1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New info on XP

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Alter Ego, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Alter Ego

Alter Ego Chieftain

Thanks to Nikolai from Apolyton.
    http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=149967&pagenumber=3

The original article (for Scandinavians): http://gamer.no/nyhet/pc/krigsherrer_til_civilization_iv/24524

2. Hamminator

Hamminator Chieftain

Gaul aren't they just the ancient owners of France they did not do anything great in the past or present and they weren't organized into one civilization they were tribes throughout France that unifed on occasion to fight Rome. They should be in the Rome scenario but not in the regular game!
    Why not add someone new like the Turks.
    Where is the World Wars!!![pissed]

edit:had meltdown but its edited now. More logical. Still mad about world wars hope this report is wrong!

3. doronron

doronron King

Oh please, don't start that stuff again. Do the boards really need another round of civ-specific fanboy rants?

Besides, we only know three of the six Civs. Your precious Turks could very well be in there and not been mentioned.

4. monkspider

monkspider Warlord

It should be noted that the first previews for PTW referred to the Celts as the Gauls, so I'm fairly certain that will be the case here as well.

5. Olleus

Olleus Deity

unique building eh. Could prove intresting. Any speculation on what it could be? I'm guessing special temple for saladin and factory for the Germans.

6. Gibsie

Gibsie Warlord

Heh I read the quote as saying AI civs would get unique buildings. How weird that would have been!

7. Thunderfall

Thunderfall Administrator Administrator Moderator

GameSpot has a first look article on Warlords as well:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/civilizationivwarlords/news.html?sid=6146172

8. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Deity

Actually, I am not so happy about each civ having a unique building. I always feel that what makes Civ so great is the ability to totally rewrite history, and giving a civ guaranteed access to even a single 'historically accurate' building seems to defeat that purpose. Now, I would like to see a return of building flavours (a la Civ3), and I wouldn't mind seeing a building restricted by a Civ Leaders Traits-just not civ-specific. Still, I guess I will ultimately just wait and see how it works when I play the game, and make final judgement then.

Yours,
    Aussie_Lurker.

9. troilus

troilus Chieftain

I agree. I always thought (well, since Civ3 and the introduction of uus & traits, anyway) that it would be cool if, based on how you developed your civ, different uus & traits became available--say, if you produced 15 mounted units within a certain time span, and before you unlocked another uu (say by producing 15 archers, you would've gotten the skirmisher), you'd get the keshik. Something like that, likewise for civ traits, say if the preponderance of your buildings early on were culture-related, you'd get the 'cultural' trait. Not that a civ could have more than two, but the game would keep track of what character you were giving your civ, and based on those calcs your civ would 'be' of those traits.

But given the way the game is designed now, it still sounds pretty interesting to have new buildings!

10. Cloud Tiamat

Cloud Tiamat Chieftain

I hope the Babylonians (or Sumerians) make a return.....

11. Vietcong

Vietcong Deity

for a short time gaul formed a confederation agisnt rome, nerly won but lost later on

i think the celts are a beater name for the civ, as guals usely refer to just the ones in france, while the celtis refer to a wider culter, thro the british islands, france, spain, austria, italy hungery ect ect ect. and blah blah

or gauls a good name too tho.. eather one realy.

12. wotan321

wotan321 Emperor

Wow, six scenarios I have no interest in playing. Do the folks at Firaxis look at this board? Of course they do.... what scenarios/mods are there? WW2 is being worked on.... Ancient Europe, TAM is popular. Look at the units people are working on.... How about a WWI scenario? But the ancient Greeks and Romans again? I guess they must have been the most popular ones in earlier Civ incarnations cuz we see them over and over again.

Okay, once the initial disappointment wears off, I am sure Firaxis will thrill me with all the gameplay/scenario tricks and variations they will throw in. Yep, I am sure that is on the way....

All whining aside, I am gonna buy it, and am eager to see it on the shelves.

13. Head Serf

Head Serf Emperor

Darn it, I kind of wanted to do a Chinese Unification scenario after I finish the one I'm currently working on. Oh well, maybe I'll do the Korean War. Whatever, I'll have to wait until I finish my current one first.

14. Cloud Tiamat

Cloud Tiamat Chieftain

The problem is when I think "Gaul" I think of the area we know of as France.

15. Belboz

Belboz Necromancer

Gaul is very much like France, except that all Gaul is divided into three parts. . .

16. Vael

Vael Shadow Angel

It would be a bad idea for Firaxis to do a WWII scenario in my opinion... why you ask? Because people expect so much from it and everyone wants something different they'll only be upset with the result no matter how it turns out. That's why there's, oh, what, ten WWII projects going on here right now?

17. atreas

atreas King

WWII scenarios have IMO a "small" problem. Being a fan of war strategy games, I have never found any kind of civ simulation even close to a kind of realism: to have this you need weather, supply routes and time limits, more strategical maps (and not so much "city oriented maps"), specialized units for specific tasks, and many other things that currently aren't in the game. But both the Peloponnesian war and the ancient China war seem quite interesting, and will probably give a nice gameplay.

18. BlueRenner

BlueRenner Warlord

The only question being how can they possibly do a WW2 scenario without Hitler?

I mean, come on. What are they going to do, have Mussolini head up the Reich?

- Bill

19. GIR

GIR It'sNotStupidIt'sAdvanced

lol, i agree. I WANT A COOL WW2 (Europe) and nothing else :mad: :cry: (it was such a nice time with civ2)
    community made ww2 mods are maybe also good, but if a company like firaxis would make such a scenario it would be way better...
    but maybe they wait for the second expansion :cry:

20. boneys26

boneys26 BTS Play session tester

Does anyone know how warlords will be installed? will it go along with the new units that people have made ? the last thing I want and most others is to have to edit game files all over again to put our custom units back in.:confused: