New game from Firaxis: Sid Meier's Spaceships

Apparently, Firaxis is trying to make X3. Let's see if it'll be another debacle as every time they make something that isn't Civilization.

Apparently, Firaxis is trying to make X3. Let's see if it'll be another debacle as every time they make something that isn't Civilization.

Err... you mean like the amazing XCOM? Firaxis can make good games that aren't Civ.

Edit: That said, this won't necessarily be one of them. The fact that it appears to be being developed for PC and tablets simultaneously is a huge red flag that it's probably going to be terrible.

PC, Mac, and iPad

Starships was developed by Meier and a small team at Firaxis.

This could be a pretty neat game and I hope it is, but I don't really trust anything which is developed directly by Sid Meier anymore, especially after that god awful and embarrassing CivWorld Facebook game he created.

It will be interesting to see some actual gameplay, but I fear it may be fun for a little while and then lack a lot of depth. Although it could be like Sid Meier's Ace Patrol but in space.

Might be interesting, but Maniacal is right. The inclusion of iPad is a bad sign.

/shrug

Just another "wait and see." Could be great, could be a total yawn.

Still haven't bought CivBE, and I haven't seen or read anything to make me change my mind yet.

ace patrol isn't really that fun, at least not on pc. Anything touch based for ipad usually lacks depth/controls and stinks.

Its fun for a battle or two at a time, it doesn't have a lot of depth and I am glad I got it in a bundle but its still kind of neat. Especially if you only have like 15 minutes to play a game or just want something simple, but I really wish it was better.

They're just announcing the game now, and planning to release in "early 2015"?

That's a short window.

A short window is fairly standard fare for Firaxis. They don’t release anything, then wham, a couple of months down the line and something new is coming out. They basically announce the game when its in its Beta mode.

Im not that bothered about IOS support. XCOM was either released with IOS support, or with IOS support in mind, and IMO XCOM is an excellent game that sits well across platforms, and there are not many games that can lay claim to that. Only trouble is that Firaxis needs to make sure that the game is complicated enough and interesting enough. Because most of their recent efforts have fallen below that mark (I would include XCOM in this appraisal). That’s to say nothing of the abomination of the facebook civ game (Like wtf).

I have thought for a number of years now that Firaxis have tended to ignore their core supporters. Unfortunately, it seems to be all at the whim of Sid Meier. Games companies work best when they are run by gamers. Not some messianic figurehead who pours money into what they think might be successful (Sid Meier and Gabe Newell take a bow). Sid might actually be part of the problem in Firaxis. They ought to remember the reasons that made them successful in the first place. If they could retain their accessibility and playability but increase their complexity in line with paradox games then they might be on to a winner. Otherwise I can see their title of “strategy kings” getting taken away from them by the likes of Paradox and Amplitude.

Beyond earth is, in my opinion, a failure. Its not a bad game, but it is rather poorly conceived, not really fun, and sort of adopts the Firaxis staple followed ever since civ 5, which was still only an 8/10 IMO even after all of the expansions. They ought to be bolder and inject some personality into their games IMO. BE was about as dull as it comes. Even XCOM lacked a sense of strategic story telling.

I will not be getting this on pre order. I am going to adopt a more wait and see approach on their titles after BE. Its like they ignored the community completely on BE and just did their own thing. The community were after something akin to SMAC, and what we got was a lifeless and pale imitation of it.

What does newell pour money into that hasn't taken off? All I really know are the valve titles and all of those are good, half life series, counter strike, left 4 dead series, dota 2, team fortress. All really popular and fun titles.

What does newell pour money into that hasn't taken off? All I really know are the valve titles and all of those are good, half life series, counter strike, left 4 dead series, dota 2, team fortress. All really popular and fun titles.

Well I would say Steambox. It might be fantastic, but it might flop. I think it will do ok, but I kind of think it’s a waste of money. They have also missed the boat a bit in terms of the next gen wars, although it was never really supposed to compete with them anyway. Their production costs surely must run into the hundreds of millions. Why not spend that money making games? The output of Valve, although in a general sense is exceptional, in terms of volume they are about the worst of the bunch. They are even hinting now that HL3 may never happen.

I agree I don't see a market for steambox cus people that are really that into it already hook their pc up to a tv and use big picture. You can also stream to the nividia shield for example. If I want a console I'll go buy a console, steam is for pc.

As far as volume though, I think we're just used to seeing EA and ubisoft as publishers of all sorts of games and expect that as a schedule even though tons of smaller studios and companies are the ones actually responsible for those games.

The developers I am most familiar with are Firaxis, Valve and irrational. Out of those 3, valve come a very poor third in terms of number of titles released. I believe their last title was Dota2 and before that portal 2, which is 2011 and 2013 respectively. We don’t know what they are working on at the moment. Although if you believe the rumor mill this includes L4D3 and even HL3. I have my doubts about the second one. Although I wouldn’t put it past them to release HL3 as the Launchpad for source 2.

The Steam OS is not going to make them money from the OS itself, since its free. I highly doubt that Valve expects tones of people to rush out and start using it, it is designed for HTPCs to provide more options for gamers. Valve isn't counting on attracting people to Steam using Steam OS so much as getting people who already have Steam who really want to game from their couch to buy more games. I doubt it has cost them hundreds of millions, but they have no shortage of money.

Its kind of like another feature for Steam. In-game streaming so you can view friend's playing games or even open it up to the public? Not that useful for most people, neither is in-home Streaming. All are useful to a number of people, and are just more features to provide more uses for Steam and playing & sharing games.

XCOM was either released with IOS support, or with IOS support in mind,

There is a big difference between a game like XCOM that could be well ported to the tablet a year after it came out and a game like Spaceships that is designed for the tablet and to be released on that when it first comes out.

Top Bottom