1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

New Mod: Unique Civ Powers and Leader Traits (IN PROGRESS)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by HardRocker, Aug 21, 2011.

1. HardRocker

HardRocker Student.

WELCOME!!!

I recently had an idea concerning BtS: what if each Civ had a Unique Power, like CiV, but each of the leaders had a Unique Trait as well?

The Answer: Absolute GENIUS!!!

The Only Problem: Absolutely NO IDEA how to make this work.

Okay, I take that back: I know how to make it work, I just don't know what leader Unique Traits I will want to use...

Which is where you come in! You can help by submitting any idea for any leader in the original expansion Beyond the Sword. All you have to do is post the leader, what you think the name of their trait should be, and the statistics/effects of the trait.

I honestly got through Greece, Germany and India and got the Modder's version of writers block. Wikipedia didn't help either :(. So any ideas are immensely appreciated!

I can change the Unique powers for Greece, Germany, and India if someone can post a better one, but until then I will stick with the ones I created (which I am keeping secret until I release this).

CHEERS!!!

2. HardRocker

HardRocker Student.

Greece
    Discipline of Sparta
    +50% Great General Emergence, All Mounted, Melee, Ranged, Siege, and Gunpowder Units Receive Combat I
    Alexander: Son of Zeus
    +100% Great Person Emergence, +1 :) in All Cities
    Pericles: Athenian Statesman
    -50% Civic Upkeep, +1 :culture: in All Cities
    ----------

India
    Nirvāṇa
    Mass Spread of State Religion Upon Entering the Renaissance Era
    Asoka: Enlightened One
    -25% :science: Tech Cost Until Medieval Era
    Gandhi: Peaceful Protest
    +2 :culture: In All Cities, +50% Great Person Emergence
    ----------

Rome
    The Glory of Rome
    Augustus: Romani Numen (Roman Diety)
    Julius: General of the Rhine
    ----------

Germany
    Liga der Hansestadt (Hanseatic League)
    Bismarck: Revolutionären Konservatismus (Revolutionary Conservatism)
    Frederick: The Emperor's Reichstag
    ----------

Celts
    Iceni Pride
    Boudica: Vengeance for Misery
    Brennus: Chiefhood
    ----------

Russia
    До свидания, подчиненных (Goodbye, Inferiors)
    Catherine: модернизация (Modernization)
    Peter: Expanding the Tsardom
    Stalin: For Mother Russia
    ----------

Holy Rome
    Sanctus Deo (Holy Under God)
    Charlemagne: Rex Francorum (King of the Franks)
    ----------

England (UK)
    The Sun Never Sets
    Churchill: The Danger of Fascism
    Elizabeth: Queen Regnant
    Victoria: The Victorian Era
    ----------

Persia
    Immortality
    Cyrus: Achaemenid Satrapy
    Daruis I: Hellenic Inferiority
    ----------

France
    Foreign Legions
    De Gaulle: A Free France
    Louis XIV: Le Roi Soleil (The Sun King
    Napoleon: Le Petit Caporal (Little Corporal)
    ----------

Mongolia
    Rise of the Steppe
    Genghis: Khan
    Kublai: Khagan Ikh Mongol Uls
    ----------

Sumeria
    Gods of Old
    Gilgamesh: King of Uruk
    ----------

Babylon
    Fertile Crescent
    Hammurabi: Code of Law
    ----------

Carthage
    Tyrannous of Qart-Hadasht
    Hannibal: Punic Wars
    ----------

Egypt
    Old Kingdom
    Hatshepsut: Land of Punt
    Ramesses II: Pharaonic Riches
    ----------

Incas
    Machu Picchu
    Huayna Capac: ???
    ----------

Spain
    Conquistador de los Paganos (Conquerer of Heathens)
    Isabella: Spanish Inquisition
    ----------

Portugal
    ???
    Joao II: ???
    ----------

Byzantium
    βελτιωμένη κληρονομιά (Improved Legacy)
    Justinian I: Renovatio Imperii (Restoration of the Empire)
    ----------

America (US)
    Manifest Destiny
    Lincoln: All Men Created Equal
    Roosevelt: The New Deal
    Washington: Valley Forge
    ----------

