1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New info (6/25) on Shacknews interview

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by mjs0, Jun 25, 2010.

1. mjs0

mjs0 The 4th X

Shacknews have posted an interview with Dennis Shirk that seems to have quite a bit of new info (at least that I hadn't heard before), including:

On unique units:
    On the impact of policies on diplomacy:
    On early game races/rushes:
    On multiplayer:
    That last one is particularly interesting as it appears to be a clear indication that Firaxis/2K are listening to some fan requests and making changes.

2. Lillefix

Lillefix I'm serious. You can.

The natural wonder bit reminds me of smac. A good thing.

3. BobDole

BobDole American Leader in Civ VI

Interesting to see that some of the UUs might have special abilities. I'm guessing not all of them will (I'm sure some will just have extra Strength, or a passive bonus against mounted units, etc.) but it'd make UUs more fun.

4. Alsark

Alsark Noble

That's interesting that policies wouldn't at all affect relations with other major civilizations. So policies don't affect relations and there is obviously no religion to affect relations... meaning relations must be based solely on things like open borders, wars, trading with enemies, border tensions, etc. It seems like it will be significantly more difficult to be friends with an AI than be enemies with them, seeing as how there aren't many positive diplomacy bonuses left (as far as Civ4 went) once you strip away religion and civic bonuses.

Also, the Romans building roads wherever they go could potentially be a bad thing. I mean, the enemy can use roads in neutral territory just as well as you can (or so I'd assume).

5. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Deity

Sorry, but I think having social policies *not* impact on diplomatic relations is a load of rubbish-especially in the modern era. The idea that a civ that follows a Freedom Path is going to enjoy as close a friendship with an Autocratic civ as it does with a fellow Freedom-loving Civ makes no sense to me :(!

Aussie.

6. Mef

Mef Chieftain

I don't think they build roads automatically.
    Dennis Shirk mentions their ability as an example for an UU ability that is not a passive bonus.

7. Nicolas10

Nicolas10 Warlord

Excting, exciting stuff. Massive gameplay potential.

Creating 18 really unique civs sounds awesome. Units that do different things, new civ powers... it really makes me want to play with all 18 civilizations. Can't say that about previous Civ versions.

Also, the Geographic wonder bonus sounds pretty fascinating... I like random things to take advantage of. You don't want them to be cheats, i.e. goody huts, but special things like City-State variability, Natural wonders for city placement (which may be worth a war with an AI); annexing vs. puppet. 10 differen investments for social policy. No tech trading. No Cottage Spam. Terrain-Modified Combat.

Just seems they are putting a TON of emphasis on gameplay dymanics. Undoubtedly some key strategies/patterns will emerge.

But doesn't it just seem like they're putting their money where there mouth is on making gameplay truly more dynamic?

I'm very excited.

8. Schuesseled

Schuesseled Deity

Makes sense to me, america and australia both have similar ideals to us brits. But there are a lot of anti-american, and anti-australian jokes, and prejudicies. Having similar ideals shouldn't force someone to like you, you have to earn that friendship.

9. BobDole

BobDole American Leader in Civ VI

Eh, civics didn't affect relations in Civ IV that much, generally just a point or two (plus any points when they very rarely asked you to switch civics and you said yes/no). Not a huge loss I think.

10. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Deity

I'm all for getting rid of cottage *spam*, but not so keen on getting rid of COTTAGES (or, more to the point, the precursors which eventually grow into villages & towns). Personally, I had an easy way around cottage spam in Civ4. I just made them like workshops-bonus money, but you lost 1 food from the tile. Really changed the game dynamic for the better IMHO. Hopefully they've taken this approach with Trading Posts (which, I believe, are the replacements for cottages!)

Aussie.

11. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Deity

Sharing ideals-or not-shouldn't be a deal maker/deal breaker, but it should be of *some* importance to diplomatic relations!

Aussie.

12. Schuesseled

Schuesseled Deity

He didnt say it was automatic, but legions (even if you have to clikc a button,) can build roads wherever they go. without bringing along a worker.

13. Mef

Mef Chieftain

Yes, that's what he said.
    He didn't say that they always build them automatically (that wouldn't make any sense with the new road system) so you don't need to fear that enemies make use of your automatically built legion-roads in neutral land.

14. Schuesseled

Schuesseled Deity

I know

But you can build them wherever you want, if you wanted to.

15. Mef

Mef Chieftain

So? I never suggested otherwise.

16. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

"Shack: Are these - for lack of a better term - spells to be cast or are they passive bonuses?

Dennis Shirk: Not just passive bonuses. The Roman Legion, for instance, can build roads and forts, things previously just given to the worker [unit]. As the Romans, your legions are going across the landscape and paving their own roads at the same time. "

Hehh. I don't want to boast or anything (or yes? :),
    but if memory serves me well, I have given exactly these bonuses to the legion unit
    in my civ3 mod Clashing of Empires ;)

EDIT:
    I ask for excuse, but let me quote from... myself from 5 years ago back:

"A NEW IDEA:
    I have the thought to give all UU something specific beside the fact that they have uniqe stats.
    A roman leginary can build roads and fortress, for instance. Like this, all UU should have sg. normal units don't have."

here... is the source...

17. Nicolas10

Nicolas10 Warlord

Excuse me while I whip this out... :)

Great movie.

18. Schuesseled

Schuesseled Deity

i was merely trying to point out that by saying that legions will be having roads built wherever one goes does not mean it has to be automatic.

19. kozzer

kozzer Liberated Autocrat

I think it's an awesome idea, as that's how things went down in history. Roads built by Roman soldiers are what kept the Republic/Empire alive and thriving for upwards of 1,000 years ("All roads lead to Rome" and all that).

20. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

I think that it would be difficult to have social policies affect relations when you keep the benefits of all policies you have purchased.

It makes sense to have Civ4 civics affect diplomacy, because you can switch between them. But if there's no policy switching, and if you retain the policy you purchased 2000 years ago, then it wouldn't really make much sense.

This is one of the design costs of having policies that don't expire.