New IGN info on Warlords

I think SuperBeaver was referring to the Dragon Boat concept art pic that I found in the same gallery Thunderfall has those two other images in.

Watiggi said:
Asian scenario? Don't you mean the Alexander scenario?

I'm talking about the the dragon boat being either from the Mongol scenario or the Unification of China.

smjjames said:
I think SuperBeaver was referring to the Dragon Boat concept art pic that I found in the same gallery Thunderfall has those two other images in.

SuperBeaverInc. said:
I'm talking about the the dragon boat being either from the Mongol scenario or the Unification of China.

oops :blush: sorry. It could be for both scenarios.

In the Alexander scenario, it's interesting how the techs give the promotions. I wonder if the promotions are automatically given or whether they just become available for you to choose. I guess the later but it wouldn't suprise me if there were some techs that gave whole army abilities like March or something. Man that looks interesting.

Watiggi

well the alexander scenario is definetly based on conquest and since there really weren't many major advances in technology during his time, maybe a few improvements here and there, so it does make sense for the tech tree to be military related.

based on the look of it, that is near the end of the tech tree (its got a little way to go though). That means that there is quite a bit that comes before it.

Watiggi said:
I don't know. I think the Vassal State is going to be tedius at best. By the sounds of it *all* it is, is an alliance where your score factors in their land.

I expected a more complete one sided alliance which allowed co-operation and what not. Hmmm maybe there is more here than meets the eye. The fact that it can be disolved means that there must be something that has to be done to keep the Vassal State. So maybe there is.

Watiggi

In the website for my planned mod (see sig), I have vassal state as an available diplomatic status for a civilization... I can't help but wonder if maybe some Firaxis programmer didn't read through my site and borrow... :dubious: :D

On the off off chance that this is the case, I don't care. Firaxis can take all the ideas they want from me as long as it makes it into the game :goodjob:

I do hope though that the Vassal State diplomatic status is a bit more complex than what that little tidbit said. What would be nice is if you get a portion of their gold/research and their resources automatically become YOUR resources (since you only need one supply to run an entire civ on :rolleyes: ) and that they will take care of their own maintenance costs and unit support (which will be important since if you declare war on an enemy, they should join too). And even if they don't include it, the modders will come in and add some other things like getting troops out of them and such like mercenaries that join your army rather than fight as a part of their army.

If these kinds of bonuses aren't there, you might as well just conquer them if they're so inferior to you. I can still get the same score if their territory is part of my empire as I could if they were vassals.

Dom Pedro II said:
In the website for my planned mod (see sig), I have vassal state as an available diplomatic status for a civilization... I can't help but wonder if maybe some Firaxis programmer didn't read through my site and borrow... :dubious: :D
Hehe - the warlord (great general) unit is strikingly similar to a few mods that have been made as well... only the way they've done it seems to be a bit better.

The thing is, the score doesn't really interest me. I am really only interested in the gameplay dynamics of the Vassal State. The latest tidbit seemed to suggest that all it does is take away the tedium of having to clean up for the purposes of scoring for domination.

I had it in my mind that it would be something like a breakable, biased permanent alliance whereby they gave tribute in the form of tech, gold, resources and units (what ever you asked for) only while they considered you a good leader of sorts. So if you look after them, then they will give what you ask for. If you seem to profit from it more than they do, they then start to loose trust and what not. That was my idea of it.

I have been interested in doing a mod for something like that for a while (all though I cannot mod at all). I wanted to take it to the extreme though - allowing the civ to actually rule through other civs, reaching a point of trust where they will do what you say. The level of trust will equate to how much leeway they will give you, etc. If your empire grows both in resources, tech, military, etc, where theirs do not, then they will assume that you are taking advantage of them and start to distrust your decision making. I would so love to make a mod like that. It would be a way of encouraging people to have small civs.

The Great Apple said:
Hehe - the warlord (great general) unit is strikingly similar to a few mods that have been made as well... only the way they've done it seems to be a bit better.

Maybe there are some behind the scene negotiations are going or something.

