New Idea - Challenge Runs #1

Spoiler :
I literally went granary one and I struggled with production a lot

Yea not much production, but I had good money with the extra gold and selling wine.

It's good that gold feels relevant again. I actually had a great tundra pantheon start which didn't even go well in one of my games because I ran out of money and couldn't just sell my iron to make it back

+83 gpt on turn 84 seems really strong and I was still to improve and sell most of my wine. So I would be looking at around 100 gpt soon. I could stop working this awful non flood plains incense and still get only -9 gpt. It is best to just settle on it, but I wanted double monopoly asap.

I think just having the save being already settled on t1 would be best. While moving to a NW is fun it is also a bit silly as it almost never happens in a real game

It seemed like that only happened here on second run throughs, no? That first settling decision is pretty critical though. Seems like these scenarios often foster discussion and debate about the best settling position, and whether to move. So I'd prefer the save not being settled.

We can have some that are settled, some that are not. One improves making best of the situation skill (especially the place settled is suboptimal and you need to find and try unconventional strategies like going defense pantheon, mixing policies), the other more daring and exploring what tiles and pantheon combinations are best for a typical game.

Two Challenge Ideas: First to get Mathematics as Mayans (and maybe some other requirement or goal shortly after that so we can explore getting different GPs) maybe requirement to not be totally crippled but to be able to have a good game still
Second challenge as Mayans: to have some tech or era or wonder reached (Chitchen Itza?) first.
Whether or not to go Mathematics first or Kunas first or your pantheon or luxes or wonder path first is actually quite stressful, interesting and challenging as the Maya. On the second challenge we can explore if going mathematics first (and in what relation to pottery) is always right as Mayans.

Last edited:
Okay so seems like this went quite well so I will try and keep doing them, I'm thinking next one will be on saturday and I might start keeping score somehow. Say 1 point for everyone who does it and bonus for fastest. Also I'll perhaps say don't move more than 1 turn for first settle since I can imagine natural wonders being the best start often.
Isn't this pretty much a lite version of GOTM (game-of-the-month) then? I have not paid attention but the main site here used to run them before, for years. Don't know if they do that any longer, I have not really been paying attention to anything that isn't C5VP or what even gets posted to the main site. So they might have stopped running them ages ago. (edit) Nope. They are apparently still a thing from what I can see.

Last edited:
It seemed like that only happened here on second run throughs, no? That first settling decision is pretty critical though. Seems like these scenarios often foster discussion and debate about the best settling position, and whether to move. So I'd prefer the save not being settled.

Maybe limit players to settling within 3 turns? I do mostly move my capital most of the time but three turns is the limit really and two is far more common.

Maybe limit players to settling within 3 turns? I do mostly move my capital most of the time but three turns is the limit really and two is far more common.

I'm not for any limits; my position is that the possibility of settling next to a natural wonder isn't that high. It doesn't affect most of these games. My impression was that you didn't settle the natural wonder with the capital on your first play through. But it would be bad play to rely on a Spanish gambit and look for a wonder beyond what you can see on the first turn or two.

I'm not for any limits; my position is that the possibility of settling next to a natural wonder isn't that high. It doesn't affect most of these games. My impression was that you didn't settle the natural wonder with the capital on your first play through. But it would be bad play to rely on a Spanish gambit and look for a wonder beyond what you can see on the first turn or two.

I guess it depends on if we try to limit people to one run or not. I thought it would be easier to just let people replay it but then I think the limit on movement will be necessary.

And rerunning is just really boring. Exploring what you have to work with and decision being made with limited knowledge is great in early turns.

Anyone else get "Required DLC not available"? I'm on the correct patch and use no other mods.

Top Bottom