijan, of Persia, of Damascus, of Aleppo, of Cairo, of Mecca, of Medina, of Jerusalem, of all Arabia, of Yemen and of many other lands which my noble fore-fathers and my glorious ancestors (may God light up their tombs!) conquered by the force of their arms and which my August Majesty has made subject to my flamboyant sword and my victorious blade, I, Sultan Suleiman Khan, son of Sultan Selim Khan, son of Sultan Bayezid Khan: To thee who art Francesco, king of the province of France... You have sent to my Porte, refuge of sovereigns, a letter by the hand of your faithful servant Frangipani, and you have furthermore entrusted to him miscellaneous verbal communications. You have informed me that the enemy has overrun your country and that you are at present in prison and a captive, and you have asked aid and succors for your deliverance. All this your saying having been set forth at the foot of my throne, which controls the world. Your situation has gained my imperial understanding in every detail, and I have considered all of it. There is nothing astonishing in emperors being defeated and made captive. Take courage then, and be not dismayed. Our glorious predecessors and our illustrious ancestors (may God light up their tombs!) have never ceased to make war to repel the foe and conquer his lands. We ourselves have followed in their footsteps, and have at all times conquered provinces and citadels of great strength and difficult of approach. Night and day our horse is saddled and our saber is girt. May the God on High promote righteousness! May whatsoever He will be accomplished! For the rest, question your ambassador and be informed. Know that it will be as said. (...)"

While I agree they were basically a continuation of Rome, I was under the impression they viewed themselves as Greek successors (but still called themselves the Roman empire), hence why historians have retroactively named their state "Byzantium".

Fortunately, the time period had changed so drastically between Ancient Rome and Byzantium that, in gameplay terms, you can have them as two separate civs.

That being said, the Ottomans should definitely be in over the Byzantines, and if they care about TSL enough to mention it in an interview, I highly suspect we won't get both in the base game when they could be spending time on another region of the world map.

Top Bottom