Watiggi

Watiggi said:
I had it in my mind that it would be something like a breakable, biased permanent alliance whereby they gave tribute in the form of tech, gold, resources and units (what ever you asked for) only while they considered you a good leader of sorts. So if you look after them, then they will give what you ask for. If you seem to profit from it more than they do, they then start to loose trust and what not. That was my idea of it. Watiggi

Well it is breakable (confirmed)
It is an "alliance" (you share war status)(confirmed)
it is biased (involves some type of tribute)(confirmed)

I'd imagine it is largely based on your strength, copmpared to how much they like you (ie how many nice things you do for them)

I'd imagine the tribute is probably Gold Only: in some fixed amount based on either
1. negotiated amount
2. thier population
3. their total gold, research, (and culture?) output

As for Wonder Access, probably not
As for Resource Access... I'm not sure put you probably have some advantage in getting thier extras/controlling who they trade it to.
As for Open Borders... I'm pretty sure your troops can move in their territory, and you Might be able to control who they have open borders with.

Wow, great link arkammler :goodjob:

I thought it had a lot more detail than the others.

With regards to the Genghis scenario: Having the settler camp on the plains will create horses. Having it on forest will create catapults....coool.

The Alexander the Great scenario requires you to conquer the ancient world, and there's new Greek architecture for cities, as well as a scenario-specific technology tree.

There is also an asian city style... I wonder if the new arquitecture would make it to the core game... I hope it does... But I have the feeling it won´t...

Does anyone think that the camp will be the 'unique building' for the Mongols in the epic game? Maybe replacing the Barracks? I don't know what it would produce in the modern age though, it would be hard to imagine a moveable 'camp' spitting out tanks or mechanized infantry...I think it would have a useful 'range' of time like a UU.
And is any civ going to have Industrious and Philosophical or is that just not going to happen ever?

BuckeyeMC said:
Does anyone think that the camp will be the 'unique building' for the Mongols in the epic game? Maybe replacing the Barracks? I don't know what it would produce in the modern age though, it would be hard to imagine a moveable 'camp' spitting out tanks or mechanized infantry...I think it would have a useful 'range' of time like a UU.

Yeah, I would like that to be the case but I doubt that will happen. I can't see that drastic of a change being done to the core game. I originally thought that the Mongol UB would be the Yurt which would be a portable barracks that could be used to produce more units. That would make sense for the Mongols. But now that it's in the scenario, I doubt the UB will have that effect too (allthough I do hope so).

The question is, if the Mongol UB isn't going to essentially be a 'portable barracks', then what else could the UB for the Mongols be? If it isn't mobile it isn't Mongol - not at least in the way history knows the Mongols as.

BuckeyeMC said:
And is any civ going to have Industrious and Philosophical or is that just not going to happen ever?

I think the Romans originally had the phil/ind combo but it was concluded that it was too powerful a combination, so it was changed.

Watiggi

The Mongol UB:

Great Big Pile 'O Skulls

-Replaces all other buildings
-Kills entire population of constructing town
-Doesn't do much, but really creeps out everyone else

Watiggi said:
Yeah, I would like that to be the case but I doubt that will happen. I can't see that drastic of a change being done to the core game. I originally thought that the Mongol UB would be the Yurt which would be a portable barracks that could be used to produce more units. That would make sense for the Mongols. But now that it's in the scenario, I doubt the UB will have that effect too (allthough I do hope so).

The question is, if the Mongol UB isn't going to essentially be a 'portable barracks', then what else could the UB for the Mongols be? If it isn't mobile it isn't Mongol - not at least in the way history knows the Mongols as.
Well, the whole game doesn't model the Mongols 'correctly' so I doubt they're losing any sleep over that now. It'll probably just be some sort of military building...

Maybe you build the GW by sacrificing 1 pop from every city, so the wonder is not city-based. (It makes no sense to be city-based.) I've never been very troubled by barbs (even raging barbs) to ever imagine wasting resources to build it. Now, if they did something to halt the AI, especially with Aztec or Mongolian neighbors, then it would be worth building.

...but that would mean it also couldn't be captured either. Then again, once it's there, it's there I guess. There wouldn't be a point to capture it nor have it in a city. If it keeps barbarians out, then it wouldn't matter who owns the territoy inside it.

Top Bottom