1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New IGN info (May 23, 2007)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by mrbee, May 23, 2007.

1. flamingzaroc121

flamingzaroc121 Emperor

well byzantium really was founded by the megarians( a city state in greece) so techinally they started out greek

(just a tidbit to add to the little debate)

2. Gaius Octavius

Gaius Octavius Deity

Prefer changing historical names? Visit this thread:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=210053

Just about every complaint/rant in General Discussions is trying to be addressed by people in Creation & Customization, if only you'd take the time to visit... ;)

3. Titus001

Titus001 Warlord

Tear throats out? Ok i agree that the roman empire and byzantium were a unique cross. But i do not think of the byzantines as a "greek empire" even though if you count race it was mostly made up by greek speaking people. But for many 100's of years latin was spoken. For me Byzantium was the continuation of the roman civilization.

This documentary gives a good view on my opinion. Just skip most of the video and fast forward to 35 mins into this documentary about byzantium. Or if like history you could give it a watch.:)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4160855843115464701&q=byzantium

4. benjamin28

benjamin28 Warlord

Byzantium is interesting... Not greek, not roman, unique in its culture and history. But we're gonna miss two of these ones because of its fault:
    Brazil
    Israel
    Hatti
    Sumer
    Austria
    Assyria
    Ethiopia
    Venezuela
    Transvaal Republic
    South Africa
    And a few more

I hope Firaxis change the names of some UUs: Wisa instead of Quechua, Legionary instead of Praetorian, Hoplite instead of Phalanx, Sudra instead of Fast Worker and Chu-ko-nu instead of Cho-ko-nu.

5. chaz1356

chaz1356 Warlord

Eh i just hope we can nuke our own territory. Ive never been on the losing side of a battle but the one time i was my entire army was destroyed, my navy was useless in helping me and 3 seperate nations kept advancing into my territory. I had a few nukes but i couldnt use them in my own territory.

Also the battles will be much much much much more interesting. You will have to watch the tanks on the battlefield, air wars all over, and you will finally have to have decent naval tactics in order to control the shipping lanes.

Lasty, I am creaming my jeans thinking about all the diplomatic tactics of breaking up civilizations through civil wars, and creating wars between enemy nations.

6. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

I have no problem with Byzantium and Rome being in the game.
    They were more different than England, France and Germany...

7. scy12

scy12 Deity

Indeed. It would make no sense to enter it as a different civilization. It would be Like Alexander's Greece , Pericles Greece , Agisilaos Greece ,Menandros Greece and Modern Greece where entered as different civilizations. Now they will enter medieval Greece.

8. lamppost4

lamppost4 Holder of the Light

Yayyy... visible trade routes. Finally we can have decent naval battles.And Byzantines, whats wrong with the Byzantines, I like them. The Byzantines contributed much to history, such as converting the Russians to Christianity and carrying on classical knowledge.

9. GrandSultan

GrandSultan Full Time Hypocrite

As far as Suleyman goes, keep in mind that that portrait is by a French painter, so he might be slightly fairer than he really was.

It also appears that they put him in his Mosque; the background is most definatley a mosque, and looks grand enough, and it makes enough sense, that it would be his.

10. civzombie

civzombie Prince

Somebody said that it would be cool if far away colonies might break away and form a new civ. I say that distance from the capital might be realistic, but that does not necessarily translate to good gameplay.

Far away island cities are generaly barely worth the trouble as it is. Given the choice of taking over a neighbor to get new close cities and settling distance islands we all know which is the better strategic choice... A system that only reinforces that easy choice does not seem good for gameplay.

What I think would be better for gameplay, is if the chance of rebelling and forming a new civ was based on lack of city infrastructure. So if you don't bother building granaries, barracks, aquaducts, etc. you have more chance of a rebellion. Thus, peaceful builder types that "help" their citizens with infrastructure would have a much less chance of rebellion vs. war mongers who constantly use cities to build more troops.

11. mjs0

mjs0 The 4th X

Actually it could improve the game if (big IF) these revolutions affect AI Civs and cause some of those annoying 'city in the ice/tundra on my continent because its the last available land' cities to rebel so I can raze the darn things without diplo penalties.:trouble:

12. mice

mice Moose

In the case where you have the other continent in a technology love fest racing away to a space victory, it would be good to use espionage to encourage a civil war split in some of these civs to cause unrest and slow them down. That would be more interesting than blowing up their chain irrgation.

13. kniteowl

kniteowl Pirate Captain :P

That's ALOT of new features in this game... I just hope we don't micro-mangae too much... I hope they make some things easier by stream lining or automating things like Missionaries/Salesman(Corporations) Automatically founding the Reg/Corp option and etc for other things.

14. cbmclean

cbmclean Chieftain

Did anyone here use to play Civilization: Call to Power? That game had what I considered to be a very fun trading system with on-map trade routes which could be broken by enemy units. I have always wished the Civ games would implement such a system. So I like the sound of those on-map trade routes in BTS.

15. Martinus

Martinus Emperor

Have the Byzantines been confirmed anywhere as a civilization or are the people talking about Byzantium derailing the thread? I can't find a mention of Byzantium anywhere in the article.

16. Vietcong

Vietcong Deity

the eliphant unit dosent look realy well done to me, it my be for a senario so let not jump to conclusions

17. LAnkou

LAnkou Breizh A Tao

the problem with the trade route system in ctp was the constant pillaging...

18. mitsho

mitsho Deity

There is this screenshot with unique-unit lookinglish elephants, archers, horsemen and warriors (here. People in here think that the elephant unit means a Khmer civ, the archers belong to Babylon, the warriors might be something middle eastern as well (Israel, Sumer?) and that the horsemen are cataphracts, thus the Byzantine Unique Unit. Of course, these might just be scenario units...

mick

19. chopstyx

chopstyx Warlord

I think that establishing colonies may work in a similar way to vassals in warlords. i.e. After settling a city on a new piece of land you can either declare it yours, or part of a new colony civ. That way your maintenance is reduced for this city, but as the 'master' of the new colony civ you can demand any resources, etc that they city is close to. It would also be a maintenace-cheap way of establishing borders so that your enemies canot settle on the land and even though they aren't your borders they are those of a friendly (vassal) civ and you would be able to put your troops on its land. The civ would remain a colony/vassal to you until certain conditions are met, such as the 50% rules that are in place at the moment.

Although in order for this to happen colonies have to be more worthwhile having than vassals currently are. Perhaps have a rule that the colonies cannot refuse any of the parent civs requests for the first X turns. It is damn annoying when your vassal is researching ahead of you and won't give you techs that you require.

20. Danielos

Danielos Emperor