Mali
    ???
    Mansa Musa: ???
    ----------

China
    Commercial Opportunity
    Mao Zedong: Communism
    Qin Shi Huang: Terracotta Army
    ----------

Ottomans
    Barbary Diplomacy
    Mehmed II: el-Fatih (Conquerer)
    Suleiman: The Magnificent
    ----------

Aztecs
    Sacrificial Media
    Montezuma: Aztec Triple Alliance
    ----------

Mayas
    Calendar of Doom(?)
    Pacal II: ???
    ----------

Vikings
    Berserker Rage
    Ragnar: Scourge of Anglo-Saxonland
    ----------

Arabia
    Muhammed Caliphate
    Saladin: Ayyubid Chivalry
    ----------

Zulu
    ???
    Shaka Zulu: ???
    ----------

Native Americans
    Blessed of Wakan Tanka
    Sitting Bull: Lakota Resistence
    ----------

Khmer
    Monsoons
    Survayarman II: ???
    ----------

Japan
    Honor (Obviously)
    Tokugawa: Shogunate
    ----------

Korea
    Knowledge is Power
    Wang Kon: Goryeo Reconquest
    ----------

Netherlands
    Trading Company
    Willem van Oranje: Protestant Politics
    ----------

Ethiopia
    Abyssinian Tolerance
    Zara Yaqob: Nəgusä Nägäst (Emperor)
    ----------

I will replace ANY of these if someone has a better idea that is easy to manage. There are no stats because I only have a few and NONE of them are actually in the XML yet, so it doesn't matter yet, anyways.

[/LIST]
    LIST]:king::king::king::king::king::king::king::king:

3. HardRocker

HardRocker Student.

Reserved

4. dacubz145

dacubz145 Chieftain

Looks like this can be very cool, how do you plan on doing the custom civ advantages? Im sure the custom LH traits are easy, creating a new trait is simple, but how do you plan on adding the civ ones? Probably takes a way ton more then xml

Anyway think Manifest Destiny is a better one for America for sure, dont see how you can put louisiana purchace in, making america have to pay less for land maybe?? civs never trade cities anyway and idk how youd do that if you wanted to, think manifest destiny is better, (plus it triggered several wars) and it will be easier (settler build faster, double settler movement etc etc plenty of ideas there)

5. Asaf

Asaf Sleep Deprived

6. 4lexander

4lexander Chieftain

I think your idea is really a great one ;)

I agree with most of the proposed powers, but some leave me skeptical. As long as you accept suggests...

Why no one does involve trade?

It is an important game feature and some civs should fit it better than stock power.

E.g. China is not famous for military conquests rather than supremacy on commerce of rare goods.

Why not give them a power that grant a permanent commerce bonus from each of these resources?

Or unlock a unique tech that unveils new ones exclusive to them - silk, ceramic -

It fits their historical features better and it would add variety to the civs powers strategies.

Korea - Knowledge is power...

where did you find this idea? I don't even see a link...

Please show me.

Others are pretty good, so those were my only doubts.

I expect Nirvana to be a massive religious bonus for that particular victory condition...

Such an effect which cause all world people to have a "spiritual awakening" spreading religion worldwide...

...only your one or every one, in all cities or casually in X percentage...

Anyway, something that boosts up a religious victory strategy...

7. HardRocker

HardRocker Student.

You're probably right about China needing something to do with luxury resources, I was also thinking maybe something related to Zheng He? IDK

My idea for Korea being "Knowledge is Power" is that under Sejong the Great of the Joseon Dynasty, Korea gained a mass amount of territory due to the influx of technology and Sejong's openness to new discoveries.

I think I will use your idea for the Luxury resource bonus for China. Also consider that I am making unique Traits for leaders, so be thinking of that as well ;).

I may change RC (from Germany) to Bismarck's Trait and make Germany's Unique Power the Hanseatic League (which would involve a trade and commerce bonus ;))

And you are correct, the Indian power "Nirvāṇa" will involve a major boost of spreading the state religion upon entering the Renaissance Era (would have been Medieval, but Christianity and Islam are not fouded until right before Renaissance :().

