New Launcher

Hi,

Today Firaxis updated Civ 5 with a new launcher. It seems the only option that it provides is DirectX 9.

Launching with DirectX 9, my in-game graphics are horribly glitched (the map is black, icons and HUD are "smearing").

What's the deal? How can I make the launcher use DirectX 10/11 like it used to? Civ 5 has become unplayable for me because of this.

Screenshot of said problem:
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....587/B36A111400C4547F6FC24FE13D7925D96E3082AA/
^^^ This is with the drop-down menu "open". There are no other options available besides DX9.

Does that work for you? The drop down menu is empty for me as shown in the screenshot I posted.

I hate launchers. Why do they have to impose their experiments on everybody? I don't want the launcher, not for civ5 nor for civ 6... couldn't they make it optional? FXS at its best, again... :rolleyes:

Wasting money and time in a stupid launcher, instead of using said resources in improving the stupid (literally) AI...

I hate launchers. Why do they have to impose their experiments on everybody? I don't want the launcher, not for civ5 nor for civ 6... couldn't they make it optional? FXS at its best, again... :rolleyes:

Wasting money and time in a stupid launcher, instead of using said resources in improving the stupid (literally) AI...
I'm being That Guy as usual, but the same person isn't likely to be responsible for both, and it's not as simple (not specifically aimed at you, just a general pre-empting of replies) as firing whoever would write something like this and hiring an AI-focused programmer.

Full uninstall/reinstall and it's working now... Vox Populi mod was unaffected.

I'm being That Guy as usual, but the same person isn't likely to be responsible for both, and it's not as simple (not specifically aimed at you, just a general pre-empting of replies) as firing whoever would write something like this and hiring an AI-focused programmer.

I know, but the point still stands... they are using resources for something completely useless and likely unwanted (and apparently, as usual, bugged), instead of pouring them into something really lacking...

Resources aren't as simply-allocated as that. AI is a hard problem to "solve". That's all I've got, I don't want to derail more than I have, sorry. There are a number of reports on Steam about issues with the launcher as well, so hopefully they get picked up fast :)

Resources aren't as simply-allocated as that. AI is a hard problem to "solve". That's all I've got, I don't want to derail more than I have, sorry. There are a number of reports on Steam about issues with the launcher as well, so hopefully they get picked up fast :)

Still, that was just one of many examples on where to put resources before a "launcher"... say a much-needed patch?

Hi,

Today Firaxis updated Civ 5 with a new launcher. It seems the only option that it provides is DirectX 9.

Launching with DirectX 9, my in-game graphics are horribly glitched (the map is black, icons and HUD are "smearing").

What's the deal? How can I make the launcher use DirectX 10/11 like it used to? Civ 5 has become unplayable for me because of this.

Screenshot of said problem:
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....587/B36A111400C4547F6FC24FE13D7925D96E3082AA/
^^^ This is with the drop-down menu "open". There are no other options available besides DX9.

I had the same problem. I was using 4K resolution monitor. I changed it to 1920X1080 and it allowed me to pick the correct version. Then I exited the game. Put my monitor back in 4K and started the game again. It kept my DirectX version that I picked.

Civ VI launcher crashed the first time I used it.

I had no problem with the launcher working or selecting the type of directx. The game also works fine without using any mods. However, if I choose to use the mods, the area at the bottom left of the screen where you select actions for the unit is blank. Also the active unit is not highlighted. I can click on a unit and move it. I did an uninstall and re-installed the game and that did not correct the problem. Using Windows 10 professional.

Apparently 2k is aware of the directx selection launcher problem and has a workaround posted in the support section

Last edited:
I had no problem with the launcher working or selecting the type of directx. The game also works fine without using any mods. However, if I choose to use the mods, the area at the bottom left of the screen where you select actions for the unit is blank. Also the active unit is not highlighted. I can click on a unit and move it. I did an uninstall and re-installed the game and that did not correct the problem. Using Windows 10 professional.

Apparently 2k is aware of the directx selection launcher problem and has a workaround posted in the support section

I use Mods and have not had this difficulty. Maybe it is only one of the mods? (I have had this difficulty before the launcer and needed to restart the game to get it right).

Once I have selected Direct X the launcher seems to remember the selection. The whole redesign seems unnecessary to me.

I use Mods and have not had this difficulty. Maybe it is only one of the mods? (I have had this difficulty before the launcer and needed to restart the game to get it right).

Once I have selected Direct X the launcher seems to remember the selection. The whole redesign seems unnecessary to me.
I agree with the unnecessary redesign. We are stuck with installing it. I will disable all the mods and see what happens and then start adding them one at a time. tHANKS FOR THE SUGGESTION

Additional update. The problem mod is Rome - SCipio Africanus

Last edited:
I agree with the unnecessary redesign. We are stuck with installing it. I will disable all the mods and see what happens and then start adding them one at a time. tHANKS FOR THE SUGGESTION

Additional update. The problem mod is Rome - SCipio Africanus

I was in the middle of typing a list of the mods I had- saved me a bit of a job :)

Hello :)

I have the same problem with civ V SDK : I can't launch WorldBuilder anymore whereas I can launch the game and ModBuddy for example. :confused:

If you guys have any suggestion... ^^

Still, that was just one of many examples on where to put resources before a "launcher"... say a much-needed patch?

i'm in agreement with you in general, about new launchers, if there is no new need, for one,

but what he means, is that when things like backward compatibility, or other as-they-emerge , problems, happen,
there are people ALREADY, employed, so although it can seem like the company is intending to bring something new, to everyone, and i know, i know, the advertising uses wordage like "for you" ...

agh!

... but that it's sometimes actually for those already experiencing problems,
... and someone in a already paid position, is simply asked to do something that's a part of their job ALREADY.

in this case maybe not, might just be advertising... :mad:

but when there are people in a position already, in a job already, to be making changes like that for both, it might not be spending more money, it might only be using someone already paid for / already spent upon.

------------------

i know exactly what you mean tho, that was my reaction too... there's nothing wrong with mine, i didn't need this.

so you're BOTH right, but only partially, since both your arguments, only partially apply, to only SOME, people, but not others, and depending on whether or not it's advertising / a real need.

facebook's lost it's respectability, for instance, after that personal info MIS-use scandal.
tsk tsk, firaxis.

was there really a need?

----------------

i could not agree with you more, that an OPTIONAL download, optional update, or even separate program to run, if some do need one, for whatever reason, is a better format / distribution idea.

you still need to do whatever programming for whatever the need is,
but everyone else can continue on, un-interrrupted / un-disturbed.

Top Bottom