New History Quiz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hülegü, Möngke's brother, captured Baghdad in 1258 and slaughtered 800 000 citizens.

Edit: Tamerlan (aka Timur Lenk) reconquered Baghdad in 1401 and killed 20 000 of it's citizens.

Someone else can pose a new question if the answer is sufficient.

Otto Skorzeny accompanied by commandos, he was later sent out on a mission to kill Tito.

Which policy was incorporated from the Stimson Doctrine into what major international organization?

the Stimson doctrine means one doesn't accept territorial changes if they were caused by force. I guess the UN uses this (or it's predecessor, the Nationsleague)

Originally posted by willemvanoranje
the Stimson doctrine means one doesn't accept territorial changes if they were caused by force. I guess the UN uses this (or it's predecessor, the Nationsleague)

Indeed, that is correct. The League of Nations and several other international organizations adopted this posture.

Mr. Oranje's turn! :goodjob: :)

Whith the conquest of Mesopotamia by what civilization did religion for the first time believe in a true afterlife in this area of the world? (besides some small religions)

Originally posted by willemvanoranje
Whith the conquest of Mesopotamia by what civilization did religion for the first time believe in a true afterlife in this area of the world? (besides some small religions)

The persians?

that indeed is the answer I was waiting for :goodjob: your turn :) Those guys also brought dualism (good vs. evil) to religion. Very important. After the conquest of Babylon, the Jews that were once forced to move there after the conquest of Judah (mind: not Israel, that happened earlier and those Jews integrated) and had kept their culture, were sent back to Jeruzalem to honor Jahweh in the right place again. The Jews took some of the Persian (Zaratristha) ideas with them though, and although they were seen as unorthodox, they reappeared centuries later in christianity.

A more less easy one:
What's the origin of modern day expressions left wing and right wing? The answer must explore more than just the place/year.

Originally posted by MCdread
A more less easy one:
What's the origin of modern day expressions left wing and right wing? The answer must explore more than just the place/year.

Origin in the French National Assembly, 1789. Revolutionaries sat on the left. Therefore the left was more liberal. The Nobles were sitting on the right, being conservative.

If I am right someone else ask the next question.

OK here is one:

During WW II, Germany raised various military formations consisting of volunteers from nearly every occupied, un-occupied and neutral country west of the Caucasus Mountains. Which country did NOT send volunteers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom