New Mafia Game - finished 11/11/19 (MAFIA flawless victory)

TBH I didn't have a clue, just a feeling we were getting nowhere with our lynch candidates.

Big congratulations to the mafia team, you played really well! And big thanks to our beloved GM for delivering the goods yet again.
Nonetheless, next game I want a sprinkle of town abilities if we're doing a three person scum team.

If we had looked closer at simpler mafiosi factors like activity flow and vote timing and such, we'd probably be closer. But like said, they played well.
but Csargo is 100% guilty - 110% looking at the Argon kill. I'll stake my life on that.
Well, I'm here for your life. :) grimreaper.jpg
Snerk's fate was worse…
I dunno I doesn's sound too bad. :groucho:

• MaryKB really did forbid any killing of Snerk whatsoever in the mafia communications channel.
:love::love::love: All is fair in love and mafia though!
I'm glad that for once I haven't had to replace any players.
Yup, pretty good activity level compared to the last game. Good stuff.
Well, that was a whitewash. Now I didn't suspect the other two, but Mary was pretty clearly Mafia. Why did hardly any one else see that?
Bet you feel pretty stupid for not joining the game so you could have shared all of this obvious wisdom of yours.

Last edited:
I thought arousing Ninjacow's suspicion of me being a Maf would save me from a night kill, but he turned out to be a maf and took my claim of powers seriously.

Bet you feel pretty stupid for not joining the game so you could have shared all of this obvious wisdom of yours.

I'm sure I could have found a different way to be stupid if I'd joined. :p

I thought arousing Ninjacow's suspicion of me being a Maf would save me from a night kill, but he turned out to be a maf and took my claim of powers seriously.

And that's why vague claims of powers don't usually work. Even if Ninjacow hadn't been Mafia, it wasn't as if you'd said that privately, after all.

I'm so sorry everyone!

I'm sorry I did such a terrible job at hiding my mafia affiliation. I was in a moral conundrum, as I felt I have to play by the rules and try to do my best, and I also can't sabotage my team, but I also struggled with "lynching" people. I don't know why, but I took the deaths seriously, even though I know it's only a game :p

My favorite parts were the daily excitement and talking secretly with my team. I struggled with being deceptive, hopefully I can be a true innocent town person next game! :)

You clearly did an excellent job at hiding your affiliation, which is why you recorded a flawless victory. :)

You're too good and pure for anyone to believe you could be mafia.

Oh noo. I failed. Congrats to Ninjacow for reaching towncore. I wish you didn't get discouraged Csargo, that only made me certain.

It didn't seem like anyone was going to be swayed by anything I said especially the last day phase. Not that I did anything particularly good this game, but it seemed unlikely that if I wasn't lynched Day 3, then I was absolutely going to be lynched the next day phase.

It stranded the line. However, it was 100% MaryKB, and that was enough.

I'm coming around to the view that if people are going to sign up I might do a magic bag game or other non-SOB setup.

The reason why I didn't add any power rôles for either faction is that for people who haven't played in a long time or never at all it is awful to just see the game blown by random luck (scan results) or hidden abilities such as ‘we found the mafia but that player's unlynchable’; also, sudden multi-kills etc. are difficult to balance with fewer than 20 players.

But one can try.

What say you, CFCers? It was nice to have a team that a) played and b) didn't cheat or break the commandment in the book of choxorn that reads ‘Thou shalt not metagame in vain’. :salute:
I am in for the next game. Vote: Takhisis :thumbsup:
vote: RRRaskolnikov

A doctor role (or whatever it's called who can pick a player each night to prevent mafia kills) probably wouldn't be too game-breaking with <15 players, right?

A doctor role (or whatever it's called who can pick a player each night to prevent mafia kills) probably wouldn't be too game-breaking with <15 players, right?

Doctors aren’t too gamebreaking in of themselves, but combined with other power roles things can get wonky (Doctor + Cop = Unkillable Cop, Two Doctors = Invincible Duo).

Maybe there could be a rule that a doctor has to pick a new person to protect each night. So they can't protect the same person two nights in a row.

Edit: And no awareness of townie roles, maybe? So they don't get a chat like the mafia does. They're just as independent as a vanilla player.

I hope this wasn't too negative an experience for you, Csargo. Your D1 contradiction in townleaning and defending me while reporting under pressure you didn't care if I were lynched, plus your reaction to my team guess and subsequent reaction to my sussing you are what made me suspect you. But the D2 and D3 wagon formations are what made me go all in, as they were consistent with defense of caught mafia (though it turned out they were coasting on the status quo...). I just assumed no one wanted to defend you, nor you yourself, because you were in anti-spew.

Bad application of meta on my part too. You're more whimsical as scum, even when threatened.

Oh dear, so two innocent people already dead ...

Okay, so I think I'm starting to get the hang of this, but please let me know if my thoughts are totally off base - this is my first time playing, so I don't have experience with nuances of these conversations.

Rakkoon voted for classical_hero, and both were innocent. I didn't see Rakoon annoying anyone else, so could his murder just be random? Tim, Topsecret (who voted for Rakkoon), and Snerk all made jokes about killing and eating Rakkoon, so were they already targeting him?

JohannaK voted for me (twice!) If he's mafia and wants me dead, couldn't he have used his night murder to dispatch me? I feel confident he's innocent.

