New MacBook Pros Announced!

Sadly, their video cards are not supported--Intel Iris 540 or Iriss 550.

What configuration did you order?

15-inch Space Grey
• 2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz
• 1TB PCIe-based SSD
• Radeon Pro 460 with 4GB memory

I bumped the processor and graphics card because it has to last me another five years and the cost (accounting for the already high base cost) was relatively minimal.

Also was able to order pretty quick. While my web browser slowed to a crawl on the Apple.com store, the Apple Store app on my iPad launched immediately after the event and I had my order in by 2:28 PM (at least that was when the confirmation email came in, so a minute or two earlier probably).

Next step, hack together a Mod to use the Touch Bar for Civ ;-)

I just did a quick look at the specs--I did not realize that you could bump the graphics card. Apple mentioned that memory could be bumped but said nothing about upping the graphics.

What does everyone think about the new MB Pro?

Just out of interest the 2 graphic cards on offer on the 15inch - Radeon Pro 455 and Radeon Pro 460 (+£90 more).

Are both graphic cards very powerful? Could they both handle Civ 6 with ease?

Also is there really any difference between the two... I mean could you even notice a difference of is it just the case of upgrading because in the grand scheme of things £90 isn't very much.

I've been waiting a long time to upgrade my Macbook Pro however I wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts as to whether the high price genuinely justifies the hardware users are getting? I am not a technical guy so I apologise for my ignorance in advance but is the new MB Pro genuinely very powerful?

I am conflicted. I have been a mac user for a long time. I have been playing Civ V quite comfortably on a 2011 MB Pro 15". I have been waiting for the new Macbook Pro models to upgrade, however the pricing is putting me off.
The only computer game I'll play is Civ VI. Will I be able to play it comfortably on the new base model? Or should I consider switching back to Microsoft?

Edit:
My budget limits me to the 13 inch model without toucbar. I will opt for the memory upgrade (16gb).
Will it still play ok on this setup?

Last edited:
£2699 to buy a MacBook pro that is up to spec to play civ6. The price levels they have set for these new models is ridiculous.

Sadly, their video cards are not supported--Intel Iris 540 or Iriss 550.

That's the 13" models. Definitely don't buy one of them for Civ6 (or gaming in general). The 15" models also have a AMD Radeon Pro which are good enough for Civ6.

15-inch Space Grey
• 2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz
• 1TB PCIe-based SSD
• Radeon Pro 460 with 4GB memory

Same as what I'm (probably) getting, except for the SSD. I'll get the 512GB instead because I simply can't justify how much Apple are charging for the larger ones. If I run out of space I'll use external storage.

Just out of interest the 2 graphic cards on offer on the 15inch - Radeon Pro 455 and Radeon Pro 460 (+£90 more).

Are both graphic cards very powerful? Could they both handle Civ 6 with ease?

These MBPs are first machines they've appeared in so it's too early to know for sure. Spec comparisons with other available laptop GPUs suggest they're fairly mediocre though. Massive improvement over all existing MBPs but not as good as existing iMacs.

Also is there really any difference between the two... I mean could you even notice a difference of is it just the case of upgrading because in the grand scheme of things £90 isn't very much.

I would definitely get the upgrade to the 460. Of all the upgrades available for the 15", it's easily the best (relative) value for money. ~30% faster and it has 4GB VRAM, the others only have 2GB.

I've been waiting a long time to upgrade my Macbook Pro however I wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts as to whether the high price genuinely justifies the hardware users are getting? I am not a technical guy so I apologise for my ignorance in advance but is the new MB Pro genuinely very powerful?

No. They are powerful for a laptop so thin, impressively so, but there are more powerful laptops out there that are much cheaper. With Mac, we've always paid a premium for superior OS, hardware/software integration, etc. Most of us Mac users will agree that it's worth it. But with this latest release, Apple have declared we are to pay an additional premium for thinness and 'experience', even in the Pro line. Not just in terms of dollars, but in terms of missed opportunity for more power. Whether that's worth it is a lot more divisive.

Personally I think the new 15" MBPs are fantastic. They're powerful enough for me, I like the new touch bar, and I'm not losing any ports I care about. But they are overpriced, painfully so. I'm probably still going to buy one because I desperately need an upgrade (not just for Civ6) and I'm too invested in the Mac ecosystem to jump ship right now. But if Apple continues on this trajectory, it may well be my last Mac.

Thank you for your feedback, but this is for the new 15" model. I have edited my post to highlight that the new 15" models, sadly, are out of my price range.
Will I still be ok with the 13"?

If playing modern 3D games like Civ6 is a priority for you, in my opinion you'd be better spending your money on something else that has a dedicated GPU (AMD or NVIDIA). If staying with Mac is important to you, get a 15" or an iMac instead.

Quote did not come through.... "Same as what I'm (probably) getting, except for the SSD. I'll get the 512GB instead because I simply can't justify how much Apple are charging for the larger ones. If I run out of space I'll use external storage."

The 500 -> 1 TB was worth it for me. I currently have a 500 GB with a 128 MB TarDisk in the SD slot. Without an SD slot, I needed the extra space for my various partitions, not to mention files.

Now the 1 TB -> 2 TB bump was obscene. :eek:

Edited to add quote.

My next computer will be an iMac for obvious reasons. I am still keeping my early 2013 15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display for other purposes.

Unfortunately, no new iMac models are being released this year. At least it means that I can save up for a much better iMac once it comes out.

The Radeon Pro 450, 455, and 460 are definitely capable of running Civ6 in either macOS or Windows. They're based on AMD's polaris GPU architecture, and deliver some of the best performance-per-watt of any GPU they've ever made. AMD even put together a mini-site to highlight them.

I'm also fairly certain the Intel Iris 540 should have no issues, either. Performance of that chip is reportedly better than the Iris 6100 that's in the previous generation 13 inch MacBook Pro, and my girlfriend reports no issues with running Civ 6 Mac on her notebook.

Im both a Mac and a PC user. Honestly, with each release of the macbook pro lines apple tends real do a hit on the professional users. their pricing for the model is obscene.

I still love the OS, and ill be honest, the touch bar does sound interesting, but the reality is, hardware wise? Its just not worth it. Especially not for the price. "pro"? not really.

Personally I think the new 15" MBPs are fantastic. They're powerful enough for me, I like the new touch bar, and I'm not losing any ports I care about. But they are overpriced, painfully so.

I fully agree.

What I mostly reproach to Apple these days is to overpricing a "pro line" of computers when besides, they are much less involved than before in computers :/ Now calling "Pro" an apple computer is more a marketing matter to sell the more expansive to new Mac users who'll use the same ratio of brain/computing : 10% :D

Top Bottom