1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Giruvegan RP

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Demo Game IV: Citizens' started by AluminumKnight, Apr 22, 2008.

1. AluminumKnight

AluminumKnight Conquistador

((Use this thread to RP your life in the exciting settlement of New Giruvegan!))

Official proclamation by Aelbeorht, Head of Faith and leader of New Giruvegan

Per the land ownership policy detailed in the Protectors of Faith platform, I will be designating stewards for some of the plots in the territory of New Giruvegan.

1. I will be steward of the Bronze hill, since I am also the member of the Monks of Magma for bronze.

2. Diamondeye is hereby appointed to be the steward of the gold hill.

3. croxis is hereby appointed to be the steward of the rice tile.

REMEMBER that stewardship is not the same as ownership. This land belongs to the gods and spirits, and we will not pretend to be masters over it. We are merely utilizing the gifts we have been given. This means that I can override any decision you make regarding your land ((Don't worry, I don't plan on interfering unless you do something dumb)).

However, this also means that any citizen is allowed to venture, make his home, and work where he will, without fear of trespassing on another's land. In the case of tiles under stewardship, the steward is in charge of the resources themselves and the land needed to sustain them, but not all of the surrounding land (for instance, if you want to live on the gold hill, go ahead, but you would need to petition Diamondeye in order to use the gold).

2. Diamondeye

Diamondeye So Happy I Could Die

When the settlers arrived, most of them immidiately begun setting up huts. Diamondeye quickly threw what possessions he had (a tent and some food and water, some few clothes), and begun to walk the surrounding area. He had been told how the area would look and where the points of special interest had been, and quickly found the first. On a steep hill, he quickly found a small piece of the gold hw knew was hidden just below the surface. There were several natural caves leading to veins, but he did not enter any of them. He picked up the small piece of gold he had found and looked at it before putting it inside of his clothes. He would show this to the others later. He continued his walk in the nearby area, memorizing the special features of the trees and plants. He enjoyed the walk and let it last almost till sunset before returning to New Giruvegan to set up his tent, a temporary home until they had built real houses. He then found Aortlbeorht and showed him the small piece of gold he had found. "This metal is amazing. It is so beautiful, it is almost hypnotizing. We must make sure it does not tempt those weak of soul."

3. AluminumKnight

Aelbeorht had been busy helping several other citizens build the first building in New Giruvegan, a thatched hut that would serve as his chambers as well as the administrative center of the new settlement. It was getting dark, and Aelbeorht was just thinking of calling a stop for the night when Diamondeye approached him, holding a glinting stone in his hand. "This metal is amazing," the young man began, "It is so beautiful, it is almost hypnotizing. We must make sure it does not tempt those weak of soul." Aelbeorht examined the stone and nodded his head in agreement.

"To be sure, we will," he said, "But I think this stone surely has something to do with the spirits and gods. If there is more of this, we should use it to fashion some sort of tribute to them."

4. Provolution

Provolution Sage of Quatronia

Provolion the Historian gifts the entire historical collection of the Aretans, "The In-Triad", written on parchments on 100 Swine Hides, named "The Shattered Millenium", "The Ballazic Dynasty" and "The Aelbeorht Dynasty". Imminently, we will see "the Nizol Dynasty" and "the Seidrik Dynasty".

5. blastoidstalker

blastoidstalker The Geographer

Blastoid The geographer gifts his two maps, the soapstone chisled sketch of the Aretian Lands and the charcol and hide drawing of the greater surrounding lands. In many years let these sketches remind us of what we once were.

6. Diamondeye

On behalf of the city of new Giruvegan, I accept these maps and propose that library may soon be built to keep them safe, yet accessible. Also, bring my blessing to my brother Sindar.

Diamondeye looked up at Aelbeorht. "Of course. I was merely thinking, if the citizens walk past a monument that shines as the sun every day, perhaps some of them would feel tempted to snatch their own little piece of heaven with them home. But perhaps I am merely being too careful. We should think of how this new material might help the people of Aretia instead of how it might hurt them. We will need to organize mining facilities and employ workers in order to gain enough quantities to utilize it properly. I will take this piece to our brother in the order of the Monks of Magma, I believe one of them has a special understanding of this material. He refers to it as "gold".

With these words, Diamondeye finds a trusted runner to return to Arete with the small piece.