Tim and Synsensa each voted for each other, and kept switching votes ... I don't know, but changing your vote a lot seems suspicious to me, like you're trying to sow confusion. Tim especially was pushing hard against Monty, but then later backed off to help murder an innocent. Might he know who the villains are? He also seems to be sort of overcompensating, talking about how innocent he is ... I sort of get a vibe of that kid in the classroom who says "It wasn't me!" when the principal walks in, right?

Csargo wants to vote for support - could this be his way of hoping to protect his fellow mafia? He also told me the fun of the game is killing innocents, but he and Tim really had a dispute about Monty. Csargo says "Monty's the most townie person here", but he thinks killing innocents is the fun of the game? Hmm, I don't know, but I just sort of have this feeling that Tim, Monty, and Csargo were almost overdoing it with trying to make it very publicly known that they're not together.

Right now, my gut feeling is that Tim, Csargo, and Montmorency are the villains. I don't at all feel confident in this, so I'm not ready to lynch any of them.

Vote: Abstain

I'll change my vote later if more evidence shows up.

I said that the Mafia avoided interacting, but this is a good showcase. Notice how in her first full reads post Mary does not even mention her partners, despite reading everyone else. I know I complain a lot about MU activity levels, but one virtue is that because there are so many points of interaction created in hundreds of posts, flagrant power scumming like the above becomes very easy for many players to notice. Light games like the CFC standard are easier to reread and follow along with, but the lower absolute number of interactions means without a flip this kind of slip is more difficult to catch.

I'm coming around to the view that if people are going to sign up I might do a magic bag game or other non-SOB setup.

The reason why I didn't add any power rôles for either faction is that for people who haven't played in a long time or never at all it is awful to just see the game blown by random luck (scan results) or hidden abilities such as ‘we found the mafia but that player's unlynchable’; also, sudden multi-kills etc. are difficult to balance with fewer than 20 players.

But one can try.

What say you, CFCers? It was nice to have a team that a) played and b) didn't cheat or break the commandment in the book of choxorn that reads ‘Thou shalt not metagame in vain’. :salute:

vote: RRRaskolnikov

SOB = bastard? Most roles aren't bastard tho.

How about role madness? A very long time ago on the Org Visor did a game in which all the players invented bespoke roles and he randomly assigned them.

And why don't you accept misspelled votes as valid?

Doctors aren’t too gamebreaking in of themselves, but combined with other power roles things can get wonky (Doctor + Cop = Unkillable Cop, Two Doctors = Invincible Duo).

Man this is an old school throwback debate. It soothes me but as it happens Mafia theory has advanced considerably. Even in the old days I recall one option was to disallow consecutive protection on same target, but nowadays setups are regularly balanced by pairing Town doctor with Mafia strongman (i.e. protection-breaking kill), as well as limiting role usage to a number of shots or to specific nights.

I think that against a 3-person team, one or two power roles would have been, if not necessary, desirable.

I hope this wasn't too negative an experience for you, Csargo. Your D1 contradiction in townleaning and defending me while reporting under pressure you didn't care if I were lynched, plus your reaction to my team guess and subsequent reaction to my sussing you are what made me suspect you. But the D2 and D3 wagon formations are what made me go all in, as they were consistent with defense of caught mafia (though it turned out they were coasting on the status quo...). I just assumed no one wanted to defend you, nor you yourself, because you were in anti-spew.

Bad application of meta on my part too. You're more whimsical as scum, even when threatened

Nah, it wasn't a negative experience. It's to be expected considering how long it's been since I last played. It was bad I guess to say that I was leaning town on you, but didn't care if you were lynched. I don't think I have the best track record of correctly predicting you're alignment, and that was mostly why I wasn't terribly concerned if you were lynched or not. I thought you were town, but was not 100% certain, so I said what I said. At the end I wasn't even sure how to defend myself, because there was little discussion about my actions, and just votes. I didn't see any possible way to argue out of the situation I was in.

I kinda wish I would have known who were first time mafia players, because I probably wouldn't have focused so heavily on Tims/Syn being scum I don't think, had I known. It was probably in the thread somewhere, but I completely missed it I guess.

SOB = bastard? Most roles aren't bastard tho.

How about role madness? A very long time ago on the Org Visor did a game in which all the players invented bespoke roles and he randomly assigned them
SOB= son of a female dog

Role madness? Wow. That… might be utterly unbalanced, but if people are up to it, sure. It can be fun!
Montmorency said:
And why don't you accept misspelled votes as valid?
I like to leave as little room for tampering as can practically be done, mostly because of earlier experience over the past decade with borderline cheats, metagamers and ‘angleshooters’. Since this isn't the .org where you can change your username to @a#$abjg%&sdakf on a whim then things can be kept safe more easily.

Well, I'm going to take a large measure of responsibility for the town getting killed. The whole shenanigans with Syns and Csargo on day one created a huge cloud of confusion that never had a chance to clear. Well done to the mafiosos taking advantage of cover though, for sure. Hopefully next game I will just be dismissed as the town clown so as not to cause so much trouble.

Hopefully next game I will just be dismissed as the town clown so as not to cause so much trouble.
This really confirms that I won't be on the player roster but as a GM then.

Are you ready to take over?

Top Bottom