1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Great People

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Ticio, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Ticio

Ticio Prince

1) Do NFP will have new Great people?

I really love the tiny gameplay changes they bring every new game and the tense race for the ones that you like the most.

Therefore, I was wondering if anyone know if they have plans to add new great people in the DLC as that would be awesome.

2) I also wanted to ask about new ideas for new Great People that you would like (I'm very curious about this to see other players game styles and strategies :p)

For example, I had "trading problems" due to having cities that were at more than 15/30 tiles of range between them.

That made me lose a lot of turns redirecting new routes and making new trading posts just to reach a city that otherwise would have taken me 1 turn.

That made me think that a new Great person (merchant or naval) with the ability to double the length of commercial routes could be interesting.

When activated it would make the base range for land trade routes 30 tiles (instead of 15) and 60 for water.
    Maybe not an OP power but taking in account that every new era adds additional turns to the Trade Route's minimum duration, it could be interesting.

It would give a civ the possibility to make very early large trade routes sparing time with trading posts, not desired stops and many turns!

What other Great people would be interesting?

Teddy Lobo likes this.
  2. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am. Moderator

NFP Pack #4 in November will have new GP.

3. Ticio

Ticio Prince

Really? I didn't know! that are very good news. Thank you!

I think I prefer that to others things on the packs!

Teddy Lobo likes this.
  4. comatosedragon

comatosedragon Emperor

There will be more GP in pack 4, but like many I am wondering if there will be a new GP category; or simply more GPs added to existing lists.

5. James_Champagne

James_Champagne Warlord

I do kind of wish there were more Great Musicians...

Teddy Lobo and Avenger237 like this.
  6. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am. Moderator

May I recommend the Real Great Musicians mod.

7. darkace77450

darkace77450 Emperor

Unless they add great philosophers (the cultural equivalent to great scientists) or reworked espionage and added great spies, what space is there for a new category?

Teddy Lobo and 8housesofelixir like this.
  8. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

I hope not. There’s already plenty.

But I’d certainly be happy to see Great Engineers get a buff. They feel very lacklustre.

If FXS were going to muck around with GPs, they could take another look at Great Prophets.

I do wonder if it would be better if Great Prophets could be recruited all game. You’d still cap the number of Religions that could be founded, so after a point GPs would keep letting you Found more Religions. But Great Prophets would then let you Evangelise Religion (ie instead of Apostles) or generate Relics (in addition to the Martyr Promotion and Kandy).

But I’m fine with leaving things where they are, mostly.

9. comatosedragon

comatosedragon Emperor

Nothing I can think of (I agree with acluewithout); but Firaxis has surprised me with their additions to the game lately; so I wouldn't be too surprised to see a "Great Chef" or "Great Actor" or something. But yeah, great philosopher sounds cool too.

Atlas Shrug likes this.
  10. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

Great Entertainers? Great Diplomats? Doubt we'll see either, but Entertainment District does sort of float uncomfortably in the current district/great person system.

11. Tarry

Tarry Chieftain

I want George Lucas as a great prophet to found the Jedi religion. Only available in late era's games

12. onepurpose

onepurpose Chieftain

Maybe Great Theologist... but I don't see much changes in religion a

So , most probably , Great Explorer.. does fit colonization mechanics and so.. (Portugal?)...

Also , this new class may imply reworking the current roost since GP like Magellan or Marco Polo would be included as great explorers and should have to be replaced

Teddy Lobo and comatosedragon like this.
  13. darkace77450

darkace77450 Emperor

What function would a great explorer fill that isn't already filled by scouts? And how would great explorer points be generated?

Teddy Lobo likes this.
  14. Bojmir

Bojmir Chieftain

I would think there should be more Great Prophets, not ones that found religions but ones that enhance Theological Combat or give other buffs that intertwine with the other systems like Science and Culture.

Teddy Lobo, Banazir864 and AntSou like this.
  15. Myomoto

Myomoto Prince

A lot of the Great Admirals are already great explorers.

16. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Emperor

I like the idea, although similar to the situation of Great Admirals pointed out by @Myomoto above, a lot of Great Merchants are already great diplomats.

Teddy Lobo, Myomoto and darkace77450 like this.
  17. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

Yeah, I agree, and one could argue that Great Writers and Musicians fall under the category Great Entertainers. There is always the possibility of certain great people being allocated from one category to another, but like I also said, I don't think those candidates are likely to be what's included.

Teddy Lobo likes this.
  18. Shadowstrike

Shadowstrike Chieftain

Although this wouldn't change gameplay, it would be neat if there were a larger number of Great Writers/Artists/Musicians, even if each game had the same number of them permitted (i.e. make them like Natural Wonders, where different ones of the whole set show up). That wouldn't require a lot more work thinking up new bonuses for them.

Teddy Lobo and Myomoto like this.
  19. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

I think the most likely scenario is the implementation of something akin to JFD's Great Theologians mod.

But my hope is that they add a bunch of new GP for each category and era, and that they get randomised at the beginning of each game, so that you never know what you're getting.

20. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I expect they won't be adding a new category, rather they will be fluffing out the ranks of Great People so you are less likely to run out.