New mod requires beta testers

jj2008

Chieftain
hello everyone, a new mod for Civ 3 Conquests called 'Golden Era' is available for beta testing, if indeed anyone still actually plays civ 3 conquests (personally, I love it). Its an extension of Civilisation 3 with some new superpower nations, some old ones removed, a redesigned technology tree, new units, buildings etc, and a bunch of maps as well.

There is no link available on the web yet, since i want to test a bit more for bugs before uploading everywhere, but if anyone would like to help test this mod, please add me as a friend, send me a message, reply to this board, whatever, and i will share the download file with you.

After a few people have tested it and reported the bugs other the next week (including me!), i will post up a torrent link here to download the whole thing.

i will post up a torrent link here to download the whole thing.

Kind of off-topic, but I don't know why this idea has never caught on here. With all the concerns over upload space and quotas, and the hacking scare, I'd think torrenting files would be the ideal solution. :dunno:

By the way, you'll probably get more bites if you explain what this mod does in a bit more detail. ;)

Kind of off-topic, but I don't know why this idea has never caught on here. With all the concerns over upload space and quotas, and the hacking scare, I'd think torrenting files would be the ideal solution. :dunno:

By the way, you'll probably get more bites if you explain what this mod does in a bit more detail. ;)

yeah, torrent would be better, and for sure after ive done some more testing, and found a couple of other people to help testing i'll definately upload a torrent.

I guess the main reason is i dont want to go to the effort of seeding a torrent and spending hours distributing it, and then later discovering a bunch of bugs that i want to change, so i would rather one or two people test it out first.

in terms of summarising what the mod does heres a brief summary:

This mod is basically a complete revision of the tech tree so that futuristic techs can be researched after the basic one, and also some new techs have been introduced in the ancient, industrial and medieval time periods. After that, I created a kind of back-story about 5 global superpowers, and this shaped the development. I tried to balance the game as best as possible, so that each of the 5 superpowers has advantage and dis-advantage, and also that the units are balanced in terms of power.

New Technologies: about 36
New Governments types: 3
New Units: about 80
New Improvements&wonders: about 36
New Resource types: 6

there are also 6 playable maps, random map, earth map, and 4 futuristic scenario maps.

The only problem I see with torrent sharing is that... since torrent is P2P (I think it is right ? :)) to get a good download speed, enough users would have to be available to share it from. This may not work so good for files that are 'not common'. It would probably be better to place it on atomic gamer or something, that way users' that wish to download it, are ensured that they can do so.

Might be wrong though, I'm not too familiar with torrents. You also may want to consider having public beta test of your mod as well, you would definitely get more feedback.

The only problem I see with torrent sharing is that... since torrent is P2P (I think it is right ? :)) to get a good download speed, enough users would have to be available to share it from. This may not work so good for files that are 'not common'. It would probably be better to place it on atomic gamer or something, that way users' that wish to download it, are ensured that they can do so.

Might be wrong though, I'm not too familiar with torrents. You also may want to consider having public beta test of your mod as well, you would definitely get more feedback.

yeah, maybe that's a better idea, if nobody else replies in private, i'll upload a beta version publicly somewhere anyway :)

It seems that you're right, download speed is related to the number of peers. So it would only be practical for the more popular files. Oh well.

It seems that you're right, download speed is related to the number of peers. So it would only be practical for the more popular files. Oh well.

do people still even play civ 3? i thought it would be all playing civ4

do people still even play civ 3? i thought it would be all playing civ4

There is quite a large community of people who play Civ3 and view Civ4 with anything from indifference to outright distaste. Civ3 is still on the shelves of the Best Buy near me and appears to be selling quite well. If Civ5 follows Civ4 in demanding the fastest possible processor and best possible graphics card, that will probably continue. I have only 2 computers that can run Civ4 without borrowing either my daughter's or my wife's laptop, but I really do not like the graphics or the game itself.

I view Civ3 as far superior to Civ4.

With respect to your mod, you would likely do better posting it somewhere for download.

Some screenshots would probably get more people interested, too. Techtree, new units etc.

And there is still a small, but dedicated group of Civ 3 modders and players.

