Master of Mana - Download

Sigh, it's 6 hours for me :( Only two more hours to go :p I got 467 MB, is it right?

My downloaded file has 466 MB, on www.masterofmana.com in the downloadsector there are 480 MB mentioned. Mine works fine, but I'll download the mirror again. Because I'm a computernobrainer: can someone explain me why a mirror-download is so much faster than the other one? :blush:

Greez,

Tschuggi

esvath: pretty sure it is, yeah.

tschuggi: don't download again. double click the .exe , if it works then it means it downloaded fine.

also the mirror is not fasterl, it just depends on how many people are downloading at the same time. they are both bloody fast if you're lucky, I got about 1MB per sec on my second try. first try aborted halfway through while I was asleep :lol:

Alrighttt!! Any recommendation on difficulty setting? Is higher than monarch still preferable?

Alrighttt!! Any recommendation on difficulty setting? Is higher than monarch still preferable?

Normally I play immortal with increasing difficulty, but atm you get outteched pretty fast, so I begin on monarch with increasing difficulty, so at the beginning you will pretty sure be first, but after a while, when arrived at deity, AI kicks your ass pretty fast - but the fun way, because it's beautyful to the an intelligent AI that wants to kick your ass. All depends on your primary settings. If you normally play monarch it makes sense to begin two levels below, just to get used to the changes.

Enjoy it:D

First impressions:
- It runs, yay.:goodjob:
- About 180 turns in, no crash.
- BUG-fail-to-initialize-entry on turn zero, but game runs. :D
- Cannot build Library.
- Playing Ljos, Jurla, small map, lots of crazy challenges, btw. No Settler option appears to be AWOL.
- Started near three Barb cities, been DOW'ed by Khazad mole-molesters and Bannor incense-junkies resulting in almost constant enemy troop presence in my terretorries.
Nevertheless I was able to defend my city and am now in the process of clearing-out my guests. The ai sends a constant stream of Warriors, later SoKils in case of the Dwarwes, Warriors, Host of Somethings, Demagogs, Clerics and Flagbearers in the case of the Bannor. I not only survived but have only lost one Hunter in the process, also Evermore is now size 12.
My conclusion: Food is way to plentiful for the ai's swarm and pillage to work. The fighting in the meanwhile has spawned for me four Battle Commanders which is maybe a bit much, also, could you make them joinable? I dread a RifE-chain-of-command like micro-management apocalypse approaching.
-Global Enchantments, how could we ever do without?
- Magic System, looks interesting, but no opinion yet.
Sorry for my disorganized style, I am still collecting my impressions and had to tend to the RL snow-front.
Overall::goodjob:

Edit:
- I could build libraries once I researched writing, I thought I had gotten it via a Great Sage, hmm.
- When I finally stormed the Bannor's capital, I had my first MAF.
- Infrastructure costs, nifty.

Tried playing faeries.
When worker finished building second mine, both new and old one disappeared. Is it a bug?

Also, it's kind of strange, that tiny flying blue girls are warriors, while big walking ones are scouts. And both don't seem to have some kind of flying or forestwalking or something.

OMG, no +50% hammers for God King. Whatever will the Scions do? :cry:

:)

This is my first real look at the new Wildmana, and it looks good!

I'm curious to see how Faith (is that what bonus GK does give a +50% bonus for) will be handled with Agnostic civs. Or at least if the Scions under the R.E. get capital F-faith or not. A simpler boost to the Priest units, or something like that, might be better.

Kylorin Cult: What sort of mana benefits can buildings give? The Cult is a bunch of mage wannabes. I think less culture but a mana/magic benefit - still mitigated by some disadvantage - would be appropriate.
EDIT: Found MANA_Civ4BuildingsInfos. (Trying only +1 culture, but +1 spell research. Though I wonder if +1 spell research is actually more valuable than +1 mana...?)

So it is out. Master of Mañana no longer.

Ho ho ho.

Sephi:

In addition to pestering supplying suggestions like the Kylorin Cult thing above, I also anticipate a number of Scion-only problems that aren't so much bugs as pending adaptation issues. For example: the Keep's "Study and Calcification" system is all promos eliminated from MoM.

I could post anything like that in the bug report forum. But I was thinking it might be more useful to save the bug forum for "real" bugs. Instead I'd start a "MoM Scions" thread elsewhere at the new site and put the Scion suggestions and adaptation notes together.

Yes/no?

Okay, I didn't expect this!

I thought:
Nice, a new version of Wildmana with a new name (who cares...).
Let's just download it and give it a try. :mischief:

I then started the game (nice intro screen btw) to check out the changes...

