1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Launcher is awful

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by AlexandriaWolf, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Myomoto

Myomoto King

Launchers are usually there to promote DLC or additional content that's for sale.

Now why would 2K bother to put out a fresh new launcher out of the blue? Are they planning to promote some new Civ content soon? :think:

2. InsidiousMage

InsidiousMage Prince

Could be a new game for another series. There are some articles from a couple of years ago about 2K wanting Firaxis to develop a third IP or it could be a new X-Com game.

3. 7daysofwar

7daysofwar Chieftain

When I start the launcher, on the top of the page, there is a thing called store (well "winkel" but it is probarly because I put my settings on Dutch). You can seer the civ DLC there but they also sell their "mafia" games there. So they might just want to sell all the 2K games in the same place.

4. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

There's other games on there. Might not even pertain to Civ. This launcher is definitely garbage though. Never saw one delay starting a game this much. Civ VI already takes a while to load.

5. konokoni

konokoni Chieftain

I had to use the launcher bypass, I couldn't even get the game to start yesterday. Without the launcher it runs fine.

I thought about bypassing the launcher when they first... launched... it a few years back, but since it didn't cause issues I didn't bother at the time.

It's annoying how it's never enough; even after you buy the game they still want to force advertisements down your throat. Then, in doing so, they manage to break the thing that you've paid honest money for. A complete waste of time and effort all around.

6. Gedemo

Gedemo Cacique

Loading, please wait...

SammyKhalifa likes this.
  7. KayAU

KayAU King

For an example of a launcher which does something else than annoy the player, check out the one used by Stellaris. I love that one, because it has a big "Resume game" button at the bottom, which takes me straight into the game I was playing. No intro animations, studio/publisher animations, or menu navigation...just straight into the game where I left it. That's the proper use of a launcher.

Abaxial and Socrates99 like this.
  8. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

It also breaks the Steam link that will take you straight to your new turn in MP PBC game.

9. Miserable Old Git

Miserable Old Git Chieftain

I don't mind the adverts (my brain has a well developed "Ignore" button). I most certainly DO mind the terrible response times when returning to a game, and the frequent "not responding" window crashes.

I've now done the launcher bypass trick, which mercifully seems to work. I'm only early-game, though, so I've not really put it to the test. Will monitor.

Even like this, of course, Civ VI has ALWAYS taken forever to load a game.

10. canadamufc

canadamufc Chieftain

Too late for them. Maybe if they hadn't given out a broken launcher then maybe I wouldn't have discovered a bypass that completely avoided it. No reason to turn it off now, it works like a charm.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    MrRadar, Wellfooled and nzcamel like this.
  11. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

I haven't turned it off ever since I found the hack. Has always worked like a charm. But I fear these geniuses will now try to make the hack void... hopefully they can't.

12. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

Well, I can't enable or disable mods now.

EDIT: Disabled the launcher, works fine. Corporate greed, always great for the end user.

13. Galvatron

Galvatron Prince

Yeah I had that issue too

14. Gedemo

Gedemo Cacique

15. bitula

bitula Prince

Yesterday's patch fixed launcher for me. I was not able to start the game (the launcher never appeared) before the fix. Hopefully they wont make another fix, I'm afraid that will break this fix...

16. aieeegrunt

aieeegrunt Prince

Glorious post millenial capitalism at work here

Just shovel poorly coded garbage out the door, because QA might cut into profits, and shove adds down people’s throats because that might increase profits

It’s like business execs watch movies like Ready Player One and want to RP as the bad guys

Meanwhile on console all of my crashing and freezing issues disappeared with this update

Is there some sort of Conservation Of Bugginess thing at work here? Fixing crashes on console meant now the PC version gets them?

Myomoto and Galvatron like this.
  17. Galvatron

Galvatron Prince

You've heard about how Michael Douglas was disturbed by the amount of 'fan mail' he recieves from people who think Gordon Gecko was there protagonist, right?

Myomoto likes this.
  18. Myomoto

Myomoto King

It also let's you configure a package of mods to load the game with, i.e. do you wish to launch the normal game, or your modded total conversions, etc.

KayAU likes this.
  19. Kwami

Kwami Deity

Thankfully, that's built into Civ VI proper so that I can bypass the launcher. I hope that they don't regress for Civ VII and put that sort of thing into the launcher like Paradox does.

nzcamel likes this.
  20. Kwami

Kwami Deity

Another patch ~70MB. Is it just another launcher update?