1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New game from Firaxis: Sid Meier's Spaceships

Discussion in 'Starships' started by Paideia, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Mutineer

Mutineer Deity

this targets are not contradictory. Even one who want immersion want to be able to employ more then one strategy. Dept..

2. Callonia

Callonia Deity

Why do the two AI players have their starships in hp range of 120+ while human player have their starship's hp range in 65?

3. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Chess didn't start off as a competitive game.

A lot of players seem to take Civ. games competitively.

4. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

The AI ships have more armor on them. Both AI ships have 3 armor while Sid's ships only have 1. Armor boosts hp points more than other modules. So basically, it just looks like Sid was not really emphasizing armor.

It is possible too that the AI gets more modules at the start on higher difficult levels.

5. Denkt

Denkt Left permamently

You get (30+10*T) HP for each armor module while other module gives 5 hp.

T = Xeno Material level

6. AcetyleneLamp

AcetyleneLamp Chieftain

7. DocRock

DocRock Prince

German site gamersglobal (for comparison: BE 80%, BNW: 90%) gave it 60%. It describes the game mostly of a flawed, easy mobile game that has in no way any depth like the usual Civ games. It's mainly the usual mobile crap for casual gamers.

8. CaptainPatch

CaptainPatch Lifelong gamer

This is starting to remind of how Firaxis took a beautiful game like Railroad Tycoon and dumbed it down to make Railroads! [Simulation empire-builder into beer-and-pretzels game.] If that's the case, I think I will be quickly regretting my rush to pre-order.

9. Callonia

Callonia Deity

Hmm thanks for the replies but still, those AI ships had 120 hp and the game just started. I didn't expect that huge hp difference.

10. rkade8583

rkade8583 Realism Invictus Player

I'm psyched for it. My worry is it's too dumbed down or it'll be too easy but I only paid $12 so if I dislike it, at least I didn't spend too much.

All this mobile talk... They made it for PC first and foremost (or so they said.)

11. Hail

Hail Satan's minion

Sid was playing on Hard.
    now if Sid did choose to play differently by buying 1 armor module and 1 level in Xenomaterials. it would be 120 hp vs 105 hp. he should have won the stealth fighter(s) mission.

btw, fighters are op. since lasers are long-range weapons, their damage will be cut by shields. fighters are fast and use cannons. since a spaceship can move after firing, speed is essential. a fighter is one less shot to your starship!

disagree. it's a mobile game ported to PC.

12. rkade8583

rkade8583 Realism Invictus Player

I'm just going by what they said in streams and videos. As I don't work for them, I can't know what the game was originally meant for. I was just posting what I'd heard and even qualified it with a disclaimer.

13. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

You don't know that, and no one but the devs can say for sure. It's possible to create a game with multiple platforms in mind simultaneously, you know.

14. kaltorak

kaltorak Emperor

Which is still bad for the platform who has less restrictions.

If I am doing a website for chrome, firefox and IE6 at the same time, I can guarantee you you will get a much worse chrome and firefox website then if I hadn't had IE6 on mind.

15. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

That's a bad example because you can insert code to handle IE6 fallbacks while coding the rest to maximise what a modern browser can handle.

Games don't work like that. While one set of code can't necessarily run across three operating systems, at least each operating system isn't constrained by the other two assuming parallel development pipelines.

Also, XCOM was released on the iPad. How often do I have to repeat this before someone picks up on it.

16. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

I don't find that an apt or fair comparison.

IMO, it's better to judge a game based on its own merits. Starships is a $15 light strategy game explicitly designed for short play sessions. Does it succeed in that? Is the game fun to play?

I think the let's plays and video previews have made it pretty clear what this game is about.

17. s0nny80y

s0nny80y Emperor

I've been playing world of tanks lately (freer russia!) featuring trickled down weapons, combar drones, number 3s, and satellite imagery and I think Starships should complement it nicely with the change in pace.

18. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

Less than 4 hours until the game is on available on steam.

19. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

With the cross-connectivity with BE, I think starships' strength will be as a mini "epilogue" to your BE game. BE is like the main course and Starships is like the desert. You play a BE game and when you win, you can enjoy a little starships game to wrap things up.

20. Sherlock

Sherlock Just one more turn...

Not being a casual gamer all I can say about Starships is I hope it generates some cash they can use to fund development of CiVI.