Cheers,

Nick

here's some screenshots of the tech tree i just uploaded

techtree1.jpg

techtree2.jpg

techtree3.jpg

techtree4.jpg

I'll be willing to test it once you get it up.

well, its nice to see there is still some interest in civ 3, and people still play it. Nobody seems to want to get the file from the file-sharing site I put it, so in the next days i will get a torrent up for this mod (a beta version mind) so keep an eye on this space!

here's a link for the beta version (1.0c)

http://www.filefactory.com/file/b2bd392/n/GoldenEraBetav1cForConquests1_22.rar

..scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the green 'download now with basic version' button.

hope it works :p

It worked. Mod loaded quickly, ran smoothly, and turns were quick. One thing I would change is the terrain. Rhye's looks like a good match, or maybe Snoopy's.

Another thing I would change is the shield cost for settlers. Since it costs 4 pop per settler, then it really should cost more shields to produce one, otherwise you wind up waiting with the turn counter set at one for turn after turn after turn for a settler to finally be produced. So up shield cost for settlers to match pop cost.

Update: Editing your OP to include the link is a good idea.

The first download failed for unknown reason, but my unstable connection might have something to do with it. And then the message:

You still need to wait 3350 seconds :eek:

I still can't believe such an inept rule could have been imposed. :)

It worked. Mod loaded quickly, ran smoothly, and turns were quick. One thing I would change is the terrain. Rhye's looks like a good match, or maybe Snoopy's.

Another thing I would change is the shield cost for settlers. Since it costs 4 pop per settler, then it really should cost more shields to produce one, otherwise you wind up waiting with the turn counter set at one for turn after turn after turn for a settler to finally be produced. So up shield cost for settlers to match pop cost.

Update: Editing your OP to include the link is a good idea.

@ Diviner> You still need to wait 3350 seconds? wow, thats a long time to wait!!!! :p

@mythusmage>Another thing I would change is the shield cost for settlers. Since it costs 4 pop per settler, then it really should cost more shields to produce one, otherwise you wind up waiting with the turn counter set at one for turn after turn after turn for a settler to finally be produced. So up shield cost for settlers to match pop cost

um, what? settlers cost 4 pop?? since when, they are supposed to cost 2 population :)

are you playing in the multi-player mode or something? because i don't think i have played in that mode one single time.

I have successfully downloaded it for the second time.

I have been playing a random standard sized, continent map in Warlord with the Mayans. Now I am in the medieval part of the second era, but as the development pace is slower it feels that I have played many more turns :) I like the general flow of the game, the tech-tree, the buildings etc. AI is superb, congratulations. Its warlord and I am not the powergraph leader! :eek:, though he has got an extremely good start location with lot of fertile lands and lot of room to expand.

Now here's some things to think about:
- As the mayans I could not build Swordsman! :eek: I think it was not intentional, luckily I had Horses so I was safe and here is the second thingy.
- Are Chariots supposed to be stronger than Horseman - which is deeper in the tree? As it was not an upgrade line it was not crucial, but it is weird.
- You should add some more leaderheads, in my game there was two Hiawatha :) Before the game I read the descriptions and found that maybe there are two Gandhis too. Also I met a Tokugawa-like Aztec leader which is greatly surprised me :D Here at CFC there is a huge archive of leaderheads and there are many-many high quality ones why not pick one?
- Isn't it weird that I could meet a green mayan warrior which I couldn't even build while I am Mayan? :D
- Generally I don't think its a good idea to have the superpowers' member nations to be playable alone. The Iroquois declared war on me and I had the alliance send - guess what - Iroquois Warriors against them. I think its a little weird.
- Why farmers could chop forests? I don't see the reason. It is okay to let them chop jungles and plant forests, but woods can be chopped by the same axes that the builder uses to create road and mine. Aside from this fact, I think the worker management is good and fresh it forces me to think about them more thoroughly.
- Finally, a possible conquests-bug. If you automate the builder it can plant forests. You couldn't trigger the same effect with you controlling the worker.

I think I have summarized most of my impressions. I will keep posting as I continue with my game.

- Finally, a possible conquests-bug. If you automate the builder it can plant forests. You couldn't trigger the same effect with you controlling the worker.

They'll even irrigate, effectively doing the farmer's job. A duplication of effort.

Top Bottom