And then:
- New magic research and spell screen
- Different spell types like summons and globals with crystal upkeep costs
- Chaos channels!!! (I haven't forgotten them!)
- A different resource and spell system
- More intuitive research order

I then thought:
WTH is that? It could be either FFH3 or MoM2.
Or something inbetween called Master of Mana.
Well I have to admit, the name change seems to be well deserved.
If this mod is only half as good as it looks, then it's probably the greatest fantasy TBS game at the moment. :eek: (And I mean it!)

Don't know yet if everything is working as it should, but this is really HUGE!
(I have to inform my friends immediately about that...)

Ah btw, the texts in the religion screen overlap.

Very interesting so far.

My first game I suffered a nasty warrior rush from my Ljosalfar neighbors. Plenty of forest on the map in the early game, so the Elves are tough. I was playing as the Amurites, and they're not especially powerful in the early game. Barely held them off, although they did pillage many of my improvements. Eventually I got the "Great Mediator" event and forced peace. Thessa out-teched me, though, and invaded later with a more advanced military. I held out for a bit, but knew I was going to lose so I decided to quit and try again.

Currently in my second game, playing as the Balseraphs, immediate neighbors are the Illians. We'll see how it goes.

Still haven't completely figured out the new improvement system, but having fun exploring it. Same with the new magic system and magic research.

One small thing I noticed is that there's no turn counter in the upper right-hand corner of the screen. Makes it a bit difficult to know how far along in the game you are.

More later. Very nice job, meanwhile.

Well, after playing a bit more, I'd like to suggest that the 'pedia provide a more thorough explanation of the new improvement system. I did look at the thread on this forum on that topic, but I understand that the system's been changed since that thread started.

Basically, it wasn't clear to me as I was playing why I was able to build certain improvements but not others. Among other things, there were many instances where I could only build a cottage on a particular tile (other improvements were grayed out), but once I'd built the cottage I had the option of replacing it with a different improvement (plantation, pasture, etc.) -- I don't know if that's intended or not.

It's also not clear what it means in the city screen when it says in red letters "the city must build [xyz] improvements" (or something like that, I don't remember the exact text).

I remember from the other thread that you wanted to get rid of cottage spam with the new system. Maybe I haven't gotten the hang of it yet -- I'm only in my second game -- but it did make it difficult to sustain a decent economy: I got hammered especially hard when the Blight hit.

Maybe you could consider balancing the elimination of cottage spam by reducing inflation a bit? I know Kael already reduced it in base FfH compared to BtS, but in base FfH we could still cottage spam.

Also, I remember that there was a bug in base FfH that caused the Blight to be twice as severe as it was supposed to be, which was fixed in one of the patches. The Blight in MoM (and before that in WM) seemed unusually severe. Is it possible that that flawed code was carried over from FfH into WM and not fixed?

Please don't misunderstand or be offended, I certainly appreciate all the work you've put into this on your own time, and I'm finding the mod really interesting and a lot of fun. It's just that a bit more clarity on some of the new features would be helpful.

Thanks.

Nor'easter:
the new improvement system works via improvement maintenance. each city can only support a specific amount of improvements, if you go beyhond that you have to pay upkeep.
You can easiliy see if a city can support additional improvements by looking at the city bar on the main map there are some hammers displayed. if you want more information open the city menu and mouse over the improvement maintenance in top left.

since we did not want beginners to wreck their economies, because they did not know or care about the improvement maintenance we introduced a cap, so you can not build too much improvement for which you have to pay upkeep. what probably happened is that your civilization has the cottage as a favored improvements, meaning you can support twice as many. you have reached the cap and could still build one cottage but no other improvement, however you can replace already existing improvements with other ones, so there is a way to circumvent this cap although it is not adviced because it will probably ruin your economy.

for starters:
-look at your cities and if the little hammer symbol is there, build improvements until it is gone
for advanced players:
-look in your city screen how much maintenance you pay and build improvements accordingly

i think sephi put a little manual in the download, but i am not so sure, did you read it?

@tesb:

Thanks for the explanation. I'm sure I'll develop a better feel for the system the more I play.

In answer to your question, I didn't see a manual as part of the download. FYI, on the Master of Mana website it says that the manual is still in the works.

Getting a CtD at the end of this turn. Just hit "enter."

thanks for uploading the savegame. this is fixed in Patch 1.01 (doesn't break saves, so you can continue your game)

you are better off to post them in the new forum in the bug section. The chance that something get lost is a lot lower there.

So is there no forum on civfanatics? I think there'd be much more participation if you can do that...

Top Bottom