1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

New Modding Basics

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Modding Tutorials & Reference' started by vans163, Oct 23, 2016.

1. vans163

vans163 Chieftain

Some basics I have learned the last 24 hours.

- Hotloading is now supported. Often 2 saves of the file are required for Civ6 to correctly load the changes.

- If you add new files to your .modinfo, you unfortunately need to reboot the entire game for them to get loaded.
    (Maybe if you change the mods uuid you dont?)

- Still no idea how to load a custom .lua file via .modinfo. But loading files that are located in Base/Assets works fine,
    and the new files override the old (currently only DLC case was tested). Adding a custom.lua file that is not included makes the game not want to load it.

poundjd and Chinese American like this.
  2. Killfalcon

Killfalcon Chieftain

If you look within the ColdWarScenario (within the Assets/Scenarios directory), it adds a startup lua file to the modinfo.

3. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

under <Components>
    HTML:
            <ImportFiles>
                <Items>
                    <File>YourImportedFile</File>
                </Items>
            </ImportFiles>
    edit : that's for new files, not sure how to replace existing files via a mod. Everything UI related we should be able to mod it using the context functions, that's a lot more works but better for compatibility between UI mods.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    Chinese American likes this.
  4. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

update: <ImportFiles> works to replace a lua file via a mod (tested with AssignStartingPlots.lua)

5. ispanets

ispanets Chieftain

Leaders' screens graphics&anims&config are hidden or can be found somewhere?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  6. onlysky1

onlysky1 Chieftain

Hello guys, may I ask you a question? how to install a mod into my civ 6 game? thanks!

7. Olleus

Olleus Warlord

unzip it into: My Documents/My Games/Civilization VI/Mods/

The final path should be Mods/Mod_name/Mod_name.modinfo

8. cy2000

cy2000 Chieftain

hmm, are there any starter tutorials? I want to learn modding for civ 6 :crazyeye:

9. Olleus

Olleus Warlord

Read through this subforum (not hard for now) and then look at tutorials for Civ5. This is a good cheat sheet. Most things are the same. Download existing mods and see how they did things.

But there are no tutorials for now. If you have no prior experience of xml/sql editing or of modding other games you might struggle. It's not that the programming itself is at all difficult. It's getting stuff integrated into the game which is harder.

10. onlysky1

onlysky1 Chieftain

thanks, I have installed the mod, then how to play the mod in CIv 6 game?

11. onlysky1

onlysky1 Chieftain

By the way, How to play the cold war scenarios?

12. Olleus

Olleus Warlord

Launch the game and go to additional content. Scenarios are there too.

13. ww2commander

ww2commander Chieftain

They are MP scenarios so you will need to set the singleplayer flag to "1" in the modinfo file for the scenario.

14. Werewolflord

Werewolflord Chieftain

Or do an hotseat game with only ai and you

15. ichbinsehselber

ichbinsehselber Chieftain

Can anyone please point me to the basic information about modding in civ6?
    Everyone posting here seems to know the most important information which is:
    1.) Where is my starting point? Is there are root file which must always be included in every mod?
    2.) When I modify an existing xml file what do I do with the modified version of the file
    3.) It seems to be possible to modfify parameters using sql. This seems great. But
    a.) how do I make sure my sql file gets executed?
    b.) where do I see the original values (do you actually view a database or do we look at create scripts?)
    4.) A simple example. Assume I simply want to change only 1 value in 1 xml file and finallize the result as my mini-mod. What would I have to do?

The Carp likes this.
  16. Nutty

Nutty Chieftain

The process will become much easier when Firaxis releases its modding tools (which should be "soon").

That being said:
    1. The starting point is the Aztec DLC in game folder "DLC" and the scenarios/tutorial in game folder "Base\Assets\Scenarios" (as well as the mods others have created). Like Civ5, a .modinfo file is the "root file," as you say, though the syntax has changed.
    2. If you're going to modify the base files rather than make a mod, just back up the original and put it in an alternate location.
    3. Very similar to Civ5, with UpdateDatabase (though again, the syntax has changed).
    a. Modding.log in the user "logs" folder
    b. Similar to Civ5, view the databases in the user "cache" folder in a SQLite Browser program.
    4. See #1.

17. Ar4n

Ar4n Chieftain

Is it impossible to make changes to the main menu ui via Mods?

I want to override the Options.xml and Options.lua from Assets/UI/, and even tho the mod loads the changes aren't shown

If I however copy my own Options files into the game directory and override the changes work fine.

18. Zakkage

Zakkage Chieftain

I experienced the same issue. It seems the main menu can't be change through mod or even a DLC. That's sad. I had to change the files directly in the assets folder. Sukritact said it too in Sukritact's Civ Selection Screen.
    Edit: Actually, if i remember well; i launched a game and then went back to the main menu and the changes i've made were taken into account. But they were not directly after the app is started. Maybe some file are loaded at the beginning of a game, not what the application starts. I'm not sure to be clear...

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    Chinese American likes this.
  19. gelodgreat

gelodgreat Chieftain

what programming language and IDE to use to start making mods?

20. Cyphose

Cyphose y tho

Civ games use a variety of different languages, but the ones you'll need the most for modding will definitely be XML/SQL (database) and Lua (complex/dynamic effect scripting). As for what IDE to use, hopefully Firaxis will release something similar to the Civ 5 SDK we can use in the near future, but short of that, I'd go for a text editor that can reliably and effectively edit XML/SQL and Lua files. Sublime Text and Notepad++ are the names I see tossed around most often, but there are certainly other options.