New Lord of the Rings scenario: "Moria"

Originally posted by frunobulax

I've only been playing on Deity level, but I also had the non-appearing units problem, especially in Lothlorien after 'attacking' Galadriel... a nice little elven boat appears on the Anduin but no Fellowship !

uhm... that is supposed to happend ;)

(SNIP...) it froze... :( :confused: ...this always happens when the 'black' AI-civ is moving (forget which 'nation' this is... one of the unused/hidden ones...? I just see the black coloured square bottom right of screen etc...) Any ideas what's happening here ?

BTW I'm using a Mac version of ROTK that I converted today. (Henrik... you're the only other Mac Civ'er I know, did you get this problem ??)
I've no clue what that's about - I know nothing about Macs and have never used one. Please don't hold me responsible. :confused:

(Snip...)Would it be anything to do with this 'timed events' business I wonder ?? And how does that work anyway.... ??
Nope! The first timed event isn't set off until much later in the game. I could tell you how it works but then I'd have to shoot you. ;)

Aside from this major problem, the new mountain terrain graphics are most splendid !
A compliment! I knew I must have done something right!

(Snip...) It would also be nice to have customised icons for the Tech Tree (a minor thing I know, since there's no realistic option for research in this scenario).
You talked yourself out of that one. :p

Also, how come there's no theme music ?
I went with the sound of silence. It's lovely and I'm proud of it.
Seriously, I did think hard and long about that and decided against it. There are a lot of people out there who still have sub 56k modems. The download time for a long theme tune would be awful.

Anyway, many congratulations FF on another great new scenario.... I just hope I can get it to work.... :)
Thanks.

Originally posted by Arthedain

uhm... that is supposed to happend ;)

Thanks.
Originally I had the Fellowship unit climb into the boat. But I realised that you could jump out of the boat at Rauros and then send the boat into the clue and thus get both the Fellowship unit and all the heroes too! That's why I decided on culling the Fellowship unit in Lothlorien.
I knew that I should have put a few little fellowship pixels in the boat unit. Then I thought, "Nah! There's no need. Everyone will get it"
...Oops!

Originally posted by Noldodan
Err, I have another 2 gripes, sorry. I fixed the Frodo problem by just getting the clue a turn later. My current gripe is that its too EASY! ALL the Mordor units stay on the East side of the Anduin and don't attack even when I take Morgul! The other thing is that Frodo never reappears, because the unit thats supposed to trigger the event never BOTHERS going to 4, just keepsmoving bak and forth, even with the goto order! Sorry about this, but thats just my 2 cents.

Oh... All I can say is that it never happened to me. Mordor always attacked - always. Never known it not to.
The only way that the timer wouldn't work is if somehow Mordor had made peace with the targeted non-playing government. And Mordor can't negotiate with anyone - I made sure of that in the event file.
Once again, all I can say is... it didn't happen to me.

Maybe, for some bizarre reason the event file didn't load. :confused:

Originally posted by FavouredFlight

I went with the sound of silence. It's lovely and I'm proud of it.
Seriously, I did think hard and long about that and decided against it. There are a lot of people out there who still have sub 56k modems. The download time for a long theme tune would be awful.

How about an optional theme tune for us broad boys? Modem users need not apply...[punch] It would enhance the playing experience.

So, I played all the game with one sitting. It was wonderful! :D Everything worked for me and I didn't noticed any bugs. And I won just one turn before the scenario's end! Actually this was the only thing that I didn't like - I don't want to win scenarios in my first try (and of course I played on Deity).

Saruman's attack was great but should be stronger. None of my Rohan cities were in real danger. Sauron's offensive against Minas Tirith was powerful and in few times I thought that I'm going to lose the city. But it held out and when I managed to get 4 rangers there all problems were over.

I loved the huge battle between Minas Tirith and Minas Morgul. Such fine open-space battles are rare thing in Civ2. I lost virtually all my heroes except hobbits during the battle. But they did their job and helped Frodo to reach Morgul Pass :)

I like if you could make the scenario a bit more difficult:

It was very easy to take Isengard with ents. I would like to see a harder battle.
Mordor units should have stronger attack. They were almost helpless against my rangers in Minas Tirith. Or even better if you take out all barracks from Free People's cities and don't let player to build them. Barracks heal fortified units in cities with one turn and this makes cities too easy to defend.
Frodo&Sam's journey towards the Mount Doom was too safe. They didn't meet any danger (except near Minas Morgul). Few strong Mordor units wandering around can create much atmosphere! Also when they reached to Morgul's Pass then the game was won because there weren't many enemy units in Mordor.

But overall very good scenario and I enjoyed it much. The mountains were beautiful and the "timed events" concept very innovative :goodjob:

I went with the sound of silence. It's lovely and I'm proud of it. Seriously, I did think hard and long about that and decided against it. There are a lot of people out there who still have sub 56k modems. The download time for a long theme tune would be awful.
I knew that I should have put a few little fellowship pixels in the boat unit. Then I thought, "Nah! There's no need. Everyone will get it"
I didn't :blush:, but thought that might be the case, so kept playing anyway. Some indication that the fellowship is actually on the boat might be helpful.

