1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Found Appreciation For Thieves and Rogues

Discussion in 'Strategy and tips' started by IdioticUlt1mara, Mar 14, 2018.

1. IdioticUlt1mara

IdioticUlt1mara Prince

So in my current livestream/Let's Play I am playing as Boudica and because she gets so many bonuses towards criminal units I though "what the heck lets try this kind of build out" and you know what Rogues/Thieves/Exiles running around in the early game pillaging the AI improvements, or just straight up "trade missions" makes so much money it is not even funny. I think some turns I am making well over 500gpt just through pillaging AND it slows down the AI a lot too - what makes it even more fun is when the AI decides to put workers in places you just pillage = science plus gold whenever they are killed ^^

2. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Yeah T-brd had much fun when he developed the bad boys. Sometimes I think too much fun. :p

3. Noriad2

Noriad2 Emperor

Pillage is too easy with fast Rogues. They can move 4 squares, regardless of terrain. You hide in the AI civ's city, move, pillage, move back to the enemy city. Even if he has dogs and plenty of other units he cannot stop you. Except by fortifying on an improvement (but maybe stay-the-hand solves that).
    Plus pillaging gives way too much money - up to 130 money for a single mine.

It is by the way possible to build mines and quarries outside of your borders. I'm going to try using a stack of a few workers on a hill in neutral land, guarded by a military unit, and repeatedly build a mine and immediately pillage it with the military unit. See if that is a lucrative exploit.

4. IdioticUlt1mara

IdioticUlt1mara Prince

@Noriad2 that is exactly what I was doing. However I have "Ancient Way Of The Shadows" which makes my rogues strength 5 so they are not half bad at killing enemy units as well - also if you have "stay-the-hand" on I believe you cannot pillage

5. Noriad2

Noriad2 Emperor

You can turn stay-the-hand on and off as many times as you like.
    A more effective way to nerve this would be to make pillage impossible if you are on quick march.

6. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

More Swiss cheese exploits.......gah!

And Noriad2 it's nerf not nerve. ;)

7. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

It might not be very easy to enforce such a rule, but making quick march unavailable to criminals is probably a good idea. They're too lazy by nature for that anyhow. It's funny the differences in perception here. Even as much as y'all are able to make with this pillaging, I have a hard time feeling it's worth messing with. Maybe I haven't played a game where I've been challenged in regards to gold enough.

Another rule that would help to deny exploitation here would be to give no gold for razing improvements that are in neutral territory. It's basically the way we show the money you get from theft and burglary and if the site isn't active, nobody would have any valuables there to take. Not enough at least.

8. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

If they aren't able to catch you in the city and arrest you now and then, the balance may need to be either shifted or an AI problem needs to be addressed. This really shouldn't be so easy to hide out in a city without potentially being discovered and arrested.

9. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

Pillaging should imo cost all movement points.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  10. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Back before forced march, it was something to earn to be able to get your criminals to be able to move out, pillage and move back into the city. With Hide and Seek it's not an automatic death sentence for the criminal units to be caught just outside a city but it is if you're not playing with that option. Certainly it's never worth razing if it always means you will die.

11. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

Perhaps not, what I would really prefer is that movement promotions were fewer and harder to get, but I didn't mention it as I thought it would be a less popular suggestion.

12. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

It's worth some discussion with proposals and counterproposals. I'm finding that the status ones are a bit disruptive at times and may need to be better controlled. It's almost impossible to get the AI to use them anywhere near as effectively as the human player too so it becomes a human cheat almost.

13. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

In the "My take on stuff" modmod I made the quick march (+2 MP) require Drill I promotion.
    I also removed the horseback specific quick march that gives +3 MP. I found it too disruptive.

The forced march (+1 MP) I made require Combat I or Survival I promos.
    Survival I doesn't exist in C2C though, modmod only.

14. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I wouldn't be against all that, but I'd still like to see criminals lose access in all situations.

We should probably post this suggestion in the main forum somewhere.

15. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

Another thing I did was make all criminal units respect terrain/feature movement penalties.

16. IdioticUlt1mara

IdioticUlt1mara Prince

I think "stay-the-hand" should remove all movement points if you turn it off.

17. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Problem is I need them to be able to get into cities before they get seen and caught and the closer they get, the easier that becomes. Again, being seen just outside the city is a death sentence.
    This would greatly frustrate players using wanderers to have to waste the first round. It would be tough to find a way to keep them from having it on by default - maybe.