New Monastery and Fort City Effects [IMPLEMENTED]

raystuttgart

Civ4Col Modder
Hi guys,

once more I have ported and finished a small prototype of my old abandoned mod PttT (Path to the Throne).
As I said, I currently try to save some of them, so my efforts for that abandoned mod were not completely in vain.

Background explanations:
Spoiler :

I created this protoype about 10 years ago as a test run to try out how I could allow Improvements to give bonus effects to a City.
I was much less experienced thesed days and needed to still learn what was possible and how I could implement it.

I had lots of crazy ideas like e.g. "Windtraps", "Listening Posts", "Beaming Stations", "Bastions", "Factory Districts" ...
(And I wanted to not always use the "Worker in Profession" inside City implementation, but also sometimes something outside the City.)

My way of learning is to create a prototype, and give it a try if I can get it to work. :)
So that is what I did, I created an endless amount of conceptual prototypes.

Technical Comment:
Spoiler :

I created this as a blue print / example for other modders.
It is actually pretty simple to understand once you see the existing code. :yup:

I wanted to show them how you could give Improvements the capability to give a bonus to a City.
So in case any modder considers something like this, maybe take a look. :thumbsup:

It is of course pretty configurable in XML but I did not waste too much effort to add additional XML config options.
(Simply because e.g. "isMonastery" and "isFort" already existed in XML. Otherwise I would have implemented them of course.)

Here is the commit.

New Monastery and Fort City Effects

Basic Design Concept
  • Monasteries (that have a Missionary) can give a Bonus on Crosses to a City (if a citizen in that City works that plot.)
  • Forts (that have Soldiers) can give a Bonus on Defense to a City (if a citizen in that City works that plot.)
  • Only the City that works that plot gets the Bonus - not possible that 2 cities it from the same Improvement.
  • Once destroyed, not guarded or not worked by a citizen, the Bonus is lost of course.
  • Bonus can be stacked by building several Monasteries / Forts. (It adds, does not multiply though.)
  • 2nd level Improvements increase the Bonus compared to 1st level Improvements

Gameplay Effects:
  • Monasteries get more value and a "Cross City for immigration might consider building one in its radius.
  • Forts get more value and a "Bastion City" for defense against the King should consider also building a Fort.
For the future:

I have ideas to expand this technical concept with other Improvements but at the moment I have other priorities. :)
Once I have more time I might consider to do more with it ...

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    287.8 KB · Views: 317
  • Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    316.4 KB · Views: 314
  • Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    320.2 KB · Views: 307
  • Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    311.2 KB · Views: 313
  • Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
    312.1 KB · Views: 312
  • Civ4ScreenShot0009.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0009.JPG
    347.9 KB · Views: 319
  • Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG
    342.7 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:
Do the bonuses from multiple forts stack? That might be a little bit...well...overpowered.

Do the bonuses from multiple forts stack? That might be a little bit...well...overpowered.
Bonus can be stacked by building several Monasteries / Forts. (It adds, does not multiply though.)
Yes they do. :)
But do not worry.

1. Forts they need to have a distance of at least 2 plots to the next City or Native Village or other Fort.
The situation I have built up there was just Worldbuilder and is not possible in normal gameplay.

2. Also you need 5 Forts give +100% Bonus, and would need 5 Large Forts would give +200% Bonus.
That is really quite a lot of Forts to build and normally hardly happens.

3. The King AIs are not stupid and would not attack the City heads on in such a overwhelming situation.
They would first attack and destroy the Forts around the City and only after that attack the City itself. :)

----

Summary:
Do not worry about stacking too much. Building too many of them will be difficult and wasting ressources.
It will be a legit strategy to build Forts to defend Cities, but it will not get an exploit. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Top Bottom