1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New IGN info (May 23, 2007)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by mrbee, May 23, 2007.

1. Gaius Octavius

Gaius Octavius Deity

Confound you, Sid Meier, my productivity will be shot for 2 months following July 23!!!

On-topic: This looks to be the best expansion ever made. "Civ 4.5" is the understatement of the year.

2. Virulent

Virulent King

I'm pretty sure that's a modern era great general.

Interestingly enough the great general is the only GP with three different era-specific looks. Most of the others only have two, except for the great prophet who only has one look (you think they could have made the modern great prophet into a televangelist or something).

3. Gaius Octavius

Gaius Octavius Deity

Or a Reverend... Like "Reverend" Abe Lincoln of the Holy American Empire in Civ 2.

4. ChrTh

ChrTh Happy Yule!

Doh! My mistake, it's been awhile. Maybe I was thinking more along the lines of the Wonders that required you have Ivory or Gold to build them?

The solution, though, if you make an Ivory-required UU is to just map distribute Ivory as if it were horses. See, problem solved, and more Civs get access to a Happy resource.

5. kcbrett5

kcbrett5 Warlord

I'm not that old.

What?

You called me old man.

Well I can't just call you "man"

You could call me Dennis.

I didnt know you were called Dennis.

Well you didn't bother to find out, did you?

6. nikosison

nikosison Chieftain

Dud anyone notice that the the elephant unit here and here looks awfully low-res. I mean if you look at the nearby units it is the only one that does not have a shadow. I doesn't even look as if it is touching the ground. Hopefully by release they've changed this

7. ChrTh

ChrTh Happy Yule!

Dude, elephants don't have shadows!

8. nikosison

nikosison Chieftain

:confused: The don't? shoot my my noobness exposed

9. Thedrin

Thedrin Deity

Break away colonies: I'm hoping this is just cities that pay large amounts of maintenance (relative to map size) will attempt to break away from their founding civ. This should mean that small civs are relatively secure and threat of a split can be reduced through the Forbidden Palace. I'm also hoping that neighbouring cities can break way together.

10. kcbrett5

kcbrett5 Warlord

I love this idea. It reminds me of the civil wars that split nations in two under some older versions of the game, potentially even better though. Like if you have cities on an island far from your capital, they could rebel and form their own nation. That would be great, another wrinkle to challenge you.

11. Monado

Monado King

Question: How did civil wars work in the old civ games? I didn't start playing the series until after Civ3 Play the World was released. If a civ split up...who would run the other half, a whole new civ, or would it become barbarian? I just don't understand how this worked, so I am having trouble grasping the idea of splitting colonies in BtS. Thanks for any help.

12. kcbrett5

kcbrett5 Warlord

In the early versions, when you conquered an enemay capital that civ could split into 2 different civs. One would continue to function as the same civ with a new capital, while the newly created civ would be given the name of one of the civs not yet in your game. They would function as 2 independent civs from that point forward.

13. Thedrin

Thedrin Deity

Oh, I forgot.

I'd also like to opportunity to grant regions independence. This provides the opportunity for the player to gain good relations with a new civ instead of being forced into a war with them. Possibly granting independence would put both civs into a defensive pact for a certain number of turns.

14. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

Ugh why do the Byzantines have to be in? There the Romans in another time period.

Other then that nice expansion. Except i'd hate to miss Austria and Poland.

15. mice

mice Moose

My only concern is that the apostolic palace will have constant pop ups about voting. Imagine a pop up every three turns until it is obsoleted. It would make me crazy.

Also I would really like a second leader for Spain and Greece.

16. Titus001

Titus001 Warlord

I will be very happy with the expansion if they add a 24 earth map instead of the vanilla 18.

17. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

Or the newly created civ could be one that had been in the game, but previously destroyed.

18. Gaius Octavius

Gaius Octavius Deity

That reminds me... I'd really like to see the new breakaway Civ names based on historical revolutions. :D

( -> means revolution)

England -> America
    Rome -> France, England, Spain, or Byzantium
    Ottomans -> Egypt, Arabia, Greece

There was talk of doing this before but to my knowledge it never got done.

19. Lockesdonkey

Lockesdonkey Liberal Jihadist

Say that in Greece and they'll tear your throat out. The Byzantines were a unique cross of Rome and Hellenistic Greek culture. They spoke Greek and essentially were Greek, but to be fair, the Greeks in the game represent Ancient Greece. The Greeks before the Romans and the Greeks after the Romans are almost completely different; even the language changed (a modern Greek hearing The Iliad in the original would have approximately the same reaction as an English speaker trying to read Beowulf, or if not that, then The Canterbury Tales: How could my ancestors speak this gibberish?); the religion too.

20. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

Yah that's what i don't like about civs.

If it's Greece then i want it to represent Medieval, Ancient and Modern Greece.
    If it's Vikings, then i'd like to rename them Scandinavians and represent Norway Sweden Finland Denmark and the Vikings.

But the game isn't like that so...

But still i think there's much better civs to represent instead of the Roman-Greek crossed Byzantines.