1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] New Leaks (new civ Cree, new alt leader Chandragupta Maurya of India)

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by xxhe, Dec 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

He might be called Mistahi-maskwa.

2. chronoturner

chronoturner Chieftain

He might be called Mistahi-maskea, yeah. Or they just call him Big Bear. Either way, it could work, I think. He might be called both.
    Either way, he's the leader I'm seeing for the Cree.

3. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Emperor

Cree's UI?
    SmartSelectImage_2017-12-24-16-32-39.png

4. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

Isn't this one more time when Chinese 2k Games division does silly leak? :p

Siptah likes this.
  5. Hakan-i Cihan

Hakan-i Cihan Emperor

I have a feeling that this "leak" is a replacement for the videos with hints due to christmas and new year. Also solving the hints for the Cree would probably too difficult for most of us. Additionally the leak is noticed by someone who posts here for the first time.

DeepKing likes this.
  6. Rajendran

Rajendran Chieftain

Chandragupta Maurya would be a great choice for Indian Civ instead of Gandhi.

7. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

There's no overarching Aboriginal group that encompassed much of Australia as far as I know (even the larger cultural groups covered only parts of a single modern state), and I don't think Aboriginal traditions retain information on individual historical leaders (probably as a consequence of a cultural aversion to naming dead people) or their accomplishments. What's more, given that cultural aversion it's unlikely the developers would get permission from Aboriginal groups to include a named leader (such as those known from European records) in the game if approached.

If they had to represent Australia - which they didn't - the modern state is a more appropriate way to treat it than using an indigenous group, but neither is a very good option.

Zaarin likes this.
  8. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

This is the #1 reason in my opinion India needed a leader above all else. While it's a historical civ joke, I worry the representation of gandhi may be a bit disrespectful of Indian culture. So I'm happy to see a leader to really highlight Indian culture and who actually lead the nation officially. I also think the nuke agenda should be taken off gandhi, and his 2nd trait be random.

As for Teddy, he's fine as America's leader. He's not among the top 5 Presidents in my opinion, but a solid choice. Would I love to see another, of course. I really loved this feature of Civ4. While someone above said it wasn't important to them, I would like to see more. I'm curious to how many resources are needed to make a 2nd leader. The art would be the most time consuming I'd imagine. I would love for there to be as many 2nd leaders in this game as in Civ4. I'd love to see Elizabeth or Churchill for England, Lincoln or FDR for America, Lenin or Stalin for Russia (controversial I know, but I think I prefer them over Cathy), Napoleon for France (he was always popular in Civ 4 :) ), Bismark for Germany, Isabella for Spain, a 2nd China leader (I don't really know their leaders enough to suggest a name, Mao might be a bit controversial), Augustus for Rome, I'm sure I'm missing some, that's all I can think of for the moment. You can see my love for Civ 4 here.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    nzcamel, Meluhhan and Rajendran like this.
  9. marius_kaparius

marius_kaparius Warlord

10. liv

liv Emperor

Second day for mourning the loss of Canada for civ. I felt we were close there for a minute.

But Cree is a good addition. I hope they have some nice abilities and are fun to play.

11. Arianrhod

Arianrhod Warlord

I'm honestly not sure why America's under discussion for an alt leader.

It would be one thing if they interpreted 'dynamic personality' as, for example, Andrew Jackson (who's very fascinating but very flawed, with the flawed part being more heavily emphasized in recent years) or Richard Nixon (who would be a potentially fun leader to go against and possibly even to play as, but would be an almost universally poorly received representative for one of the largest playerbases); in those cases you'd definitely want another leader to satisfy people who'd get upset over them (which would probably be Washington since he could have a different capital.)

But Teddy's pretty innocuous and I don't see most people having a serious problem with him. If the worst thing about him is that he isn't a "top 5" president, I'd hardly call that a deal breaker when we have 44 of them and almost a fifth of them would make good, fun, or interesting-to-see-or-play-as leader choices for one reason or another.

12. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

I would never have imagined the Cree might make it into a Civ game considering how they're so overshadowed in popular culture by the more famous US-related nations, but I can't begin to say how happy I am that they're in. Much as I used to support a Canada civ (and I still do), if we get only one civ to fill the great white north, I'd much rather it be the Cree than Canada. It is a much more fitting choice, and one that much better reflect the broad history of the region.

Ahhhh, actually, no. Both Australia and Canada achieved gradual independance by cutting off bits by bits British colonial authority - but every step of the way Canada was ahead of Australia. 1867 vs 1901 (Dominionhood), 1931 vs 1942 retroactive to 1939 (implementation of the statute of Westminster and legislative independence), 1949 vs 1961 (termination of judicial appeals to the privy council, so judicial independence), and 1982 vs 1986 (Elimination of the last holdovers of British colonial authority* and full independence - the Australian supreme court itself dates full Australian independence to 3/3/86)

Craig_Sutter likes this.
  13. God of Kings

Not just that, but Canada's formal name was changed from Dominion of Canada to simply Canada in 1982. The name Dominion of Canada is still the official name, just only internally.

14. pgm123

pgm123 Emperor

Especially since the aggregate rankings of Presidents puts him at #4. In terms of dealing with other civs, he's one of the most active and influential Presidents in U.S. history.

nzcamel likes this.
  15. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

Teddy was a great choice and I don't think America needs an alt at all. Perhaps some people think his LUA isn't good? Which I also don't understand. It's perfectly fine.

Zaarin, nzcamel and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  16. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

Not exactly true. Dominion of Canada remains a valid legal title for the country, just one that has fallen out of usage, while Canada alone has been a valid name for the country since 1867 (section 4 of the 1867 British North America act, today the Constitution Act of 1867), but only became more common post-war, and replaced Dominion completely in official use in the 80s (starting, yes, with the constitution act in 82)

God of Kings likes this.
  17. God of Kings

I have amended my post.

18. CanuckSoldier

CanuckSoldier Emperor

Dominion of Canada stopped being used on currency in 1935....shortly after the Supreme Court was formed. I'd say at least defacto that is when we started calling ourselves just Canada

CS

19. evanaurora

evanaurora Warlord

I have some pretty serious objections to his leadership, but I have those with... most US presidents. Comes with living in the place. The entire "big stick" agenda sums up my objections pretty succinctly; Teddy was an imperialist warmonger, the North American continent was not our divine right, and the Spanish-American war was insanely terrible.

I say this only to point out that terming him "innocuous" politically is, to put it mildly, a misnomer. At least in my assessment. That said, assessing civ leaders' presence in the games in terms of my own political leanings isn't something I'm interested in. I have a bit of an issue with how Teddy's ability seems to be based a lot in stomach churning things about his political legacy, national parks aside, but I'm not going to get too worked up about it. I think it'd be extremely gross if a 20th century fascist was uncritically put into the game, but that's about the extent I'm willing to take my politics into my civ playing.

And I agree that America is hardly the most urgent problem that could be solved with an alternate leader. Egypt seems to be next in line, now that the most egregious case of India has been finally remedied.

Craig_Sutter and Uberfrog like this.
  20. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

So here are my thoughts:
    To me with the introduction of the Cree, Canada to me does seem less likely now. They fill in several boxes.
    1. New geography (Fills up Canada)
    2. Native Americans/ First Nations
    3. Nomadic Tribe (based off of Plains Cree with the improvement)
    This might be the answer to the problem of filling up a geographical space without adding actual Canada, but the major indigenous population.
    At the same time I think we will not get another Plains tribe in the future like the Sioux and Shoshone for that matter. If we get another tribe it would be one of the following
    1. Iroquois could still be a possibility.
    2. Navajo or Hopi for Southwest.
    3. Cherokee or Southeastern U.S. tribe

Also glad we are getting a Classical Era Indian leader to lead those War Elephants. Hope Jainism comes in as well as a religion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.