1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

new game concept. . . battle lines!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by saml00, Nov 21, 2005.

1. saml00

saml00 Chieftain

I think that after you declare war on someone a battle line type are of control should appear ala the cultural borders. and your lines would sort of be dictated by where your troops were and when defending any nearby troops would be considered to be under attack when an enemy tried to breach the battle line and enter your zone of control, certain units (special forces etc would be immune to this and could be used to carry out missions "behind enemy lines" as would aircraft). This would make warring way more realistic and fun I think.

2. Bacchus97

Bacchus97 Chieftain

Excellent idea...and when peace is make, the new cultural boundary will be where your military has pushed the line forward.

3. Psyringe

Psyringe Scout

While the OP's concept won't be easy to implement, you could make front lines changing cultural borders by having militry untis automatically influencing an enemy tile's accumulated culture in war.

4. JadeDragon87

JadeDragon87 Chieftain

Not a bad idea at all. New units could be created,which like you said, could do missions behind enemy lines. Or there should be units (like privateers) which could do "illegal" missions during peace time. But I think it would be too complicated to deal with such units. :(

5. Wardie9

Wardie9 Chieftain

i like the idea of battle lines, however few problems may occur..

like if i got 4 units and surrounded an ememy city, the city would only have one sqaure of production, the one it is positioned on, and this could be easily taken advantage of to capture cities, by starvating them of food, commerce etc etc.

also it would make civ4 more a 'war' game, when war is only a part of a more complex game, and many peace players could easily get annoyed with it

however i really like the idea, and if fraxis or however could may include it somehow, and make it work, it would be ace!

6. The Condor

The Condor On an excellent adventure

You don't need "battle lines" to cut off a city's production. All you have to do is plop a unit during war in the square you don't want to be worked and instantly the enemy can't use it until either the enemy unit moves or it is destroyed. Note: this only works during war. During peace any unit can go on any working tile and not have it stop produciton.

7. Olie

Olie master of close up magic

This sounds like a pretty cool idea, it would be nice to be able to simply sieze a resource from your enemies instead of having fight a drawn out campaign for their nearest city to it.

I'm not so sure about cultural borders automatically remaining where where the battle lines were last drawn, even after peace is declared. Perhaps a new diplomacy option to 'return occupied territory' would balance this out a little.

8. BlueBomberDude

BlueBomberDude Chieftain

Fantastic idea saml00!

9. Osymandias

Osymandias Grand King of Apes

how about to give the fortress a culture boundary? i think it was in call to power II implemented and i used it properly to expand my border. but on the other hand, where did the fortresses get theyr culture from? ;) perhaps only the ground where its build belongs to your civ and you will get a zoc.
    btw: are there any suggestions on a zoc for the fortresses?

10. TheBB

TheBB Prince

It's called a siege, and has been a viable strategy for capturing cities since the invention of walls. I think it's about time we saw it in a Civ game.... the way it's really supposed to be. :)

11. kandalf

kandalf Warlord

You could create a new overlay which you could toggle on and off which would show "military borders". Military borders would have slightly different effects.

12. silverwolf

silverwolf Chieftain

Neat idea. Wonder how hard it would be to implement.

13. Schlomoe99

Schlomoe99 Trench Raider

Go to any well-established U.S base overseas and you'll find that it is a "little-America" in and of itself. They have food courts with Subway, Burger King, Taco Bell, etc, not to mention the Commissaries and Military Exchanges where all kinds of American Products are to be had. When I lived in Turkey there were many shops with signs in English around our local US base, hoping to make a few $US. I wouldn't say it does nearly as much as, say, a university would, but it does spread some culture nonetheless.

Perhaps culture could be spread by military units stationed (fortified, perhaps?) over time overseas. It's not unheard of, it was one of the reasons the French demanded we stop defending their soil in the 1950s. They were afraid of us improving their bloodline :lol:

14. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

I kind of like the idea! :)

No need to rush - sure there will be a way to implement it in the coming year

15. Osymandias

Osymandias Grand King of Apes

@schlomoe99
    ok, thats an argument. i havent thought to that. i think it will be also the same thing on the us-bases in germany but i havent visited or seen one by my self. but it would be a nice feature if you are a winner of a war and that you can decide to build and hold some forts in the remaining enemy territory and stationing some units on it. so you can build forts to see whats going on even if you have not an open border agreement, because it belongs to your country.