I was debating between making the Arabian Power Involving Jihads or Trade in Deserts. Again, hoping for community input on this. All ideas are welcome.

8. HardRocker

HardRocker Student.

The Powers will most likely just be Super Traits, but all leaders for that Civ will have that Trait ;).

America should be Manifest Destiny (facepalm). Will change that right away. Will most likely make it so Domestic Units have an extra movement :move: point.

Thank You for the input. If someone could give ideas for stats, that would be great too :goodjob:.

9. 4lexander

4lexander Chieftain

Can I suggest something more about Nirvana? (I really like it)

Could it be a reusable power on a turn basis? e.g. 50,100,250,500...

It would reflect those moments in history in which folks look for an answer from religion...

It could work in somewhat limited way to avoid overpowering.

E.g. Spreading can occur only within cities of the civs which already have that religion in at least one city, or a trade route with it.

And it would be different in amount depending on historical period, reflecting the way technology and so transports connect the lands...

I'd like to see various powers: permanent ones, reusable ones, use-once ones...

First ones should have requirements to avoid immediate casting, second ones a limit on how often they can be used (X turns/gold/research/culture/GP...)

This would allow for more variety in both strategies and gameplay, making a huge difference in game experience based on which civ you play.

And Yes, I totally like the ideas for Arabian, both fit them perfectly.

I would suggest in such case to have different leaders, each with related trait/power.

So long player could choose not only a civ/power combo, but also which ones they prefere for their favourite civ.

Let me know what you think about. ;)

10. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

Since you need to script these powers in either Python or C++ you might as well not use traits for this. Just a suggestion, take a look at what we did with Glory & Greatness.

11. HardRocker

HardRocker Student.

I'm not exactly sure how to make these powers re-usable, only Permanent. :( Maybe I cold enlist Baldyr (or someone with equal skill in python scripting) to help with that.

With Nirvāṇa, I was considering lots of options, but I think my Original idea work well enough. It would most likely spread fastest to all neighboring nations and along trade routes. I honestly hadn't considered spreading faster in empires which already contain the religion, but I think it's a bit overpowered already :p.

Each Civ has a Unique Power, and Each Leader has a Unique Trait. Traits are always permanent or conditional, not re-usable. Sorry :(.

I don't know how to do either of those things. I'm still just in HS! But if you are willing to help, and have a few ideas for the project, I'd be more than willing to accept you're help. (That is, if you're not too busy ;)).

12. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

I'd love to help out, and we'll just have to see about that.

I was merely pointing out that you don't need to decide on any particular implementation just yet. Depending on what kind of help you end up getting you might have to start killing your darlings soon enough... :p

If you do take the long road and learn programming yourself, however, there is basically nothing you wouldn't be able to do.

13. HardRocker

HardRocker Student.

I don't understand the reference...

I have had many problems in the past merely because I don't understand the python, so learning how to program may be best in the long run. :)

I'm not trying to implement my ideas just yet, at the moment I'm just looking for input and feedback from the community. I put question marks where I don't know enough about it, or what I came up with wasn't fitting :(.

14. God-Emperor

God-Emperor Chieftain

Making a full mod (and sometimes even a small mod or mod component) is not just deciding what you want in it. It is also deciding which features you have thought of will not be in it because you don't have the time or knowledge (or enough help) to get them to work.

15. HardRocker

HardRocker Student.

OK that makes sense...

THX God-Emperor

16. mechaerik

mechaerik Tuturuu!

Its late, and i'll take a more in depth look in the morning, but a few thing stick out- for Churchill, wouldn't "Never Surrender" or something along those lines be better, in case he goes fascist? Although i suppose it would still make sense in a way... I'd definitely give it a large war weariness reduction.

For Russia, are you going to put it in Cyrillic? I don't know about that... And why not just use "Mother Russia" or something? Too obvious, going for uniqueness?

Love the concept, can post ideas.

17. HardRocker

HardRocker Student.

Never Surrender would definitely make sense for Churchill. I did think anything like Mother Russia or Siberian Riches would be too obvious for Russia. Good Ideas! :goodjob: ;)

I don't think it will be in Cyrillic. (I just did that for Pizzazz)!