7. AluminumKnight

Aeolbeorht looked thoughtful at Diamondeye's words. nodding his head. "Your concerns are understandable. However, this will be a monument to the gods, and surely none of our people would dare to deface it, lest they face the wrath of those gods. And yes, we must employ citizens to work at extracting this metal." Aelbeorht looked at the setting sun, "The sun is setting, and we must retire for the night soon. Diamondeye, I am giving you charge of this glimmering stone; once we are able to spare some citizens, you will be in charge of how it is to be extracted and sent here for use throughout Aretian lands. Tomorrow I shall journey around to the other important locations near our city. There is also a hill nearby with brownish metal that the Warband says could help strengthen their weapons, as well as an abundance of small white grain that would feed our people." With that, Aelbeorht retired to his tent, pitched next to his half-finished hut, and contemplated the days events before drifting off to sleep.

The next morning, Aelbeorht woke early, with the sun. He quickly rubbed the sleep from his eyes, stood up, and gingerly stretched his old bones. Soon, he thought, I won't be able to travel like this. Best I do it now.
    He stepped outside his tent, looking around for the two warriors that the Prochon warband had arranged to accompany him for the day. As he watched, two young men came walking towards him, looking sleepy still.

They set off for the nearby hill that the Warband reported seeing the stone in. It was only a few hours' walk from camp when they began seeing the brownish metal. One of the warriors bent down and picked up a piece. "See?" he said, looking at Aelbeorht, "This is the stone. If we put it into fire, we can get a tough metal that is much better than our flint tools and our war clubs. Plus, we can easily make it any shape we want!"

Aelbeorht nodded. "Very interesting," he said, "I should like to see how this works. You say you simply put this in a fire and you get a harder material out of it?"

"It's not quite that simple," the warrior said, "You have to be careful to get the metal out of it, since it's liquid, like water. We did it on accident when we camped here and used the rocks to make our campfire, but we were very lucky to find out that the liquid rock cooled and turned into hard metal."

((Side note here. I read up on smelting via wikipedia, and some of the information here is slightly fabricated, since campfires are much too cool to smelt bronze. Apparently pottery kilns were used to smelt, but we don't have pottery yet :) ))

"I should like to see this myself," Aelbeorht said, interested. "Let us take some of it back with us and you can help me do this. If it seems good, I shall dispatch some citizens here to mine the material to make tools and weapons for our armies." With that, the warriors picked up several of the brownish stones and they journeyed to the grain fields that the warband had also discovered.

8. Diamondeye

Diamondeye left the hut and went back to his own humble tent to sleep. The next day he helped the villagers build more houses, and in the evening, when the fires were burning, he took forth another little piece of the material to see if the metal would melt in the fire. But ack, even the village fire was not hot enough to liquidize the material. He pulled it out of the fire with a wooden spear and poked at it. It had hardly softened inside a fire too hot to even stand close to. This would be a problem if the material needed exact shapes, as sculptures of gods do.

9. Vandal Warlord

Vandal Warlord Nazgûl

Vandal walked into the city. He looked about watching the people bustle about. He was wearing white long baggy pants, and a white long sleaved shirt with a chainmail undermesh. His shirt had a black cross on both sholders. He walked around the prospering city going into various shops and huts. As night came he was offered a place to stay by a young woman. As mourning camesaid goodbye to the woman who he had slept with. Vandal ra into to Diamoundeye on his way out of the city. They engaged into short conversation and eventually the topic of Vandal's real name came up. When Vandal was asked this question he smiled and said, "You are not the first to ask me this. But all those who had asked me I shunned for several days. But now, I feel that the nation may know. My true name is Teunoc, but I still wish to be refered to as Vandal." as Vandal bid adieu to Diamoundeye he eventually left the city and he left the city and headed back to Arete.

10. Diamondeye

Diamondeye pondered about Vandals' origin (the name did not sound familiar), and his business in New Giruvegan, before he was again concerned with other problems and forgot about it for a while.

11. AluminumKnight

It had not been long since New Giruvegan was founded. Aelbeorht found himself running shorter of breath quicker every day. Eventually, he could no longer leave the city, and from there it wasn't long until he was confined to his bed. Sensing the end near, he called for his most loyal young Faithful, Diamondeye.

Diamondeye walked into the Head of Faith's house, saddened by his mentor's plight
    ((bit of god-modding here, hope you don't mind)). Upon seeing the young man, Aelbeorht's eyes lit up slightly.

