1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New let's play

Discussion in 'Multiplayer and LP's' started by Alfapiomega, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Alfapiomega

Alfapiomega Chieftain

Hello Everyone,

my (nick)name is Alfapiomega and despite being fairly new to the forums I have been lurking here in the past for quite some time. I really like Caveman2Cosmos mod (I managed to miss that one before) and decided some time in the past to make an LP of this one.
    However most of the ones I saw on Youtube have ended in ragequit or were abandoned by their hosts. So I turn to you, my friends, to ask for advice on how to set things up to make it as much fun for you to watch as for me to play and to manage to somehow lead this on towards a successful end. Before you mention that I DO have a lot of experience with long playthroughs (EU3, EU4, Civ5, Warlock 2 are all not short game and are finished or will be finished on my channel).

Things I already know that I want:
    - Huge map
    - 20 Civs or more (how much would be ideal?)
    - slowest research speed
    - passable mountains/advanced economy/advanced culture spread

The rest I haven't really tested that much so I appreciate your advice. Also ask me anything about me or the campaign so that we can figure stuff out!

And of course thanks to all of you who do take time to let me know (even in great detail) what to expect or do :)

2. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

3. Alfapiomega

Alfapiomega Chieftain

Thank you for your reply! :)

I read through the mentioned thread several times when I was playing my first games but there are some inherent unsolved questions still lingering about. But what I really wanted to know to be honest was what you guys would go for if looking for a challenging, good LP. Or is there anything you would like to see in an LP? For example I could go (and this is one thing I am pondering) with tiny islands map and have naval warfare as a core of the game. Or I could try to survive on a desert/arctic map. Sorry for not making it clear in the first post.

4. GiuseppeIII

GiuseppeIII The Third Giuseppe

My preferred map is perfect world 2... also if you do decide to use the slowest speed be warned it is s-u-p-e-r s-l-o-w. Finally, even with only 20 civs unless you have some sorta super computer with an amazing signle core cpu you will probably start to get massive slowdowns.

Edit: If you do decide to go on a desert/arctic map turn terrain damage off or else all your units will gt massacred.

5. MagnusIlluminus

MagnusIlluminus Emperor

As much as you said you'd prefer 20+ civs to start, I'd recommend half that or less at the start. Mainly for performance reasons, and also as Barbarian cities grow they will turn into new civs, so your number of civs will grow throughout the game.

If you do try an Islands game, perhaps try playing as one of the 'Pirate' factions. Could be good for a laugh, and they do have their own unit graphics for many units.

6. Alfapiomega

Alfapiomega Chieftain

I saw that the slowups can be a though I don't have any context. I have quad 3.8Ghz processor with 8GB ram. How bad would that be? Regarding the speed - I am OK with it. I hope for some long periods of technological stagnation (I hate obsolete units to be honest).

Yeah I figured that would be bad to have on. Though on the other hand... Does AI avoid this? Because it could be an interesting feature. I am unsure though if it gets better over time with new technologies?

7. Alfapiomega

Alfapiomega Chieftain

There is a setting for that, correct? Is it the one where barbarian starts with cities for each player race? Or is that another one?

Also If I wanted to go for smallest islands possible would that be a Islands/a lot of extra islands with high sea levels or is there a better one to make that happen? I tested the islands and it seems like there is always at least three civs per island on gigantic/20 civs...

8. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Gigantic map size has been discontinued in C2C because it is unplayable at the moment.

9. MagnusIlluminus

MagnusIlluminus Emperor

While there is a game option (in the Create Custom Game window) for 'Barbarian World' (I think that's the name of it) that makes one starting Barbarian city per civ at game start, that is not the function I was thinking of. What I said above is just a basic game function, but there may be an option to turn it off. It's been a while since I started a new game, so I'm not certain about that.

Unfortunately, I have not played with the Islands map types myself, as I prefer large continents. The best thing I can say would be to play around with the map types as some map types have more options than others do. I would also guess that having a smaller map would result in smaller islands, and fewer opponents (initially) would mean fewer per island. Good luck with that.

10. Alfapiomega

Alfapiomega Chieftain

Just to clarify - is it the size of the map or is it the amount of Civs? What would be the biggest one you can get that is playable till the end? As mentioned I have a quad core 3.8GHZ processor with some 8GB of RAM.

11. Alfapiomega

Alfapiomega Chieftain

That might be true! :)

I was also looking at a possibility of some extreme conditions (frozen/desert planet) but can't find any. Do you have any experience with that as long as you set up a continent?

12. GiuseppeIII

GiuseppeIII The Third Giuseppe

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you...

I have a i7 3770k, 16 gigs of ram, and a 7970. so a similar setup to yours as far as I can tell and I get massive slowdowns. This problem is being fixed, albeit slowly, so soon it will probably be a breeze to play with 20 civs but right now I suggest to play with a smaller amount of civs.

If you do decide to play with 20 civs you could also just edit out the wait time and then record over your playing.

13. Harrier

Harrier Deity

The problem is, no matter how new or fast or how much memory your computer has, that is irrelevant.

Civilization 4 is an old 32 bit system game. So only works in the constraints of the technolegy available when it was made.

The core part of the game is not available to modders to update, so can not be changed to run efficiently on current PCs.