1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Information -- Finally! (June 3, 2007)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by mjs0, Jun 3, 2007.

1. mjs0

mjs0 The 4th X

Another interview with Alex Mantzaris, dated June 3rd, is a available here: New Interview

I haven't finished reading all of it yet but it looks like it answers many questions.

Some highlights:

Warlords Content: "stuff that impacts game functionality" is in..."assets and codes for the scenarios" is not.

Corporations: Not much new. Clarifies that they turn resources into food, production, commerce or other resources.

Resources: No new resources.

Advisor Screens: Foreign advisor overhauled

Espionage: (Again, some new, some known) Provides visibility into cities, access to demographics, access to power graphs (maybe this means you don't get graphs for free anymore), knowledge of research target.

New wonders, units, buildings etc.:

AI Changes: "Plays like an experienced human player", fewer bonuses needed to compete, better at: military operations including naval invasions, managing economy, and is aware of all new features.

Space Race: Espionage essential to watch progress of opponents spaceship and for sabotaging its construction.

Alpha Centauri II: Firaxis simply does not own the rights

Events: Some simple, some intricate, seem to be mostly for flavour

Scenarios: Not much new, but much kudos to fan participation.

Startup options: Use of any leader-civ combination, Trade away tech only when you research it yourself, choose which religion you get when discovering a technology (I wonder if the AIs have been updated to choose historically accurate religions. Are you listening Isabella?).

Graphics: More polished, no use of DX10 (thank goodness).

Edit: Finished reading and added list of highlights.

2. Vael

Vael Shadow Angel

Your link is broken, you might want to fix that...

Aside from that, thanks. ;)

3. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

Cristo Redenter wonder FTW!

4. mjs0

mjs0 The 4th X

Fixed!
    Sorry about that.

5. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

And the proper link is http://play.tm/story/10816

6. Virulent

Virulent King

Hey they finally answered the Warlords question, it sounds like after BtS comes out Warlords will only be good for the scenarios.

Also Cristo Redenter sounds interesting, useless if you're a Spiritual leader but pretty cool if you're not.

7. Methos

Methos HoF Quattromaster Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Thanks!!!!

8. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

Ah, an option to only trade techs which a civ researched. :goodjob:
    And three new naval units (modern): the Attack Submarine, Missile Cruiser, and Stealth Destroyer.

9. Onagan

Onagan The Dutch

As I read it, it means no Warlords leaders either, so no Brennus, Ragnar & Wang Kon.

10. Thedrin

Thedrin Deity

Glad to here this.

Intelligence Agency sounds like a new national wonder which works in a similar manner to Oxford University and Wall St.

Public transportation, industrial parks (seperating industry from residential areas) and levees (reducing fllod plain affects) all sound like they reduce unhealthiness.

Christo Redentor sounds good. Late game (it was completed in the 1930s) so that it isn't too powerful but very useful for non-spiritual civs.

*phew*

11. Thedrin

Thedrin Deity

He only specified that the scenarios won't be included.

12. Onagan

Onagan The Dutch

I don't think that Leaderheads impacts th core game functionality.

13. sneaky

sneaky Prince

Christo Redentor seems very powerful. It's basically an additional leader trait. And a useful one at it.

14. Thedrin

Thedrin Deity

I assumed that that meant that any gameplay features* in Warlords which are exclusive to scenarios - such as the barbarian scenarios purchase units screen or the Genghis Khan scenario camp unit- won't be included. It would seem a bit odd if the Koreans and Vikings weren't included and that they went to the bother of giving the 1-leader Celts entirely new leaders instead of just passing Brennus on.

*I don't classify leaderheads as features.

15. SkippyT

SkippyT Who?

Are they serious about the Christo Redentor? No anarchy? Then they must change the spiritual trait, don't they?

16. Thedrin

Thedrin Deity

No, they don't have to change it. The earliest that Christo Redentor should appear is in the industrial age. By that time most civics are available so that - while it will be powerful, - it won't be anywhere near as powerful as the no anarchy offered through spiritual which has been active for the entire game. And only one non-spiritual civ (at most) can build it in any one game.

17. Virulent

Virulent King

I'm pretty sure Christo Redentor will be available fairly late in the game so Spiritual will still be quite relevant. Also Spiritual still gets the cheap temples which is useful in the early part of the game. There are still going to be plenty good reasons to play as a Spiritual leader.

Heck a Spiritual leader might want to build Christo Redentor just to deny it to the non-Spiritual leaders.

18. Danielos

Danielos Emperor

Im disappointed that the future stuff would not be included in the main game. Also, it pisses me that the pirates from Civ 1-2 are still missing. Bring them back!!

Otherwise, it seems very promising...

19. Thunderfall

Thunderfall Administrator Administrator Moderator

That's correct. Only the scenario stuff from Warlords are not included.

I suppose if Firaxis really wants to make a sequel to Alpha Centauri, they can just call it something else, just like the recently released Supreme Commander. ;) People consider it the sequel to Total Annihilation even though the name is different.

20. Paideia

Paideia Warlord

I couldn't agree more. No sudden spread of new techs to all my opponents, but rather based on the diplomatic situation of whoever researched it.. This and the effect of Christo Redentor are to me the best things revealed in that interview. :D