"My child," he began, speaking slowly as Diamondeye drew up next to his bed, "You must know, the end is close for me. Know that I have no regrets. My dream came true. However, I cannot lead the Faithful anymore, even if my health had not forsaken me. There comes a time when the young must take over and the old must step aside. There are so many new things happening, and I feel the people getting confused about their faith. You must be the one to help them. Please, go, and remember what I've taught you..."

Aelbeorht eyes fluttered, but he fought to stay to hear what Diamondeye had to say.

12. Vandal Warlord

Vandal Warlord Nazgûl

A tall,young man walked into the city. He walked around the city, looking for someone as it appeared. He even walked into a woman's hut. She answered with a child in her arms." Excuse me Ma'am, but may I ask you a questin?"He asked. She smiled and said"Yes, of course!". The man asked if a man named Vandal had been here. The woman answered that the child she held was his daughter. The man said goodbye and left. He then sat in front of the city's governor's hut. He waited patiently until a man came from the door. He asked the man"You are Diamoundeye yes? Then I have a question for you, Do you know Teunoc?"

13. Diamondeye

Diamondeye stands close to Aelbeorhts bed, clenching the old mans hand uncontrallebly. His eyes are watery as he speaks:
    "Goodbye father, may the heavens watch over you from now on. I will take this task on my shoulders and lead our people back on the enlightened path. I will miss you."
    After saying this, Diamondeye falls silent, unable to speak. He then turns on his heel and hastily leaves the hut of the Head of Faith. Outside, a young mantries to ask him something, but Diamondeye blocks the words out and pushes the man aside, before trampling off to his own hut.

14. civplayah

civplayah phantasm

"Hello," Civplayah says. "Every person has a time to live, and a time to die. Somewhere in the middle is their time to shine, their key moment. I can remember so many key moments in your life that I would need more than a few sleeps to say them all. Your illness may be fatal, but the shaman at my ashram might have the tea to make it a little better. While you are in the ashram, if you decide to go, our pipe doctors will also take a look at you. This may cure the illness, but you will still have your time to die. I guess my point is, if you come to the ashram, we might have the technology to cure the disease. If you decide not to come, you must say all you wish to say to me, because my ashram needs me."

15. Diamondeye

Diamondeye stands in the background as Civplayah talks to Aelbeorht. His face is again a mask of sadness at the sight of Aelbeorhts condition, but he keeps control of his emotions.

16. AluminumKnight

Aelbeorht looks at civplayah wearily, listening to his suggestion. He considers it carefully, and then slowly responds, "Ah, civplayah, I will gladly take you up on your offer. If you are merely able to ease the pain, I will be grateful. I will need assistance in getting there, however."

17. civplayah

civplayah phantasm

"If all you need is assistance, you can lean on Dimondeye and me, if it's okay with Dimondeye, of course. Like I said, we can ease the pain, and maybe cure the disease altogether. But part of it is in the mind. You must be confident and not think about the disease. If you get better, and you decide to join the ashram, you are welcome. But for now, let's just hope that our tea can help.:help:

18. Diamondeye

"I believe it would be best if you get a good nights sleep, Father. I am sure Civplayah and the other faithful will be more than willing to help you get to Arkadia. I myself will have to stay here for a while, to get a better view of our city and faction. I then plan a visit to Edorai, I have never been there before, and I would like to perhaps draw inspiration from the city. I will meet the two of you again soon, in Arkadia."

19. civplayah

civplayah phantasm

Once they set off, walking was easy for Aelbeorht, as he was leaning on Civplayah. It was a long journey, and there were no cities to stop at along the way. They had brought much supplies, and had to follow their instincts, as there were no maps. When they got hungry, they ate. When they got sleepy, they dozed. How can I make it more boring? Finally, talking arose from the two travelers. "If you couldn't be ill- somehow- would you not?" Civplayah asked respectfully. "If I couldn't be ill, I still would. Everything in life has a reason, including my illness. The Gods might want to teach me something about playing with reality." Civplayah's young mind couldn't comprehend what Aelbeorht was saying. "What do you mean?" "If you have good karma, the Gods will smile upon you. However, if you have recently done something wrong, you will have bad karma, therefore making the Gods frown upon you." And nobody said anything else.
    Once at Arkadia, the ashram was just around the corner when...

To Be Continued at the Ashram thread.