Marko lost Prince of Darkness and I won; looks like our fortunes are reversed. I'm afraid I'm about to lose Edoras (sp?). Only one warrior left and two or three trolls (though all damaged) sitting outside with a few other Isengard units. (I'm really learning to loathe trolls :mad: ) Minas Tirith is holding, but without Edoras, the future of this game is in serious jeapardy.

One final nitpick: I sent a unit from Calembel North to support Rohan, but it couldn't get through, even though there is a road there! If you have blocks between sections you might want to let us know, or at least don't include a road so it looks passable.

Overall, really enjoying this scenario. Graphics are fantastic, and the action is great. Almost constant attacks from Osgiliath and against Pelargir. I'm sure I'll be playing again as soon as I lose this game :(

Update to my Mac 'freeze' situation...

I got it all working now - it's great !! No idea what was causing the crash/freeze problem before, but now it's fine... managing to hold Minas Tirith against troll attacks (the worst), and the Ents are marching on Isengard.... :goodjob:

You reminded me. My game occasionaly "hangs" when the "black" player is moving, but have not yet had it actually freeze so I had to restart. Maybe it just seems like it's hanging 'cause I don't actually see any units moving?

Update to my Mac 'freeze' situation...

I got it all working now - it's great !! No idea what was causing the crash/freeze problem before, but now it's fine... managing to hold Minas Tirith against troll attacks (the worst), and the Ents are marching on Isengard.... :goodjob:

Glad to hear you're able to play it now.
I knew it wasn't me. It was that crazy Mac :crazyeye:

The first time I played, I loaded the Fellowship-unit on the boat, and then went away, not realising I didn't had to do it.
But the Fellowship-unit didn't get killed, so I had to put it asleep in the middle of the Anduin. :)

Yop

My daughter's gotten through two games of RotK now (on 'Hobbit' level :rolleyes: ; hey, she's only 12 ;) ) and has had the same problem both games: When Frodo/Sam attack the clue mark on the way into Mordor, she gets the message from the clue, then the Frodo/Sam unit disappears! Is this related to the disappearing unit problem I've read about? Or is this possibly a different issue, as it was the same unit at the same point in the game both times. Rather frustrating to get that far in the game and then not be able to finish. she has played on, even past the time limit for the scenario, and it never reappears.

Originally posted by Leowind
My daughter's gotten through two games of RotK now (on 'Hobbit' level :rolleyes: ; hey, she's only 12 ;) ) and has had the same problem both games: When Frodo/Sam attack the clue mark on the way into Mordor, she gets the message from the clue, then the Frodo/Sam unit disappears! Is this related to the disappearing unit problem I've read about?

Nope.

Or is this possibly a different issue, as it was the same unit at the same point in the game both times. Rather frustrating to get that far in the game and then not be able to finish. she has played on, even past the time limit for the scenario, and it never reappears.

This is related to the relative timers I created for the scenario. It's supposed to happen. Just bear with it. A new Frodo and Sam unit (minus that scoundrel Gollum!) appears just inside Gorgoroth after a few turns. This is to signify the time they spent in the Spider's tunnels and the Tower of Cirith Ungol.
If you have your speakers switched on you'll hear Sam singing an elven song to denote their reappearance.

Hope that helps. :)

I wondered about that, but my daughter has played on quite a ways past that point (she fully explored the NE region and captured every Mordor city) and they never reappeared. Two possibilities I can think of. 1) Aragorn never visited the path of the dead and (more likely) 2) it was after the end of the scenario.

Now, an FYI possible bug. I started a second game and the fellowship did NOT disappear when meeting Galadriel. The elven boat appears, and I sent it South, got the various members, etc., but the fellowship has been wandering around the forests of Lothlorien killing orcs and goblins and whatnot from Moria. It hasn't really effected the game any, so I'm just kind of having fun with it, but I seem to remember someone else doing the same thing. Might not be such an isolated incident after all.

Originally posted by Leowind
I wondered about that, but my daughter has played on quite a ways past that point (she fully explored the NE region and captured every Mordor city) and they never reappeared. Two possibilities I can think of. 1) Aragorn never visited the path of the dead and (more likely) 2) it was after the end of the scenario.

1. Paths of the Dead wont affect it.
2. Maybe? I'm not sure if events are ignored after the end of scenario has occured.

Now, an FYI possible bug. I started a second game and the fellowship did NOT disappear when meeting Galadriel. The elven boat appears, and I sent it South, got the various members, etc., but the fellowship has been wandering around the forests of Lothlorien killing orcs and goblins and whatnot from Moria.

Good for them... that's what I say. :)

It hasn't really effected the game any, so I'm just kind of having fun with it, but I seem to remember someone else doing the same thing. Might not be such an isolated incident after all.

Yes, it can happen that the Fellowship unit isn't always killed by the - Galadriel creates a boat - event. I tried to nail that down but it just kept slipping away from me. Darned hard to do, considering Civ2 sometimes let's it go and sometimes doesn't. I just thought, "Well, what's the worsed thing that could happen? The player can have fun with a unit in Lorien killing orcs and Goblins from Moria".
I'll have a look at that one for the (eventual) update, but I'm not promising I can fix it.

Yahoo! Finally some time off to play some Civ2 scenarios. I'm downloading it now -seeing those graphics alone makes it worthwhile- :)

Top Bottom